supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport | Page 83 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport

hi everyone, my name is tim . i live in selkirk, manitoba, canada and as if this date that i am posting this, i am 36 years old.

i bought my sport in jan 05 from a local ford dealer. it had 111,000KM's on it. this is the second sport i have owned. it was sitting on the lot for about 8 months before i came along. i am the third owner (i was able to track down the person that traded it in, and they got it from a friend, who bought it new in 98).

i started to do a few things to it after i first got it, then i found this site, and all hell broke lose! i've never been satisfied with something the everyone else has, so i started to tinker with it even more.

19_Medium_.jpg

15540626_10154060266577513_2405619719549828739_o.jpg

14242313_10153799452207513_5208987697549996496_o.jpg

50213558658671_547488670_7421875_7068292_n_Medium_.jpg

15_Medium_.jpg

evil_and_min_evil.jpg

DSC01337_Medium_.jpg

DSC01341_Medium_.jpg

DSC02874_Medium_.jpg

10660988_10152352316047513_1588917598_n.jpg

m122b.jpg

981349_256309931177894_674155846_o_1_Medium_.jpg

DSC04422_Medium_.jpg

mods include

interior

installed factory tilt, cruise, overhead console, auto dimming mirror, full length console, with a message center (it didn't have these from factory).

white face with blue flames indigo gauge covers (they light up blue)
blue l.e.d. everything
white l.e.d. interior lights
Kenwood DDX392 Touch Screen Head Unit
alpine 4 channel amp (all four speakers)
boston acoustic front and rear speakers
alpine mono amp (for sub)
2 12 inch jl audio subs
rockford fosgate cap
passenger side one touch window down mod.
custom transfer case shifter
tripple a pillar gauge pod, housing autometer boost, Innovate LC-1 wideband, and oil pressure gauge
12v power inverter with 120v plug in a 2 usb plugs built into the center console

exterior

BMW E46 projectors, mounted into stock housings using clear lens
6000K HID head lights
angel eye "driving" lights, with 8000k h.i.d.'s
clear parking/corner lights
billet grill (powder coated by Turdle)
blacked out ford emblems
custom front steel 95-98 bumper, with 4 inch round tubes welded in for driving lights
shaved radio antenna
shaved roof rack
black euro tall lights
l.e.d. license plate lights
smoked out 3rd break light
lund rear tailgate spoiler/wing (formally from the truck "blackjack" owned by EF member Spas)
hand made roll pan (made from 3 1/2 rear bumpers, with 1/4 inch diamond plate on the top, and it is removable)
aluminum T/A differential griddle/cover (powder coated by Turdle)
Motegi Mr107 20' rims
goodyear wrangler hp p245/50 r20
1 1/4 wheel spacer in the rear, 3/8 in front
and most noticeable, black with blue pearl paint, and blue true fire (ground effects are black with blue pearl as well)

Suspension

2 inch lowering blocks in the rear, reverse TT in the front (2 inch as well)
Explorer Express rear sway bar
4 door leaf springs
rancho rs9000 adjustable rear shocks
03-05 sport trac spindles with drilled and slotted rotors

performance

5L swap
347 stroker
TFS twisted wedge alum heads
comp gold 1.6 rockers
comp cams CCA-35-556-8 nitro cam
heavily modified edelbrock victor jr air gap intake (which serves as a valley pan now)
eaton m122 supercharger (metco 2.70 pulley, and ASP 8 rib 7 1/4 crank pulley) with custom made mount with bell intercooler core
8 rib serpentine belt conversion using pulleys from a 7.3 powerstroke
custom made 3 1/2 inch throttle body elbow
accufab 75mm throttle body
4 inch intake pipe
PMASS MH90 90mm Universal 3000 KG/HR MAF
amsoil cone filter
F.A.S.T. 60lb injectors
edelbrock fuel rails, trick flow specialties fuel pressure regulator with summit racing fuel pressure gauge
walbro 255lph fuel pump
1/2 inch steel braided fuel pressure line from tank to rail using 8AN fittings
torque monster headers
2 1/2 duel pipes with flowpro duel in and out 2 1/2 single muffler
accel extreme 9000 ceramic 45 degree plug wires with boot protectors
4R70W w/2600 stall with J mod
tuff stuff 200a alternator
tuning made possible with sct pro-racer package, and tuned with major help from member [MENTION=102869]Dono[/MENTION] and [MENTION=81804]4pointslow[/MENTION]
flex a lite duel 12 inch electric fans
big 3 upgrade (4 gauge wires)
meziere innercooler water pump
2 froozenboost innercooler rads

Transfer case

4406 manual shift from a 97 F150
modified stock trans cross member to accept 93 mustang 5L polyurethane tans mount
double cardan rear drive shaft

because of all the "fun" i had doing the bodywork, and some other things to my truck, i have nick named it "evil dora" or if you like, just plane "evil"!
and now the thank yous

my buddy gord leiss, who let this thing sit in his garage for 3 months while i did the body work to it. he also gave me a hand with some of the prep work, and painted it for me

kevin willson for doing the true fire http://affordableairbrushing.ca/

Joe Bukoski for letting me do the 5L/4406 swap in his garage

now people from this site, weather they knew it or not, they helped

BIG THANKS to tara a.k.a. explorersport77 for pictures of her truck. wouldn't been able to build the roll pan with out them!

