steering extension rebuild................ | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

steering extension rebuild................

lounge lizard

Reaction score
City, State
Eastern PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 xlt awd
so!

since it was raining today I thought I would take a look at my steering extension that I had made when I put my body lift in my explorer.

and I found that my adapter tab for the rack tube had broken loose from the extension tube that I had made.

now there was no way it would have come apart while driving. but the steering did get sloppy and that is why I was checking out the steering in the first place.

so wile the rain had stopped for ten minutes I pulled out the old extension.
DSCN2451.jpg

the tab on the right is the part that will be used in the new extension rebuild for the most part.
after turning it down and fitting it to a piece of seamless tubing I had for this job. I hammered it into place and welded it together.

I then cut a piece of the old square tubing to use as the top mount since it was already the correct size.
and after measuring and cutting everything to the right length. I hammered the tubing into the top mount and welded it together as well.

DSCN2452.jpg

so in the rain I fought with the new extension to get it back in the steering system. and after a bit I had it back in and bolted up!

DSCN2453.jpg

it works much better around the manifold with the seamless tubing. no more rubbing!

DSCN2454.jpg

and since I welded the top mount nut to the underside of the tube. it was much easier to get this bolt in and tightened up!

then I took it for a test drive. and it is nice and tight! just like it was before the body lift was installed!

another job done and off the list! :thumbsup:

Nice work!

thanks!

glad to have this one fixed though!

do you need a seconed person to hold the steering wheel when you disconnect the bottom shaft? i wanna do it on my own

Back