Completed Project - Stic-o's 2nd gen. radius arm/coil SAS | Page 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project Stic-o's 2nd gen. radius arm/coil SAS

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Well it's Finaly Time to Start this thread.

Intro
In April of 2006 I will be doing a Solid Axle Swap on my '99 Explorer XL. Through the entire prosess I will be takink pics and updateing when there is is new info. I've pretty much always known I was going to do a SAS in my truck all along. For this reason, I have never but a dime into my front axle. I just never saw the point if I was going to rip it out.

The Plan

I plan to run a High Pinion Dana 44 full width in the front. I will be using Early Bronco Coils, posiablly 5.5" lift coils. I am still unsure of what I will be using for Radius arms, as we are still in the works. I would like to do a 3 link in the front but I don't think it's possiable with the cast wedges. I will be running 5.13 gears and plan to use anywhere from a 35" tire to a 37" tire, depending what I find. In the rear, I will be going to a 86-96 full width 8.8 off a Bronco/F-150. This will give me the ability to keep my speedometer, as well as reuseing my current locker, BTF Cover, and Disc Brakes. This will also give me a 5x5.5 pattern, and width almost dead on with the front. I would also like to move the rear leaf springs to the outside of the frame with the FW 8.8 to get rid of the spring hangers under the back doors that we all get caught on.

There alot of things still unsure, and I will figure it out as I go. Unfortally only small things will be done, until late March. Lack of funds will keep me from doing much until then. The axle will be set to go in the truck in April sometime though. Now let get to the goods. Pictures :D

The Meat
12287D44.jpg

A side dish of parts

12287SAS_Parts.jpg

I can't wait for dessert :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well got the new manual T-case in over the weekend, kinda slacking other then that. Just spent a week working in vegas, so kinda just chilling this weekend.

On another note...This case is 1" shorter and 9 lbs. lighter then my old case.

case.jpg

Shifter.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

nice... you got the boot and the shift linkage with it? that stuff is hard to come by..

and are you saying that the 1354 is an inch shorter than then 4405 or jsut the electric 1354 is a different size? I swapped a manual 1354 in for mt 4405 and don't remember there being any difference in length.

Nick26 said:
nice... you got the boot and the shift linkage with it? that stuff is hard to come by..

and are you saying that the 1354 is an inch shorter than then 4405 or jsut the electric 1354 is a different size? I swapped a manual 1354 in for mt 4405 and don't remember there being any difference in length.

the newer('99) electric 1354 case is 1" longer, Then the Manual 1354('91-'94) I put in.

lookin good there stic-o. Can you do me a favor? If you can can you take a picture of the shift linkage (if the camera can see it). I'd appreciate it

Jefe said:
So Um. . .Are you done yet?

Well the plan was for it to be back home this weekend :rolleyes: But I over tighented a Special order banjo bolt for the front calipers and snapped it in half. :banghead: So the truck's not going anywhere this weekend. :(

as for a update...

we're welding the perchs in the morning, and mounting all the shocks. Rear driveshaft is in, after we made a custom 2" aluminum spacer for it. This is only temporary, until I can afford to order a new rear shaft. All the fluids are in - the rear axle. We'll start getting the front bumper back mounted tommorow as well. If there is time we'll get the sliders back on...I kind of need them to get in it now :D So after tommorow I'm just waiting on a bnjo bolt :rolleyes: Then we can bleed the brakes and she is good to go...for the street anyway ;)

Why is it that everyone els seems like they have to make a new tranny cross memeber and you didn't?

I am glad the t-case worked out for ya. :thumbsup:

JoshC said:
Why is it that everyone els seems like they have to make a new tranny cross memeber and you didn't?

Because my RA go father back then normal. I still may have to re do it though. I'm not sue if the front driveshaft will work with it at max flex :rolleyes:

B2DUDE said:
I am glad the t-case worked out for ya.

Thanks Buddy, It went in really easy ;)

Monster Moves!

Although she never left the the driveway, she moved on her own power again today :bounce:

Today we finished the rear end. Perchs welded, axle filled with fluid, and shocks mounted outside the frame :D (pics coming soon) Started to get the shocks on the front and had to move some stuff under the hood, because the shocks are so long they go way up into the engine bay. Let's just say I understand now why Johnny (Section525) didn't use the 250 shock mounts :rolleyes: They're not long enough! We'll work on getting them in all the way next weekend, and she should be drivable on the street by then, once I get my Banjo bolt :rolleyes:

Now as for moing on it's own this weekend.... We need to move it so my dad could get his travel trailer out, so I said " well let's move it under it's own power, with no brakes..." So I jumped in and started it up...Now take note the Parking Brake does work, so this was are means of stoping it, and about four people with wheel chocks. Took off the PB, and put it in gear, and then just idle, it's started crawling over everything, curbs, up on to the flatbed trailer in front of it, the PB would bearly stop it. :eek: Welcome to 5.13's :D :thumbsup: I thought. So we were able to move it around just idlling and using the PB to stop it. It was interesting to say the least! But I'm very excited now, it truly will be a monster :D

Glad to see it finally moving on its own. Great choice on the gearing, I love the 5:13's in my Explorer. Now I just need to get the 4:1 ratio gear set for the NP231 transfer case and I will not have to worry about steep downhills anymore.

Sounds great! Can't wait to see it out on the trail:D :thumbsup:

RockRanger said:
I give it 5 trips till the body looks like jefes :D Looks good.

If we make him lead at Truckhaven, I bet we can get it in 4 runs.. Esp. the night runs down in the ruts.

tdavis said:
If we make him lead at Truckhaven, I bet we can get it in 4 runs.. Esp. the night runs down in the ruts.
This sounds like a challenge for all who dare; make the Stic-mobile look like Jefe's in as little time as possible. It already has the window basher rock damage from Calico, now we just need to scrape up the rest.

BKennedy said:
This sounds like a challenge for all who dare; make the Stic-mobile look like Jefe's in as little time as possible. It already has the window basher rock damage from Calico, now we just need to scrape up the rest.
It will be a piece of cake if he doesn't finish his rock sliders.

You guys are hilarious :rolleyes:

Anywho..here are the pics I promised...

Rear_Shock.jpg

We're probally gonna have to re do these, though because, I'm pretty sure the tires will rub on the shocks. We'll see how bad it is. I think the tire will rub on the top of the wheel well first.

Rear_Shock2.jpg

Also I don't think my leafs will last to much longer, they are starting to look like ocean waves :( I'll probally just find another set of explorer ones to put on for now.

Stic-o said:
Also I don't think my leafs will last to much longer, they are starting to look like ocean waves :(
Ah, the custom inverted W spring. They should flex great. :thumbsup:
Besides, they are still mostly positively arched, so you should be good for another year or so. :D

As for your rear shocks, yeah, those are going to cause you problems. Not to mention it doesn't look like you have enough up travel where they are currently mounted.

The angle will be hard to get with those mounts.

I've got the body lift on mine, so it was a lot easier to get the top of the mount up higher, plus they massaged the hell out of the inner wheel well to get them over the frame as much as possible.

It looks like you have the mounts at 12:00 you might have to clock them towards the back of the truck, like about the 2:00 position.

My rear springs look like that too, I learned in Moab that they load really fast & the front of the truck gets really light on steep climbs… That, plus too much junk in the back.

Next trip out there, I'm going to throw the spare inside & strap it down right behind the front seats.

Back