1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

starter removal

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by dmac0923, October 15, 2013.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. dmac0923

dmac0923 Active Member

City, State:
      Yorktown
      Year and Model:
      2002 ranger xlt
      Hey guys,

I am in a jam and so im trying to do a little cross referencing. Im trying to remove the starter out of my 02 Ranger 4.0 4WD and i know the trucks are pretty much the same and there is alot more traffic on the explorer pages.

For the life of me I cant figure out a way to get the starter's top mounting bolt out! Ive tried countless combinations of swivels and extenstions but cant manage to get it where i have any room to move the ratchet.

any ideas guys?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. J_C

J_C Active Member

City, State:
      Florence, KY
      Year and Model:
      '98 XLT 4WD V6SOHC
      I've never tried to remove mine and don't have access to it at the moment so the following is only a random guess made in ignorance:

Can you get better access through the wheel well?

4. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Georgia
      Year and Model:
      2001 Explorer EB 5.0L
      going through the wheel well might work. Ford's stupid 3 bolt starter mounts are always a PITA. in order to get the starter out of my '61 390 i have to use about 36" of extensions, a u-joint and snake it through the motor mount.

5. dmac0923

dmac0923 Active Member

City, State:
      Yorktown
      Year and Model:
      2002 ranger xlt
      There is only two bolts, one at 6oclock and the top bolt which is like 1oclock. Its so frustrating from underneath there looks like there is plenty of room but everything from the steering shaft, exhaust, and differential get in the way

6. J_C

J_C Active Member

City, State:
      Florence, KY
      Year and Model:
      '98 XLT 4WD V6SOHC
      Might be an excuse to go tool shopping... Worst comes to worst, can you get an angle grinder in there and chop it off leaving just the bolt and portion of the starter bracket it goes through? Granted, that would probably invalidate any core charge refund.

7. imp

imp Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Missouri Ozarks
      Year and Model:
      2004 XLT
      Use a long extension, put ratchet wrench up in front of the motor mount, if need be, use a universal joint adapter on the end of the extension. This worked on 5.0L Mustang installations, may not fit in on yours. WTH. worth a try! imp

8. 2000StreetRod

2000StreetRod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year and Model:
      00 Sport FI,03 Limited V8
      13mm bolt

On my 2000 SOHC V6 both bolts are 13mm hex. As I remember, I couldn't see the upper bolt but I could feel it when reaching up from under the vehicle. I think I used a 3/8" drive, 13 mm shallow socket with a 3" extension. I had trouble with the starter wiring harness and starter because of the harness supports. My harness was too stiff to bend out of the way with the supports attached.
      LoomMntU.jpg
      LoomMnt.jpg

9. dmac0923

dmac0923 Active Member

City, State:
      Yorktown
      Year and Model:
      2002 ranger xlt
      Update-

Was able to get it off with a stubby ratchet and a 13mm swivel socket that I picked up. Several curses and bloody knuckles later tho lol

Thanks guys