ExplorerSport77's X "Hotness"

jon a.k.a. Turdle for selling me some real swanky rear shackles, as well as powder coating the diff cover and sending them up to canada. as well as much needed info on v8, and 4406 swaps as well as doing the grill and showing me how its done.

don aka dono for the help with the tuning, and wideband, as well as the supercharger

andy aka ahodges for some parts, and any help i needed for all the go faster goodies

5.0 swap - w/ 4406

jad2411 for finding me a link for my hidden antenna

ryan a.k.a. MustangP51 for doing his write up on making l.e.d.'s for interior lights, and how to make projectors

P51's HID Headlight (Projector) and Fog Conversion (PICS)

and N3ELZ cardomain page for L.E.D. switch and cruise pod mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-6
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-12
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-23

bob a.k.a. rwenzing for showing me speedhut's sit for the gauges

Gauges, Custom Gauges, Tachometers, Speedometers, Shift Light, Pod

Buzz4x4 for his write up on blacking out ford emblems

How to Make Your Own Custom Ford Emblems

the late aldive for his write up on one touch down passengers window mod

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141027&highlight=touch+passengers+window+mod

BIG COUNTRY, for his write up on how to install a auto dimming mirror

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84968

BIG COUNTRY, 98formulaLS1, and Ryon40 for there write ups on how to install a message center

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225017&highlight=BIG+COUNTRY
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80670&highlight=message+center
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245085&highlight=Ryon40

MountaineerGreen for his 4406 swap write up and "Custom" Driveshaft for a 4406 and 4" Superlift on the Cheap " (even tho its lowered

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166726&highlight=awd+4x4+swap
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185232

Simon, aka blueka for his "pickle" thread, and help anytime i picked the phone up the phone on the 5L swap

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271813

Jon, aka 4pointslow for any MAJOR technical advice i have needed

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219092

i wish i could find who did the write up on the overhead console install, but here is the link

http://www.explorer4x4.com/overhead.htm

Russ aka NICE59FORDF100 for his help on the wiring, and what to watch out for electronically.

hopefully one day, i will be able to help people on here just as much as the people that i have mentioned above!

picture.php

plus you know you have done something right when.....

your truck (as well as corkey) wins truck of the month

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=296023

is the feature truck on the fun hump day radio show (starts roughly around the 30 min mark)

http://explorerforum.podbean.com/2011/03/23/19-vroom-zoomboom/

and you drive 26 hours ONE WAY to the carlisle all ford nationals in june 2010 and 2011, and grab second place in the s.u.v. all category!

scan00012.jpg

then in 2014 you go back to the same show you have been to 5 years in a row (nothing by most, but its one hell of a long drive) and take first!

scan00014.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pcv

The hose from the air tube between the maf and throttle body that goes to the valve cover should be the fresh air intake side for the PCV system. There should be no PCV there. If it is there you could hollow it out.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

The hose from the air tube between the maf and throttle body that goes to the valve cover should be the fresh air intake side for the PCV system. There should be no PCV there. If it is there you could hollow it out.

noted

11225699_10152838449727513_1874145321_n.jpg

the main reason why i put it there was i had a hole in the valve cover, and intake tube that needed to be filled, so what better way to do it.

Just slightly off the no vacuum issue, but still on pcv and boost:

I'm working at different options for a pcv valve that seals completely under boost, and is the right size. The factory one for our trucks don't seal under boost.
Once I have it sorted out, I'll make sure I pick 2 up.

That is how I have mine set up.

PCV backseated

Just slightly off the no vacuum issue, but still on pcv and boost:

I'm working at different options for a pcv valve that seals completely under boost, and is the right size. The factory one for our trucks don't seal under boost.
Once I have it sorted out, I'll make sure I pick 2 up.

In the older days, the PCV was supposed to back seat if there was a backfire in the intake manifold, that would keep pressure from entering the crankcase.
I have not personally checked my pcv valve off the vehicle to see if it did back seat and close all the way.

Either way I have no problems with excessive crankcase pressure during boost. No gaskets blowing out or oil being ejected.
Then again the fresh air intake side of the PCV flows the opposite direction if crankcase pressure is excessive. Still I do not have excess amounts of oil being blown back into the air intake tube either.

Pcv

noted

the main reason why i put it there was i had a hole in the valve cover, and intake tube that needed to be filled, so what better way to do it.

Gut that sucker and the PCV system should work well.
Nice job on hiding that W/M jet too, I just noticed it after looking at the picture several times.

Gut that sucker and the PCV system should work well.

literaly just came in from doing that

Nice job on hiding that W/M jet too, I just noticed it after looking at the picture several times.

