starter jammed, engine locked, FIRE | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

starter jammed, engine locked, FIRE

lonestar

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
lou,ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT, 02 XLS
I have been having problems with my starter not disengaging, or not turning my engine over and just sitting there humming smoking my wires until I disconected battery. Today at lunch I went start it and it wouldn't start. Removed the key, but starter was still engaged, engine not turning. Popped hood and saw fire in the wiring harness between the coil pack and the heater core, (it has some kind of plug on the end too). Put it out with hand, lucky it was small. Inspected the wires, they looked fine, looked like just the black plastic casing burnt. Now I'm paranoid to do anything. IO just replaced fuel pump because pressure was low (20 psi), now I have plenty of fuel, vacuum lines full of it, so replaced regulator in hopes of gettin git started and taking it home to work on the starter.

I thought it was either the starter relay or the starter itself. So just put the ignition in run and bypassed the relay with screwdriver. Even after removing screwdriver starter was still getting power, so I assume the relay is bad too.

Now the starter seems locked up. Jump the relay on the fender and all I get from the starter is a click, tried to push start it (manual) and it seems the starter is engaged in the flywheel and locked the motor up too. So I guess I will try to replace starter in Rally's parking lot redneck style.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea, sounds like starter bendix is jamming, and it sounds like the solenoid is bad.

Hard to tell which one was the "cause" and which one was the "effect". I would guess that the solenoid was sticking, causing the bendix to stay engaged too long. With this happening, the bendix itself has now failed and jammed itself contacting the flywheel.

Even with the bendix out, I would think that the engine wouldn't have had much trouble spinning the starter motor and attempted to start. Maybe the bendix has jammed at a funky angle not allowing the starter to turn at all, dunno.

Either way, sounds like you need a new starter and solenoid. Good Luck, and be sure to post when you get her going!

Thanks for the support!!!!

Got her going, starts great now, better than ever, but now it's blowing white smoke, I believe it's burning antifreeze. I noticed it a month or so ago while I was filling up, I just figured it was cold. I guess with all the backfiring and stumbling, whatever leak was in the head gasket just got alot worse. I was a little paranoid, so I got AAA to tow it home. So I guess I will be replacing a set of head gaskets soon, along with valve cover, intake and exhaust manifold gaskets........Might as well get the heads cleaned and machined while their off. GEEZ, DOES IT EVER END. Atleast I didn't see any water in the oil.

I think I figured out the source of the FIRE. I looks like the plug wire boot on the #3 cylinder was leaking and the arc caught the heater core insulation in fire.

I just read a thread where a bad FPR caused white smoke. What would cause this, and how can I fix it, I really don't want to take my heads off if I don't have to.

Good News

the smoke cleared up.

I believe bad FPR fouled out my O2. Getting O2 lean code, but plugs look sooty (rich).

Back