• Register Today It's free!

suicide hood

devilbunny13

Reaction score
City, State
san antonio texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 ford explorer sport
not sure if right place for thread but i was just wondering if anyone has tried to suicide hood on explorer...i have 02 x sport and seering if anyone has how to....thanx...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not a explorer my old blazer i did

Haven't tried it but I have heard some pretty decent reviews from Aeroskin. Any one else have experience with these guys?

whoa whoa whoa, isnt the stock configuration technically a "suicide" hood since you're SOL if it opens on the highway? So having said that, a "reverse" hood would be a "safety" hood since the air would keep it from opening all the way - and there's nothing "suicide" about the system. :)

has anyone ended up doing this, i wanna make mine like a mack truck and have the entire dog house open but i'll settle with just the hood and go corvette style

This is my old 1987 GMC Sonoma that was totally custom. I used a hood hinge from a 1988 Buick LeSabre, modified it alittle but it was pretty easy. The hardest part was lining the hood back up because I did the suicide conversion after we did the flames.

picture.php

You said you want to do a full tilt frontend. I know I've seen a couple Explorer's and Ranger's on here with a tilt frontend and just the suicide hood. I would do a google search with the titles "Explorer tilt frontend", "Ranger tilt frontend", Explorer suicide hood", Ranger suicide hood". There's thousand's of truck's out there with these mod's done.

how did you modify the lesabre hood and get it to work without destroying the hood with bolt holes

can you leave the original latches in place and just use new hinges or do you need to have the entire assembly, what all is involved in taking on this mod

I had to knotch out 2 3/4" out of the center of the crossbar, I slid a 18" long piece of 7/16" thread all bar inside the crossbar for extra support and welded it back together.

I used a cutting wheel to slice a hole on the inside of the mounting section to access the bolts and nuts and bolt the hood to the hinge.

Corkey is that on a Malibu or what car is that?, can't tell from the picture.

You just need the hinge, I got mine from a junkyard car for $30. On the Sonoma/ S-10 you cut the factory hinges about half way down and use the half that's still bolted to the hood to slde down into the channel and locks the backside of the hood down.

the more i read and look at all kinds of threads on this the more i get confused, so will almost any hinge work. Like if i unbolted the ones off of my own car then re secured them from the front to the back and put them on backwards (passenger to driver and vise versa) then the hinge would open up and yet it will still be as strong???

it's an old Plymouth i think,
i googled it,,

Back