:D i know, its out in plane sight, but hidden. even the lines from the pump going to the tank you cant see even if you look for them.

Explorer

Any Updates?

nothing yet. i should get the sct back this week, other then buying a new touch screen head unit for it with a bluetooth in it today (now i can make calls or watch movies when i am drag racing or street racing. thats safe, right?).
i did possibly find why my boost gauge was acting funny however. when i put the oil pressure gauge in, i bought another a pillar pod for it, and cut one pod off so it looks like a 3 pillar gauge pod. well when i went to paint it, i sprayed the a pillar first to make sure i had the right color. well, doing that it screwed up the a pillar panel and had to throw it away and use one of my spares. when i cut the holes for the wiring, i didnt cut the opening long enough for the line going into the boost gauge, and it had a hard bend in it. that may have been just enough to collapse the nylon tube and give me incorrect readings. i will make it a little bigger and see what it reads after i get it running.

Touch Screen

Pictures of new touch screen please!

dont have any pics of it yet. its a kenwood ddx392. i wanted to put it in this weekend, or close to it but its real crappy outside right now. what i am also going to try and do is get rid of my rear wiper switch in the dash bezel as well before i put it in.

dont have any pics of it yet. its a kenwood ddx392. i wanted to put it in this weekend, or close to it but its real crappy outside right now. what i am also going to try and do is get rid of my rear wiper switch in the dash bezel as well before i put it in.

Another option for the display, do you ever need to watch tire pressures? There are a few versions of tire monitoring systems that use an existing display to show the pressures. I plan to get one when I get my Kenwood 7" screen into my Lincoln. I already got the backup camera, and the TPMS goes into that same aux input. The TPMS runs around $200 I think, the last I checked.

Yea, that tpms isnt such a great system with our cold winters. The batteries in the sensors tend to cause more trouble than anything.

Yes the aftermarket TPMS are not at all thoroughly reliable yet. I had one I put into my 99 for my work, and two of the five sensors rarely showed a reading. I hope they will work out that battery life and transmission distance soon. It's nice in factory installs, the rest are hit or miss so far.

Oh yea, a funny BTW. My 99 I recently got into my garage to R&R the SOHC trans. All four tire valve stem caps broke off at removal. Those TPMS sensors have metal bodies and the caps, over time(3+ years untouched) the caps corroded. One didn't break much of the threads off of, but three are showing the side of the cores. I will have to replace all four of them soon, though the tires are still good(probably flat spotted).

here you go [MENTION=81804]4pointslow[/MENTION]

11287128_10152850897437513_619527523_n.jpg

11253827_10152850897592513_2068724565_n.jpg

just put it in tonight. will mess around with it more tomorrow

Double Din

Looks great!
Once you have had double din, you can never go back.
Love the backround picture too. Awesome!

heres how today went. i wont be tuning locally now. the shop had my hand held for almost 2 weeks. when i called and asked about it, i think he slipped up and said he didnt get the file emailed to him yet. (?) i was under the impression he was writing the tune. so if thats the case, i will just stick with james.
with that said, i went home and loaded the tune back in. i also wanted to see about my big vacuum leak as well......here is what i found.

before

11118758_10152854785612513_29362828_n.jpg

11292795_10152854785642513_1928920875_n.jpg

after

11355416_10152854785527513_1977059901_n.jpg

11301424_10152854785547513_1580743416_n1.jpg

i want to kick myself in my own ass....if you cant see what i am talking about, if you look at the tube in the first picture, you will see that it is on a hard bend. the third picture is showing that i made the hole bigger (which is the way the old one was) therefore allowing more of a curve in it without a hard bend.
BUT, the last picture shows the second problem that i had to deal with (and that i didnt notice until i looked at it). my wideband decided to take a crap !!!:mad: after about 2 hours of chasing wires that i put in (and trust me, its far from a pretty wire job in there) i manged to find a loose connector just behind my freshly installed stereo. looks like i will be redoing all my setting on that, that took a hour to do. not to mention the booming bass my neighbor had to listen to.
after i found the loose connector and fixed it (sorta) i was doing to do a datalog, and fire it off to james when this happen.

11297757_10152855384987513_119433461_n.jpg

the damn hand held wont communicate with the truck. that or my laptop.
i cant win these days.....

X3

I think you posted the same picture for 1 and 3, the hole doesn't look any different. lol Either that or I just cant see the difference. lol.

Call SCT, they can probably help you get the X3 communicating with your laptop again.

2 weeks and they still didn't have a tune for you, got to just piss you off.

Tim, I'll call you later.
Its 1 of 3 things....

1. no power to the odb port.....fuse? Interior lights work? I think its the same fuse. Check pin 16 on the odb2 port.
2. SCT Unit went for **** (highly doubt it)
3. Laptop malfunction.

I can swing by home and pick up my laptop on the way over to your place after work if you don't have it sorted out.

Attachments

• OBDII port1070929671.jpg
    OBDII port1070929671.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 174

Back