1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Stuck - Remove EGR Tube to Remove Upper Intake

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by joshfig, October 29, 2005.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. joshfig

joshfig New Member

City, State:
      Smyrna, GA
      Year and Model:
      00 XLS 4x4
      I have a 00 4.0 OHV. I am removing the upper intake to get to the lower intake bolts (to either tighten them down or replace the gasket depending on what I see when I get there).

Anyway, It seemed easy enough, till I got to the EGR tube, which is attached to the intake and looks like its welded into the exhaust system. I removed the bolts attaching the EGR valve, but the tube is welded onto a bracked that is somehow hooked onto the exhaust manifold (or the block). I found one nut and removed it (had a bracket for the oil dip stick), but that didn't loosen it.

All the haynes manual says is 'On later model 4.0L pushrod engines, it will be necessary to remove the EGR tube from the left exhaust manifold and the EGR valve.'

Am I missing something obvious here? I'm feeling pretty stuck.

Any advice would be much appriciated.

-Josh

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. joshfig

joshfig New Member

City, State:
      Smyrna, GA
      Year and Model:
      00 XLS 4x4
      More details

Just some more details, as I have been searching the board.

I am talking about the tube on the drivers side (00 OHV) that goes from the EGR valve up into the upper intake. I have read about a 27mm bolt. I think that is the bolt that holds the egr valve onto the tube that ties it into the exhaust manifold. The tube I'm struggeling with is different (and now unhooked from the EGR valve). It is the tube that rises up into the intake.

I'll keep looking also, but if anyone has any ideas please chime in.

The thing that seems strange to me is the loose lower intake is such a common problem I would think tons of folks would have run into the same thing getting to it. I guess the tube is not the same in earlier OHV's, SOCH's and V'8's.

4. joshfig

joshfig New Member

City, State:
      Smyrna, GA
      Year and Model:
      00 XLS 4x4
      Can I just pull tube out of the upper intake? Is it 'bolted' in there some how, or just held in with a seal? I would think I could just pull it out, but haynes doesn't say anything about it.

5. joshfig

joshfig New Member

City, State:
      Smyrna, GA
      Year and Model:
      00 XLS 4x4
      More details, this seems way too confusing. There is an EGR tube that bolts into the EGR valve with a 27mm nut. This is not the tube I'm having issues with.

There is a big metal tube that comes out of the back of the egr valve and rises up to the upper intake. It's about 1/2'' in dia. It is runs right behind the a/c compresser.

I talked to the local ford dealer and he didn't even have it on his diagram. It sounds like this is only on later OHV's.

The thing i am really struggeling with is whether I can simply give a good tug on the upper intake and yank that tube out. I don't see any bolts in the top. WHere the metal goes into the plastic, it has to slide out.

6. dogfriend

dogfriend Human-Animal Hybrid

City, State:
      Carmichael, CA
      Year and Model:
      '97 Sport 4x4
      I have the instructions from the 97 shop manual. I don't know how different your setup is, but maybe this will help.

Attached Files:

7. dogfriend

City, State:
      Carmichael, CA
      Year and Model:
      '97 Sport 4x4
      more

Attached Files:

8. joshfig

joshfig New Member

City, State:
      Smyrna, GA
      Year and Model:
      00 XLS 4x4
      Dogfriend,
      THanks for the post. Great detail! Item 21 (or the photo next to it may be what I'm looking at. On mine (from my research I think they changed in 00), a tube goes from the back of the EGR up into the intake. The bolt it says to remove in step 21 holds the oil dipstick in place. I took that out, but it didn't loosen the bracket at all that the TUBE is attached to (the tube is welded to the bracket).

Still trying.

9. joshfig

joshfig New Member

City, State:
      Smyrna, GA
      Year and Model:
      00 XLS 4x4
      Got It

I got this figured out. Anyone with a 2000 OHV, I hope this helps in the future.

