Stuck - Remove EGR Tube to Remove Upper Intake | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stuck - Remove EGR Tube to Remove Upper Intake

I don't see a dipstick bolt helping me...

I cannot seperate my intake from the EGR tube either. It doesn't look like the dipstick bracket is anywhere near the EGR tube.
I can't remove my intake as it's stuck to the EGR tube.
I've wiggled it, but it won't budge.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's an O-ring that holds it in place...try a squirt bottle with soapy water and spray in where the tube goes into the intake. That should make it slip off a little easier.

Stupid Design

This post has saved me a lot of trouble.
Thanks to those that posted before me. (Except for Mr.Parts train)
I thought I'd add some photos to hopefully help others.

This is the tube in question.
DSCF0681s.jpg

2 Bolts go through the EGR.
There's also a nut that holds on the dipstick tube.
Remove this nut, then bend the tube's mount up and then take out the stud. (Colored for emphasis)
Then it will be free. (I moved the A/C lines first, since they were in my way)
Sorry I don't have a good photo of these bolts.
Here's the hole that the stud comes out of by the dipstick.
DSCF0687s.jpg

Here's a photo of the tube to show how it's shaped.
DSCF0686s.jpg

The nuts are welded on the onto the tube. At least they're supposed to be.
One of mine broke loose...
DSCF0707s.jpg

so I got to practice with my new welder.
It's ugly, but it held.
DSCF0715s.jpg

The Felpro gasket set I got came with an o-ring for this tube.
The tube just pulled out of the plenum without much trouble.
You could use some WD-40 if it's stuck.
DSCF0703s.jpg

Maybe I could have taken the plenum off without removing the tube from the EGR.
Anybody had success doing it that way?

Good luck

I dont remove the egr tube anymore. loosening it seems to work for me. I pull the dipstic, and remove the bolt holding the frame of the egr, then loosen the other 2 bolts at the beginning of the tube where the gasket is.

This gives the tube more than enough play to pull the upper intake off.

I find this saves me quite a bit of time, as lining up the egr tube on the bottom with that gasket can be agrivating.

nice detail EvilTheCat! pics are great

thankx im working on a 1999 ford 4.0 explore now.Got the egr tube out with the upper intake . A/c was not in the way. boy i under bid this job. lol Chucky2112

Wow...a 8 year old thread saved the day! I had to deal with this once before but could not remember if that nut under the dip stick bracket was the one that released the EGR tube bracket. After dealing with this EGR tube bracket and replacing my heater core, I'm beginning to think Ford decided to make it as difficult on us do-it-yourself types as they could; I mean who ever thought you would have to remove the A/C evaporator box (evacing your A/C) just to get to two nuts to replace a heater core!!?? C'mon Ford give us a break!!!

thanks for the photos

This post has saved me a lot of trouble.
Thanks to those that posted before me. (Except for Mr.Parts train)
I thought I'd add some photos to hopefully help others.

This is the tube in question.
DSCF0681s.jpg

2 Bolts go through the EGR.
There's also a nut that holds on the dipstick tube.
Remove this nut, then bend the tube's mount up and then take out the stud. (Colored for emphasis)
Then it will be free. (I moved the A/C lines first, since they were in my way)
Sorry I don't have a good photo of these bolts.
Here's the hole that the stud comes out of by the dipstick.
DSCF0687s.jpg

Here's a photo of the tube to show how it's shaped.
DSCF0686s.jpg

The nuts are welded on the onto the tube. At least they're supposed to be.
One of mine broke loose...
DSCF0707s.jpg

so I got to practice with my new welder.
It's ugly, but it held.
DSCF0715s.jpg

The Felpro gasket set I got came with an o-ring for this tube.
The tube just pulled out of the plenum without much trouble.
You could use some WD-40 if it's stuck.
DSCF0703s.jpg

Maybe I could have taken the plenum off without removing the tube from the EGR.
Anybody had success doing it that way?

