Suggestions for a bender and welder | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suggestions for a bender and welder

Rx4phun

Reaction score
City, State
USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT SOHC
I am looking at getting a bender and a welder to play around with because everyone needs one. I dont have a very large budget, I need something middle of the road but not something I will want to replace in a few months with something better. I am thinking a MIG 220 and I dont know about the bender, a 16ton hydraulic?

The things I will be using the bender and welder for would be maybe some bumpers, tire carrier, and sliders for the X.
Then I am building a little gokart/buggy for fun.
Probably a trailer
Once we sell my dad's '68 roadrunner (anyone looking for one??) we are going to get a '37 Ford Truck and make a hot rod out of it, chopped and everything. It will also have a cage b/c it will have over 500hp and maybe dragged a few times
Someday when I move to somewhere I can actually wheel, a rockcrawler buggy.
So a wide array of things and I want something that can handle this stuff for me. I dont know all the much about either of them right now. Thanks for the useful input in advance
Gary

I am looking at getting a bender
Get a pro-tool's HD from rock buggy supply... they sell em cheaper than anyone i have found make sure you get the degree and stop ring so you dont have any trouble making the same bend over and over again and if you get a welder dont worry about buying the stand for the bender as you can practice welding by making yer own stand.
hydraulic is sweet but dont worry about it too much if your short on cash as you can upgrade later.

and a welder
This is a tricky one.... just make sure whatever you get is rated to weld 1/4" plate in a single pass but stay away from exotic brands, miller, lincoln, L-tec, hobart are all great machines.
Bottom line its up to you how you spend yer money but a great combo IMHO would be a pro-tool's bender with the air over hydraulic (i have a big compressor in my garage) and a miller 220 mig.
BUT be warned this will not be cheap, with the welder and bender add some die's and a tank of argon for the welder expect to pay between $2000 and $3500 depending on how much you haggle on the prices.

Back