Stiffer Rear end without much lift?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stiffer Rear end without much lift??

Jornum1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Clifton, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport 4x4 SOHC
Hey guys, figured I would ask you all a question. I know that you can get a stiffer torsion bar for up front and it wont raise the truck too much. But how about the rear? Can you get stiffer leaves, or a add a leaf without raising the height too much? I figure you can always put another spacer in, to compensate for the height change if its minimal. Thanks guys. I just find that my rear end bounces all over the place on bumps even with the eldebrocks. I suppose the handling is good for a truck, but I just want it to handle the best that it can. Thanks guys
Jason

------------------
'99 Sport SOHC Auto
K&N FIPK, Borla Exhaust
Bosch 4+'s, Lowered 2 inches, Eldebrock shocks

I was thinking about this, because you have a sport, you only have a single rear leaf. Maybe you could take a leaf setup for a four door Explorer. Have you thought of or explored this as an option? Or you could Air springs, that would definitly stiffen the rear suspension. Hope this help! Dead Link Removed

I thought of things like that, but I was just curious, right now I am saving for my wheels and tires. I have a goal to have enough by spring ;-) I am just doing little things right now, like tinting, pinstripe, dressing up the engine and the interior. But I want to look into that next. Its hard to control yourself, when there are so many things to do, and they cost so much money ;-) Well thanks for the info. I will investigate this later for sure.
Jason

------------------
'99 Sport SOHC Auto
K&N FIPK, Borla Exhaust
Bosch 4+'s, Lowered 2 inches, Eldebrock shocks

Jason, Try poly bushings on your sway bars. That will stiffen up the roll, because they don't give as much as rubber. I know they come in different colors, but the colored ones tend to squeek after a while. The black graphite impreganted ones are better.

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

Back