Stock Clear '06 Tail Lights On My '03 Mountaineer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stock Clear '06 Tail Lights On My '03 Mountaineer

Shag

Reaction score
City, State
Murrieta, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Mountaineer '03
well after a week or so of trial & error i got these to fit right in and i was able to use the original wiring & sockets. so did i waste my time or what?

reartail.gif

drivertail.gif

what say you?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

werd... i got led's in there. although they could be a bit brighter during the day..... if you look on the merc web site they have a shot of an '06 with the brake light on and you can hardly see it. anyone know of a real bright 3157 bulb or led?

LED 3156/7 bulbs SUCK!! I got a ticket in my 94 explorer when I had them with my clears. Just get red 3157 bulbs and plan on replacing them ofter. The color on the bulbs burns off quick and just looks clear..

the color bulbs i have look pink and are not as bright at night as the led's. i'm not sure of a good regular bulb with color. the ones i bought suck as well. i see some $50 led's on the web..... don't know much about them though. anyone got any advice?

Do you have any pics of what had to be done to get those to fit your truck?? I really want a set of those to put on my 02 ex, but I can't find any info on them?? I do know that they use a 3 bulb system instead of a 2 bulb. I was just planing on using the extra socket as another brake/parking light to make it brighter.

Vic

i would double check to make sure you have only 2 bulbs. from top to bottom mine were.... night running, night running/brake/turn, reverse. now it is night running, reverse, night running/brake/turn. the top socket had to be filed a little, and the two bottoms had to be drilled out to 1-1/8" and then i had to dremel the socket pattern. the socket for the reverse needed to have the electrical tape cut back to give it more slack to reach the middle hole. i used 4 #12 self tap style screws (2 per light) because the new lights have bigger holes. the last thing i used was a rubber nipple to put over the top body mount tab on the back of the light. i made a hole in it and wedged it over the tab. that pushes into a hole in the body and keeps the light from rattling. the rest is just finding the right bulb combination. since these lights are clear and have no prism pattern in them you will need a really bright bulb. i have some 12 bulb led's which look good at night but during the day are hard too see. i need some help in this area with mine. i'm hoping some one will have a good suggestion for me. regular bulbs just look pink.

That looks awesome! I was wondering if that would work. So...they don't go right in?

well they do but.... the only thing that is the same is the hole they fit in. everything else needs to be modified. it's not too hard.... just a few hours of work.

Looks great, I was thinking of putting those on my 06 Explorer Limited; did you have to get them from the Merc dealer and what did they charge you for them? Also, do you have to use colored bulbs or are they designed to use clear.

Thanks

I'm bringing this thread back!

What do the stock '06 Mountaineers use as bulbs? Are they colored bulbs, LEDs, or do they have a translucent plastic cup on the inside of the lenses?

I have clear lenses for my '99, but I've had all the same problems, colored bulbs fade, LEDs are little dim dots, etc. So I look to the one car manufacturer that had the balls to use full clears. I figure whatever they use stock must be better than the aftermarket junk I've been getting.

i'm also curious as to what bulbs they use stock?

I am thinking of doing the same thing to my '05 X and just adding an extra bulb socket. The stock Mounties with these tails use standard 3156/7 bulbs, it looks like... when I saw a new Mounty, you could see the colored bulbs under the clear lens when sunlight hit the tails. I would do it with LEDs... there are new 3156/7 bulbs on either superbrightleds.com or autolumination.com (don't remember which) that arrange like 25 LEDs into a pattern that'll fill the whole lens, not just be a little red dot.

I wouldn't call them "standard" bulbs. The '06 Mountaineer is the only factory vehicle I know of that uses a red colored bulb (all other cars either use Amber or Clear bulbs).

So before the '06 Mountaineers, the only ones making red colored bulbs were aftermarket companies. And a few years ago, I think I bought every colored bulb ever manufactured in this world, and they all pretty much sucked because they faded. Toucan Industries Eurolites faded the least, but they still shined like little dots.

The big thing was whether a bulb was "painted" glass or "stained" glass. Most bulbs were painted, which means the paint fades and falls to the bottom of the bulb. Amber bulbs never have these problems because, since they are in many factory vehicles, they are made with quality.

That's why I'm interested in the Mountaineer bulbs. Since they probably met factory standards, these are probably one of the few red colored bulbs that are made with real quality.

I checked out those two links and I'm impressed. It's been a while since I searched for bulbs, so it looks like things have stepped up a bit. That "bayonet" effect looks like exactly what I'm looking for. I think I'm going to order some and check them out.

looks awesome

the lexus rx330 has clear tails with colored bulbs

You sure they are colored bulbs and not small colored plastic cups over a clear bulb?

The RX330? The only regular bulbs are the turn signals. which look like an amber 3156/7. The stop/running are LEDs, though.

Looks nice, good work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone know if the stock 06 Montaineer bulbs are actual red incandescent bulbs or they just have a red cover??

The new Sables have all clear lenses too, and whatever bulbs they use, fill it out nice.

I've checked out the superbrightleds.com and the autolumination.com, but I was skeptical especially for $25 bulbs. The spiders are the only ones that look like they have some coverage, but I they are too flashy for my truck. webbikeworld.com has reviews on lots of these LEDs, but their main conclusion is that no LED is as bright as an incandescent.

Back