Good luck

this thread rocks thanks for helping me with my next step..... EGR replace

In my 99' explorer, I have a P1309, P0174 and P0171, which first code means I have a misfire,,,, the plugs had 125K on them so that's the thing I changed as matter of fact,,,,,,,

I used the “TOAD” PC Software on my OBD and put up the live graph for short term fuel trim bank 1 and short term fuel trim bank 2 and long term trim for both banks as well.....

this is cool

I saw that the fuel trim for both banks was up and down near 25% to 40% (40% is maximum trim) this is the computer attempting to regulate/correct the fuel air ratio based on engine parameters throttle position, fuel type, altitude etc. also means it’s not specific to one bank or one O2 sensor,,,,,,,,

So AH HA moment high fuel trim means lean that’s why I’m getting the P0171 and P0174,,,, the P1309 means misfire, and is setting because the computer is trimming all over the place to correct the lean condition and prevent misfires but cannot be more specific as to why.......

what overall issue can affect all cylinders? MAF, IAC, ...... easier yet let’s see if there is a "Vacuum Leak",,, so I started spraying starter fluid at idle on the usual suspect rubber hoses under the hood,,,,, came around to drivers side one squirt and it started to behave badly..... bingo, hit under the EGR Valve and the Live fuel trim graphs start heading toward zero.... got it under the EGR valve near the diaphragm holes and it stalls....... start it back up and reduced the amount of spray and I can hold the graph near zero and make it stall at any time by full blast spray....

I am heading to the parts store or rockauto to get a new EGR and looking forward to having a beautifully running drivetrain,,,,,

lower ball joints and its finished for another 50k....

egr tube sohc 4.0 v6 to upper intake manifold removal tip

my 98' merc. mntneer 4.0 sohc v6 manual said like most on here stated only how to get all removed except the tube from egr valve up into intake man. WELL GET READY COZ ITS EASY! what you need to do is spray a bit of WD40 into the intake man. towards where tube enters , then lift intake up off lower one and start to rotate back n forth like you would your cars steering wheel left to right while at the same time pulling up and out motor comp. towards rt front fender. It will give with a bit of tugging but not alot. The WD40 helps tube ring gasket to slip thru with out damage anything and to reinstall just a spray of WD in slide in place with a shove to get ring gasket seated . F...k that stupid bracket with the bolt barried nowhere i can get at .. dont go crazy pulling on it , just keep working it n you will get it to pop off.

my 98' merc. mntneer 4.0 sohc v6..........QUOTE]

This is great, but to avoid confusion for anyone else finding this thread in need, this thread is about the 4.0 OHV

I have a 00 4.0 OHV. I am removing the upper intake to get to the lower intake bolts (to either tighten them down or replace the gasket depending on what I see when I get there).

Anyway, It seemed easy enough, till I got to the EGR tube, which is attached to the intake and looks like its welded into the exhaust system. I removed the bolts attaching the EGR valve, but the tube is welded onto a bracked that is somehow hooked onto the exhaust manifold (or the block). I found one nut and removed it (had a bracket for the oil dip stick), but that didn't loosen it.

All the haynes manual says is 'On later model 4.0L pushrod engines, it will be necessary to remove the EGR tube from the left exhaust manifold and the EGR valve.'

Am I missing something obvious here? I'm feeling pretty stuck.

Any advice would be much appriciated.

-Josh
Well, I'm a little bit late for you, Joe... (about a decade), but in just completing this very task, maybe someone else will read this. I have a 1996 Explorer 4.0 liter. The EGR intake tube has a very special bolt you have to work on. It's a bolt with a threaded stud welded to the top of it! So! First take the nut off that holds the oil dip stick in place (13mm). Remove the nut. Raise the oil dip stick (may take some work or PB Blaster, etc. to get it loose) and raise it just enough to clear the stud. Well lookie there! Another 13mm head! That head is the actual bolt that holds the EGR tube in placeand it bolts into the block. MORE LUBRICANT! Unscrew that bolt and the tube will come right out! Piece o'cake!

Got It

I got this figured out. Anyone with a 2000 OHV, I hope this helps in the future.

This was to remove the upper intake. On the 2000, there is a exhaust tube that rises from the EGR to the upper intake (pictured in dogfriends post above). In order to remove the intake, after all the other vacuum tubes and stuff are removed, do the following:
1) Remove the two bolts that hold the EGR valve onto the bracket
2) On the back side of the bracket, remove the nut (1/2''). This simply holds a bracket that supports the Oil Dip Stick
3) Either remove the dipstick or bend the bracket up (I found bending the dipstick bracket to be much easier)
4) This will expose another 1/2'' nut. Remove it, this will free up the exhaust tube (with bracket attached). At that point, you can remove the upper intake.

