Stuck - Remove EGR Tube to Remove Upper Intake | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stuck - Remove EGR Tube to Remove Upper Intake

joshfig

Reaction score
City, State
Smyrna, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 XLS 4x4
I have a 00 4.0 OHV. I am removing the upper intake to get to the lower intake bolts (to either tighten them down or replace the gasket depending on what I see when I get there).

Anyway, It seemed easy enough, till I got to the EGR tube, which is attached to the intake and looks like its welded into the exhaust system. I removed the bolts attaching the EGR valve, but the tube is welded onto a bracked that is somehow hooked onto the exhaust manifold (or the block). I found one nut and removed it (had a bracket for the oil dip stick), but that didn't loosen it.

All the haynes manual says is 'On later model 4.0L pushrod engines, it will be necessary to remove the EGR tube from the left exhaust manifold and the EGR valve.'

Am I missing something obvious here? I'm feeling pretty stuck.

Any advice would be much appriciated.

-Josh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More details

Just some more details, as I have been searching the board.

I am talking about the tube on the drivers side (00 OHV) that goes from the EGR valve up into the upper intake. I have read about a 27mm bolt. I think that is the bolt that holds the egr valve onto the tube that ties it into the exhaust manifold. The tube I'm struggeling with is different (and now unhooked from the EGR valve). It is the tube that rises up into the intake.

I'll keep looking also, but if anyone has any ideas please chime in.

The thing that seems strange to me is the loose lower intake is such a common problem I would think tons of folks would have run into the same thing getting to it. I guess the tube is not the same in earlier OHV's, SOCH's and V'8's.

Can I just pull tube out of the upper intake? Is it 'bolted' in there some how, or just held in with a seal? I would think I could just pull it out, but haynes doesn't say anything about it.

More details, this seems way too confusing. There is an EGR tube that bolts into the EGR valve with a 27mm nut. This is not the tube I'm having issues with.

There is a big metal tube that comes out of the back of the egr valve and rises up to the upper intake. It's about 1/2'' in dia. It is runs right behind the a/c compresser.

I talked to the local ford dealer and he didn't even have it on his diagram. It sounds like this is only on later OHV's.

The thing i am really struggeling with is whether I can simply give a good tug on the upper intake and yank that tube out. I don't see any bolts in the top. WHere the metal goes into the plastic, it has to slide out.

I have the instructions from the 97 shop manual. I don't know how different your setup is, but maybe this will help.

Attachments

• egrdisc1.jpg
    egrdisc1.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 19,619
  • egrdisc1a.jpg
    egrdisc1a.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 19,224
  • egrdisc2.jpg
    egrdisc2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 19,099

more

Attachments

• egrdisc3.jpg
    egrdisc3.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 19,383
  • egrdisc4.jpg
    egrdisc4.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 19,626
  • egrdisc5.jpg
    egrdisc5.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 19,398

Dogfriend,
THanks for the post. Great detail! Item 21 (or the photo next to it may be what I'm looking at. On mine (from my research I think they changed in 00), a tube goes from the back of the EGR up into the intake. The bolt it says to remove in step 21 holds the oil dipstick in place. I took that out, but it didn't loosen the bracket at all that the TUBE is attached to (the tube is welded to the bracket).

Still trying.

Got It

I got this figured out. Anyone with a 2000 OHV, I hope this helps in the future.

This was to remove the upper intake. On the 2000, there is a exhaust tube that rises from the EGR to the upper intake (pictured in dogfriends post above). In order to remove the intake, after all the other vacuum tubes and stuff are removed, do the following:
1) Remove the two bolts that hold the EGR valve onto the bracket
2) On the back side of the bracket, remove the nut (1/2''). This simply holds a bracket that supports the Oil Dip Stick
3) Either remove the dipstick or bend the bracket up (I found bending the dipstick bracket to be much easier)
4) This will expose another 1/2'' nut. Remove it, this will free up the exhaust tube (with bracket attached). At that point, you can remove the upper intake.

Challenges:
I did have a few things that I didn't get by. I got the upper intake off enough to get to the bolts on the lower intake. I could not get the upper intake completely removed as the bracket from the EGR would not fit thru the AC tubes. If I needed to get the lower intake off as well (to replace the gasket), I would not have been able to get to it without removing the AC condenser.

Also, in order to remove the upper intake, you need to remove the wire harness from the computer. It is attached to the upper intake with a plactic rivit in the back near the firewall.

This should be stickied! Thanks!

I'm so Glad I saw this. I tried the INtake Gasket Replacment and Ran into the same thing you did. I've been thinking about it for about a week now. I've actually been on the hunt to try and figure out how to remove the Dipstick. Of course it's freazzing right now So I can't stay out too long. My hand go knumb.

The dipstick is confusing, I think I ended up bending the bracket far enough up that it would slide over the stud so I could get another socket on there to get it off.

Dan

mine was totally different...I didnt remove the bolts...I just slid the dipstick thingy off the intake...up and to teh left

Quite out of date, but where would I find that gasket that seals between the upper intake manifold and the EGR system (the one being taken off in this thread).

That is what I am talkin bout! I have been fightin this egr tube till 2 in the morn. Came inside and read this and got er did. Preciate

Egr

This was exactly what I needed before I could get the upper intake off.
Silly EGR extra hidden bolt...the EGR was going to send me in for an EKG :)
Like the post on 1/14/11...out of date, but sure glad this post was still here for us.

Does any one know where I can find a replacement data link connector on-line? Besides junk yards, dealers or such? Rock Auto is where I normally buy stuff right now. Short end of it all, my car went thur the 9/29/09 Tsunami that hit American Samoa, and my data link is difficult to pulls codes from.
Connections are really bad.

parts train

I have been looking through parts train and they have great deals.

great thread. i was fighting with the egr for the last few hours. nowwww i know how to remove it :thumbsup:

My son and I are doing the same thing right now on a 98 4.0 V-6. This thread really helped. After unbolting the egr tube, etc it got stuck on the AC lines. Then lo and behold the tube literrally fell out of the plenum. We got the wrong gaskets (seals) at O'Rielley Auto Parts. Found the right gaskets at NAPA. A set with the seals and a gasket (I assume for the fuel rail) FELPRO PN MS90732

I went thru this back in September because I needed to replace the upper intake manifold gaskets to get rid of a P0171 code (System too lean).

One tip based on my experience: Make sure to use a second wrench on the lower tube fitting to keep the fitting in the exhaust manifold from rotating and twisting the EGR tube. I thought there would be no way that fitting would move after being in the exhaust manifold for 14 years, but I was wrong and ended up twisting the tube while taking it apart. Luckily, I found another one at Pick and Pull because it is a special order item from the dealer and costs about $55.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just to add one more item.
I'm doing this now on my 97 4.0 OHV and the second nut under the one that holds the dipstick bracket, is a 13mm. Very little room for wrenches to fit and a regular 13mm socket will not reach all the way down the bolt. You will need a deep well socket for it to fit.

You can also unbolt the a/c compressor and move it around without disconnecting the lines. Just be careful not to pinch the line going to the front end of the vehicle.

Back