Starter, flywheel problems....I think! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Starter, flywheel problems....I think!

riverst

Reaction score
City, State
Hampton, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Sport
Well lets say it all started about a month ago. My truck would vibrate and rattle under the hood when I cranked it up. I thought something was loose, so i went under the truck and check just about everything i could and found nothing. 2 weeks ago, when i cranked the truck, it sounded like the starter would lock up then turn the flywheel and start the car. So I figured it was the starter. So I bought a new starter and installed it. The old starters teeth was broken on the end of the teeth. The new starter didnt fixed the problem. Now the new starter is making a whining noise as it spins. When i took the first starter off, i inspected the fly wheel and it seem fine, except that the teeth was a little shinny from the starter i guess. But no teeth was broken off from what i could see. I called the manufacture of the starter and explained my problem to him and cranked the car as i was on the phone for him to hear. The car (starter) made the same whining noise and locked up, but started the truck also. So im just trying to figure out what might be the problem. I dont what to take it to some shop and they rip me off because im not knowledgble of the problem. Also i called AAMCO and they quoted me a 600 dollar price to change the flywheel. Is this normal?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to check out the flywheel more.
Also is this a 5 speed or auto

5 speed = open inspection port, with a flashlight check out the whole thing, you might even need to turn the engine over by hand (key out of truck, battery disco)
and look at the flywheel after each turn.

It is not uncommon for these trucks to actually break flywheels.
Do a serach for that.
$600 is pretty steep, but they will also recommend a clutch, so that price will go up.

First find out what the problem is.

Does the truck still vibrate, does it still make the sound?

This is almost deja vu. What you described is almost exactly what I went through over the last few days. I tried to crank mine, and it clanked, grinded, and sounded like metal on metal hitting. After that the starter just spun freely. Well, we tore it apart to find that the flexplate (flywheel on a manual) spacer had shattered, letting the flexplate and torque converter come loose and break the flexplate bolts. Got a new flexplate, flexplate spacer, and starter and all was good. Not sure if this is your problem, but it sure sounds similar.

:rolleyes: 600 dollars is pretty steep. Money that i do not have. Tommorow I will drop it off at AAMCO. They said they would inspect it for me for free because i had my trannsmision rebuild there also. . Hopefully they will be honest and not try to over charge me or make up some bogus problems just to make a buck or two.
My truck is a automatic (1996-4.0) 140,000 miles
What ever the problem is, I hope its not 600 dollars worth of problems. :roll:

Well, the transmission has to be removed, along with the torque converter and flexplate. Flexplates run from $60 - $100. I think I remember reading that someone else paid $600 to have the flexplate replaced.

i had mine done at the dealer..mines a 4x4 so they had to drop the t-case and everything. it ended up being $450 out the door. i was very happy an i feel my buddy gave me a good deal. they replaced it with the new updated version. i cought mine VERY early. mine was making noce intermittin and was hard for the tec to hear. but i heard it as soon as it started.i know my truck. he said he neevr hears/sees them this early. that most people dont pay any attention an by the time they come in its almost fallen apart.

here is what mine looke like. it had just started to crack around the center. mine was stock with 85,500 miles on it when it was replaced.
6-24-05_flex_plate_001_(small).jpg

Dealership hook ups....now thats a sweet deal.
When you say flexplate, is that the same as the flywheel. just trying to understand the terminolgy being used. Well today is the day that i take it to the shop.
I guess 600 isnt too bad. Hopefully the problem is under 600 dollars.

PICT4614.jpg

Flex plate

Ford has an updated version for like $40.
This is a very common problem

Correct me if I am wrong, its early and I am slightly hung over but
Flexplate is what a torque converter bolts to
Flywheel is what a clutch engadges.

OOps! posted wrong part thats the spacer. 410, I had more to drink then you HA HA
I'll have to go to bed with out my milk and cookies tonight.

Alright, the saga continues.....
I took my truck to AAMCO this morning and they said that theres nothing wrong with my truck. Them jerks! I told them that my starter is making a loud whining noise and they said that is normal. Then I explained to them that sometimes when I start the truck, I hear this grinding noise. They said that when they tested it, they did hear anything and that I should take my truck elsewhere because they are not not starter experts. How lame! So I took the starter off the truck and took it back to Autozone to get another one. I thought the starter was defective. So they tested it and they said the starter tested fine. So I demanded that they give me a new starter (Duralast Gold). They did! I put the new starter on and I still heard the whining noise and the grinding noise. But after I started after the instalation of the starter- i heard the grinding noise the first time, but thereafter i just heard the whining noise. So now I know it probally not the starter. So now i think it is the fly wheel. But before i just pull up to anybodies garage, im probally gonna take it to Ford and have them check it out.

Tommorow im calling Ford. The local shops around here arent very knowlegdble of the situtation or they dont deal with that type of work. So I guess ill just take it to the dealer and swallow the harsh price. I need my truck running right again.

Today i took my truck to Ford and they said that my truck needed a new flywheel and starter. It all cost $1041 dollars to install it and the fee of the inspection. I told them that it cant be the starter because I replaced the starter yesterday afternoon. You know Ford, they want you to think that everything is wrong with your car so they can make the most profit from you. I told them to change the Flywheel and leave the starter alone. If need be later ill change the starter. So the Flywheel instalation cost $854 dollars. ..........I need beer on that one.

Wow thats alot of $$$$$$.
Next comes the you need a new torque converter, you need new seals in the trans, etc etc. Dont be surprised if the final price is about $1400.

I could do that job in about 6 hours with hand tools for under $200 total with fluids.

Dealerships are legal hustlers.
I wish you were in town to do the job. I would have thrown in a 6 pack too. Oh well, I guess everything is a learning experence.

I warn you all. Dealerships are ripp offs. Ford called me today saying that my starter was bad and I have to get one of thier starters. (note: I just bought a brand new starter from autozone the day before) I said this cant be true, so I went and picked up my starter from Ford and went back to autozone so they can test it. Starter was fine! I mean super! Went back to ford and told them that and they said that the starter was bad. They said that the people at Autozone didnt know what they were talking about and that thier parts were trash compared to Fords'. Its all a scheme to get people to buy thier parts. So I went back and forth arguing about my starter. I wasnt about to purchase thier starter and be short of $180.00. So to make a long story short, I called Autozone after arguing with the whole mangement team and the guys at Autozone were nice enough to refund me back my money. I told Ford to go ahead and put thier SUPER STARTER on my truck. From this day on......I will never take anything that rolls to Freedom Ford on Mercury Blvd in Hampton, VA. They suck!!!! They get a score of -5 on a scale of 1-10.
So I ended up paying $968.00 for them overpriced hustlers to change out a starter and flywheel. Never again.....

This is the Flywheel that ford took off....It's really busted up.

Attachments

• DSC00695.JPE
    DSC00695.JPE
    15.4 KB · Views: 5,799

96 auto 4x4 eddie baur

Ok guys so what else besides a new flywheel?? ive been thru 3 in 1 yr 1/2 guess time for a new torque converter too huh? Help a girl out..lol.. im tired of these guys takin me for more money just for a flywheel.. mine look just like the one in the pic above.. places take females for granted and this i know but, im a single mom with a 19 yr old son and 8 yr old twins.. i cant afford to keep going thru this! HELPPPP please!:(

In fact my flywheel is just like the pics above and this is the second time now within the last two week. Now i was told to get a new converter but now the other guy said he get new starter????

Back