Challenges:
I did have a few things that I didn't get by. I got the upper intake off enough to get to the bolts on the lower intake. I could not get the upper intake completely removed as the bracket from the EGR would not fit thru the AC tubes. If I needed to get the lower intake off as well (to replace the gasket), I would not have been able to get to it without removing the AC condenser.

Also, in order to remove the upper intake, you need to remove the wire harness from the computer. It is attached to the upper intake with a plactic rivit in the back near the firewall.

Wow! Been beating my head against the wall with the same issue. Been messing with it for hours. I'm gonna go look for that 1/2 nut in the morning. Thanks for posting.

I was able to tilt the upper intake and not mess with any corroded bolts. I don't remember the exact position but it comes out. You can spray some PB into that EGR hole.

There is a rubber o-ring (it is different for some years), autozone carries it.

I'm stuck. Really stuck.

Trying to get the upper intake off, but the EGR is trying to kill me. Upper tube is stuck but stuck inside the upper intake. Remove throttle body spray the heck out of it, nothing. So I figure I'll take the EGR off so I can get access to the nuts for the bracket for the upper tube.

I can't loosen the upper nut on the lower tube so I can't remove EGR. I can't see how to get a deep socket on the dipstick and bracket nuts because the EGR is in the way!

I tried plenty of heat PB Blaster and kroil on the upper nut of the lower tube and accessed through the wheel well with a 2-foot pipe on my wrench.

What's the trick?

Was thinking about unbolting the ERG from the upper tube and trying to bend it out of the way to get a deep socket on the nuts, but I don't want to break that lower tube especially if I can't get it apart!

I can reckon I could get on those nuts with a crowfoot and some extensions, but that sounds painfully slow and awkward.

Please help...

:bow:

If you are working on a '98 SOHC as your profile shows, there is no need to remove anything having to do with the EGR to remove the upper intake manifold. The tube from the EGR that extends into the manifold just pulls out as you wiggle and lift the intake up off the lower intake. It can be a little stubborn...but, it will come out with some persuasion. There is a rubber O-ring on the end that seals it and is probably the cause of your grief. I've pulled numerous intakes off these engines at the JY's and you just need to sometimes get aggressive with them.

No, I needed to update my profile [update - done now]

I crashed the 98 SOHC just before Thanksgiving.

I've got a new black 2000 xls with the OHV motor now - 89K on the truck!

My problem is exactly the same as described in this thread. First attempt was two days ago. Second attempt was today.

Can't figure out how to get the nut and the hidden nut off with the EGR in place. Can't get the ERG off.

Not used to failing like this. :dunno:

Thanks for the quick reply, XLTrunner.

PS - I've read almost every thread out there on this issue

...I can reckon I could get on those nuts with a crowfoot and some extensions, but that sounds painfully slow and awkward

For anyone else in the same boat, and just to follow up...

It was painfully slow and awkward with the extension and crows foot, which kept falling off. Keep your telescoping magnet handy.

If you are working on a '98 SOHC as your profile shows, there is no need to remove anything having to do with the EGR to remove the upper intake manifold. The tube from the EGR that extends into the manifold just pulls out as you wiggle and lift the intake up off the lower intake. It can be a little stubborn...but, it will come out with some persuasion. There is a rubber O-ring on the end that seals it and is probably the cause of your grief. I've pulled numerous intakes off these engines at the JY's and you just need to sometimes get aggressive with them.

This is LITERALLY what’s giving me trouble right now. I’ve taken the upper and lower manifolds off, cleaned the snot out of them, replaced the gaskets, and am stressed that the upper manifold isn’t connected to the egr valve or the bottom manifold correctly. I’ve torqued all the bolts correctly (to the inch lb measures) so in theory it should be ok. I’m terrified to start the vehicle though!

Don't sweat it! Worst that can happen is it won't run right (vacuum leaks) and you'll have to remove and reposition the upper manifold again. BTW...did you pay attention to which way it went back on? There is a R and L molded into it for correct positioning. Visually, the upper manifold looks symmetrical...but, there must be a reason for the Right and Left designation. Good luck!

the most ive had to do when resealing the upper to the lower is a simple block sand to smooth out some pitting on the aluminum lower. the first one i swear the egr tube wasn't going to reseal it just didn't feel right but it never had a problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

His SOHC would not have an aluminum lower.

Back