1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Sudden Auto Transmission Failure

Discussion in 'Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, &' started by 4x4hokie, February 21, 2008.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 4x4hokie

4x4hokie New Member

City, State:
      Virginia
      Year and Model:
      '94 XLT & '99 XLT
      1994 Explorer 4x4
      Automatic
      My daughter was returning from work lastnight and experienced a sudden trans failure. She said that when she pulled out onto the highway the trans shifted normally from 1 to 2 and from 2 to 3, but when it shifted into overdrive it suddenly popped and immediately she had no power going through the trans. She drifted to the side of the road and had to be towed home. The trans is totally dead. The fluid, which is about a year old, looks and smells fine. The engine starts and runs fine but the trans acts as if it is in neutral regardless of where the shifter is. Park does work to hold the vehicle as normal.

What could have happened?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Glen4X4

Glen4X4 Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Lewistown, Pa
      Year and Model:
      2000 XLS
      Torque converter maybe? (im no pro at auto trans) Did you try and jack up the rear and try to put it in gear to see if the trans will run without much of a load on the tires?

4. 4x4hokie

4x4hokie New Member

City, State:
      Virginia
      Year and Model:
      '94 XLT & '99 XLT
      Did not try that but I'm 99.9 % positive that no power was being transfered to the driveshaft as when I put it in gear, the engine did not react at all. With a torque converter failure I would suspect some noise in the form of rattling parts or screeming fluid flow to be present.

I'm thinking that the shaft that drives the pump has snapped.

Tha's about the only thing that I can think of that would be so sudden and so clean and immediate of a failure.

5. Glen4X4

Glen4X4 Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Lewistown, Pa
      Year and Model:
      2000 XLS
      True...didn't think of that....

6. wood1

wood1 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      North of Edmonton
      Year and Model:
      '93 XLT, Cayman Green RIP
      A very easy way to tell if the pump is working is to remove a transmission cooler line and start the engine. If you have flow the pump is OK.

If the pump is pumping and the fluid level is good you will have to get your hands dirty.

I'm assuming there is no reverse either.

7. 4x4hokie

4x4hokie New Member

City, State:
      Virginia
      Year and Model:
      '94 XLT & '99 XLT
      What would cause a pump to fail so suddenly and cleanly with no indication before it went?

8. fordnut71

fordnut71 Active Member

City, State:
      oshawa, ontario. home 2 goverment motors canada
      Year and Model:
      99 ex sport
      the pump gear is made from powder metal

9. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      Check the pressure with a 0-300 PSI gauge to get pressure readings. The next step would be to drop the pan, and check the Z link. You said that park doesn't work. The Z link might have either bent or popped off. Check the inside of the pan for metal shavings, sprag gear fragments, and band hardware.

10. 4x4hokie

4x4hokie New Member

City, State:
      Virginia
      Year and Model:
      '94 XLT & '99 XLT
      Park does work. I will drop the pan though and check. I'll also look for fluid flow through the cooler (before I drop the pan). The pump gear theory seems plausible. Does anyone have any other ideas?

11. fordnut71

fordnut71 Active Member

City, State:
      oshawa, ontario. home 2 goverment motors canada
      Year and Model:
      99 ex sport
      could have blew out the gaskets on the valve body or sperator plate. but you should see trash in the pan if thats the case.

12. out-of-luck

out-of-luck New Member

City, State:
      Wilkes-Barre Pa,
      Year and Model:
      "92 XLT
      also i would check to see if at possible the transfer case is fully ingaged i also had the same problem a few years ago when the gear inside the transfer case became disingaged i had no gears whatsoever i called a friend who is a mech he told me to pull the tranfer case motor off and manually with vise grips rotate it into 4 low and you know what it worked and got me home i would try that because if no problems existed before hand and then all of a sudden bang id try my idea first id rather repair a transfer case than get riped off by your mech for a rebuilt transmission hope this helps