This was to remove the upper intake. On the 2000, there is a exhaust tube that rises from the EGR to the upper intake (pictured in dogfriends post above). In order to remove the intake, after all the other vacuum tubes and stuff are removed, do the following:
      1) Remove the two bolts that hold the EGR valve onto the bracket
      2) On the back side of the bracket, remove the nut (1/2''). This simply holds a bracket that supports the Oil Dip Stick
      3) Either remove the dipstick or bend the bracket up (I found bending the dipstick bracket to be much easier)
      4) This will expose another 1/2'' nut. Remove it, this will free up the exhaust tube (with bracket attached). At that point, you can remove the upper intake.

Challenges:
      I did have a few things that I didn't get by. I got the upper intake off enough to get to the bolts on the lower intake. I could not get the upper intake completely removed as the bracket from the EGR would not fit thru the AC tubes. If I needed to get the lower intake off as well (to replace the gasket), I would not have been able to get to it without removing the AC condenser.

Also, in order to remove the upper intake, you need to remove the wire harness from the computer. It is attached to the upper intake with a plactic rivit in the back near the firewall.

10. 96XLTRanger

96XLTRanger Member

City, State:
      Connecticut
      Year and Model:
      96 4x4 OHV 4.0 XLT Ranger
      This should be stickied! Thanks!

11. L4CX

L4CX Active Member

City, State:
      East Lansing, MI
      Year and Model:
      96 XLT
      I'm so Glad I saw this. I tried the INtake Gasket Replacment and Ran into the same thing you did. I've been thinking about it for about a week now. I've actually been on the hunt to try and figure out how to remove the Dipstick. Of course it's freazzing right now So I can't stay out too long. My hand go knumb.

12. hunterdan

hunterdan Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Fairless Hills, Pa
      Year and Model:
      2010 Chevy Silverado
      The dipstick is confusing, I think I ended up bending the bracket far enough up that it would slide over the stud so I could get another socket on there to get it off.

Dan

13. ThePhoenix

ThePhoenix Guest

mine was totally different...I didnt remove the bolts...I just slid the dipstick thingy off the intake...up and to teh left

14. Jayhawk1

Jayhawk1 New Member

Year and Model:
      '96 Explorer Eddie Bauer
      Quite out of date, but where would I find that gasket that seals between the upper intake manifold and the EGR system (the one being taken off in this thread).

15. kel

kel New Member

City, State:
      panama city fl
      Year and Model:
      2000 explorer 4.0 ohv
      That is what I am talkin bout! I have been fightin this egr tube till 2 in the morn. Came inside and read this and got er did. Preciate

16. tf43

tf43 New Member

City, State:
      American Samoa
      Year and Model:
      2000 XLS X series VIN
      Egr

This was exactly what I needed before I could get the upper intake off.
      Silly EGR extra hidden bolt...the EGR was going to send me in for an EKG :)
      Like the post on 1/14/11...out of date, but sure glad this post was still here for us.

Does any one know where I can find a replacement data link connector on-line? Besides junk yards, dealers or such? Rock Auto is where I normally buy stuff right now. Short end of it all, my car went thur the 9/29/09 Tsunami that hit American Samoa, and my data link is difficult to pulls codes from.
      Connections are really bad.

17. kel

kel New Member

City, State:
      panama city fl
      Year and Model:
      2000 explorer 4.0 ohv
      parts train

I have been looking through parts train and they have great deals.

18. norm209326

norm209326 Member

City, State:
      Westchester, NY
      Year and Model:
      '99 Explorer Sport
      great thread. i was fighting with the egr for the last few hours. nowwww i know how to remove it :thumbsup:

19. garmstrong2007

garmstrong2007 New Member

City, State:
      Newman Lake, WA
      Year and Model:
      98 XL, 03 XLT
      My son and I are doing the same thing right now on a 98 4.0 V-6. This thread really helped. After unbolting the egr tube, etc it got stuck on the AC lines. Then lo and behold the tube literrally fell out of the plenum. We got the wrong gaskets (seals) at O'Rielley Auto Parts. Found the right gaskets at NAPA. A set with the seals and a gasket (I assume for the fuel rail) FELPRO PN MS90732

20. dogfriend

City, State:
      Carmichael, CA
      Year and Model:
      '97 Sport 4x4
      I went thru this back in September because I needed to replace the upper intake manifold gaskets to get rid of a P0171 code (System too lean).

