1. It's time for our yearly 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale! Last day is November 30!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a full two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership!

If you would like to extend an existing membership for two more years please contact "Rick" through a conversation/private message as I will have to set up existing memberships manually. Thank you and happy holidays!!!
    Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Sumo Springs

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by explorer_fisher, June 16, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. explorer_fisher

explorer_fisher New Member

City, State:
      CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2006 Explorer Limited AWD
      Hi, to following on my other question about towing a 5000lb boat with my 06 Explorer LTD 4WD

I didn't want the rear to sag, so I asked my local trailer shop to install air bags. They told me that no air bags are available for my vehicle, but they can install "Coil Sumo Spring" for me. I guess the advantage is there's no bag to puncture, and disadvantage is it can't be adjusted, so it's going to be stiff all the time.

I found a video:

Has anyone installed Sumo Springs on their Explorer? Any feedback?

Thanks

2. Support EF

Holiday Special through Nov 30! Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. SixPonies

SixPonies Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Mahomet, IL
      2010 Sport Trac LTD V8
      Why not just get a weight-distribution hitch like the one linked below? If installed properly, the rear end of your vehicle won't sag. Moreover, your ride quality won't be compromised when you're not towing the boat.

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/

4. Explorer_PL

Explorer_PL Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Rockland County, NY
      06EB V8 & 07EB V6
      I am not sure the boat trailers have an A-frame type front to use that.

Usually, it's just a long straight enclosed galvanized square tube around 4x4 inches in cross section.

5. michael loibl

michael loibl Active Member

City, State:
      maywood, new jersey
      2006 eddie bauer
      Remember, if the boat trailer has hydralic surge brakes, you can't use a weight distribution system

6. explorer_fisher

explorer_fisher New Member

City, State:
      CA
      2006 Explorer Limited AWD
      I went ahead and had the sumo springs installed. I didn't find the ride quality to be any worse than before -- granted it's a truck-based SUV, I never expected any ride quality to begin with.

I didn't feel the back to be any different than before -- it could be stiffer, but I can't tell.