• Register Today It's free!

Start and then kills, wrench icon

Rene44

Reaction score
City, State
Natchez, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer XLT
I have found several suggestions on this forum but was trying to be vehicle symptom specific if possible. I have this weekend to tinker because the dealership can’t get to me until the middle of next week.

I have a 2007 Ford Explorer XLT, V6, 4.0, 2WD, 105,799 mileage

Wednesday 09/20/2017 – we were on the highway when the dashboard flashed, “low on fuel” (we were just above ¼ tank), then it shutdown as it was showing icons (wrench, oil lamp, etc). It started right back up, got us through our shopping trip, and home. The vehicle drove just fine after the shutdown as it did when we left home.

Thursday 09/21/2017 – attempted to go to work and could not make it off the next street over. The car killed showing wrench icon. This time I remembered my scanner and got codes P0606, P060C, and P2107.

Friday 09/22/2017– this morning the car started and ran long enough for me to clear all codes with my scanner. Than the tool icon started showing (stayed on). Ran the scanner and pulled code P060C code only.

Where should I start?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The codes indicate Control Module issue and one code for the TB. 1. Disconnect battery 2. Unplug the connectors at the TB and check wires for cracked covering or wire exposure, usually right where they go into the connector. 3. If any problems, fix with electric tape, plug everything back in, connector battery go for a drive to have the ECU relearn. This is a start.

When I started the suv this morning it pulled code P0607 Control Module Performance Pending. P0607 Control Module Performance Confirmed. and the P060C Internal Control Module Main Processor Performance Pending.

When I called the dealership service person said don't go buying parts. Well I just don't want to go sinking in another $500 dollars or more at this time. But I see this box online for $250 with it programmed although I will have to pay a restocking fee if that turns out not to be our problem.

So I read online where it says to find out why the part failed. It stated they typically fail for two reasons: voltage overloads (due to short in a solenoid or actuator circuit) or environmental factors (corrosion, or vibration).

We have not had problems starting. It will start right now but will not stay running.

Also when key in auxiliary position it would say "check charging system." Well we have a new alternator and battery is a couple years old.

Thank You.

No dice. Checked wiring, disconnected unit, and disconnected battery. Reconnected everything. Vehicle ran for about five minutes and then dies. Still showing codes P0607, P060C, and the wrench icon.

Hi, did you fix the issue? I am having basically exactly the same issues. Would start up, run, the stall. Sometimes refuses to start back up, but would start back a few minutes later with P060C, P600 and P1674

My issue ended up being the engine computer ecm, The dealer allowed an aftermarket part. I ended up out of $500 instead of $1500. $1500 was for a brand new engine computer from dealer. I went aftermarket, let them installed once part came in, and my baby has been cranking and driving just fine again. Blue jay running like a champ. Got computer off ebay,

06 Ford Explorer XLS with the exact same issues truck has a hundred and thirty-nine thousand miles started driving this morning and then it stalled out for no reason couldn't get it to start for almost 5 minutes then it started stalled about 5 times within a mile I let it sit for 5 minutes started it wrench icon came on. had ruff idle , sat 5 mins started again and the wrench light went off and it ran fine Ive not pulled codes but and looking for any direction or advice on this others have found..thanks for any help

In my case it was also the engine computer. As the engine warms up it starts acting up, while being fine on cold.

Back