for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Strange Noise under dash

Discussion in 'Explorer, Ranger, A/C & Heater systems HVAC' started by Wayne Coffman, December 27, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Wayne Coffman

Wayne Coffman New Member

City, State:
      Nashville, TN
      Year and Model:
      2004 Eddie Bauer Explorer
      I own a '04 Eddie Bauer Explorer, within the past several months I've noticed a strange noise under the dash. The noise occurs ONLY when driving 70+ mph down the highway and when there is a cross wind. The strange noise sounds like an air conditioner vent leak or vent that is exposed to outside air. It only occurs when a cross wind hits the vehicle. And it sounds the same as like blowing air across the top of a coke bottle. Has anyone else experienced this or am i just crazy (which Ive been told by my wife that I've this problem for more than several months)? I've not taken it in to the dealer because I'm afraid it will cost too mcuh to fix. Thanks for any help.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. gmanpaint

gmanpaint Torsion Bar Free Elite Explorer

City, State:
      STL MO
      Year and Model:
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      There is a fresh air vent under the dash kickpanels. Maybe part of it is loose? I know when I had my wheel liners removed, we thought that my vent was not right, so we messed with it, thinking we made it right. Turned out nothing was wrong with it till we messed with it..lol
      Now I get the same thing as your describing. One of these days I will remove the liner and put it back the way it should be.