One tip based on my experience: Make sure to use a second wrench on the lower tube fitting to keep the fitting in the exhaust manifold from rotating and twisting the EGR tube. I thought there would be no way that fitting would move after being in the exhaust manifold for 14 years, but I was wrong and ended up twisting the tube while taking it apart. Luckily, I found another one at Pick and Pull because it is a special order item from the dealer and costs about $55.

21. yzrnxkn

yzrnxkn New Member

City, State:
      Vestavia Hills, ALABAMA!
      Year and Model:
      97 Sport
      Just to add one more item.
      I'm doing this now on my 97 4.0 OHV and the second nut under the one that holds the dipstick bracket, is a 13mm. Very little room for wrenches to fit and a regular 13mm socket will not reach all the way down the bolt. You will need a deep well socket for it to fit.

You can also unbolt the a/c compressor and move it around without disconnecting the lines. Just be careful not to pinch the line going to the front end of the vehicle.

22. biggerjim

biggerjim New Member

Year and Model:
      1998 Mercury Mountainer
      I don't see a dipstick bolt helping me...

I cannot seperate my intake from the EGR tube either. It doesn't look like the dipstick bracket is anywhere near the EGR tube.
      I can't remove my intake as it's stuck to the EGR tube.
      I've wiggled it, but it won't budge.

23. DB_1

DB_1 Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Quinta, Ca.
      Year and Model:
      97 SC Ranger xlt
      There's an O-ring that holds it in place...try a squirt bottle with soapy water and spray in where the tube goes into the intake. That should make it slip off a little easier.

24. EvilTheCat

EvilTheCat Member

City, State:
      Lincoln NE
      Year and Model:
      '97 Explorer
      Stupid Design

This post has saved me a lot of trouble.
      Thanks to those that posted before me. (Except for Mr.Parts train)
      I thought I'd add some photos to hopefully help others.

This is the tube in question.
      [​IMG]

2 Bolts go through the EGR.
      There's also a nut that holds on the dipstick tube.
      Remove this nut, then bend the tube's mount up and then take out the stud. (Colored for emphasis)
      Then it will be free. (I moved the A/C lines first, since they were in my way)
      Sorry I don't have a good photo of these bolts.
      Here's the hole that the stud comes out of by the dipstick.
      [​IMG]

Here's a photo of the tube to show how it's shaped.
      [​IMG]

The nuts are welded on the onto the tube. At least they're supposed to be.
      One of mine broke loose...
      [​IMG]

so I got to practice with my new welder.
      It's ugly, but it held.
      [​IMG]

The Felpro gasket set I got came with an o-ring for this tube.
      The tube just pulled out of the plenum without much trouble.
      You could use some WD-40 if it's stuck.
      [​IMG]

Maybe I could have taken the plenum off without removing the tube from the EGR.
      Anybody had success doing it that way?

Good luck

Last edited: January 22, 2012
    25. Dono

Dono V8 Limited turbo and retired SC 4.0 OHV Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      Year and Model:
      00 Limited V8
      I dont remove the egr tube anymore. loosening it seems to work for me. I pull the dipstic, and remove the bolt holding the frame of the egr, then loosen the other 2 bolts at the beginning of the tube where the gasket is.

This gives the tube more than enough play to pull the upper intake off.

I find this saves me quite a bit of time, as lining up the egr tube on the bottom with that gasket can be agrivating.

nice detail EvilTheCat! pics are great

26. chucky2112

chucky2112 New Member

City, State:
      arizona
      Year and Model:
      1999 ford 4.0 explorer
      thankx im working on a 1999 ford 4.0 explore now.Got the egr tube out with the upper intake . A/c was not in the way. boy i under bid this job. lol Chucky2112