Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer Registry' started by vroomzoomboom, January 19, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. gmanpaint

gmanpaint Torsion Bar Free Elite Explorer

City, State:
      STL MO
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Coil overs in the rear don't need anything but the pin bar eliminators. Simple bolt on part that converts the top mount style to tabs for eyelets.
      Leave the front stock with the 9000 or whatever you currently use. No frame mods.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. ahodges

ahodges Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Millbury, OH
      1996 XLT - 347 S/C
      Glad to hear its finally running right after everything! Track times now?

• Like Like x 1
    4. vroomzoomboom

vroomzoomboom Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS! Elite Explorer

City, State:
      selkirk, manitoba
      98 supercharged 347 sport
      that will happen at the end of September. that way if i do end up blowing it up, i have all winter to fix it lol

• Like Like x 1
    5. ahodges

ahodges Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Millbury, OH
      1996 XLT - 347 S/C
      Now that I gave you a chance to catch up :), I'm going to have to do something else!

• Like Like x 1
    6. 4pointslow

4pointslow Explorer Torture Tester Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      Track Times? Now I have something to look forward to!
      Don't blow the freeze plug out this time or make sure you have water instead of coolant.
      You don't want that track guy mad at you again.

7. Dono

Dono V8 Limited turbo and retired SC 4.0 OHV Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      Lol.
      Tims braver than I am. I'm tired of breaking stuff.

8. vroomzoomboom

City, State:
      selkirk, manitoba
      and you have told me what that is. if you ever do it, im not gonna catch up lol!

that problem is long gone...but now that i have said that....
      i made a sold stainless steel L shaped strap for it that is a total bitch to get into the hole, but i am now able to crank the block heater in there. if it hasnt blown out with the way i have been driving it for the last year or 2, i would have to say im good!

fine line between bravery and stupidity. im surprised that when i pulled the crank out everything went smooth. i have now put 20w 50 oil in it. lifters still tick, but not as bad. i think its a characteristic of those rockers.
      i am kinda itching to get to the track however. want to go when its cooler out however. i do think it will go in the 12's now. just dont know if i should run my smaller tires on it, or go with the 20's. smaller tires i will get out of the hole faster, but more then likely it will go into o/d before i cross the finish line, and shorting me 1000 rpms. if i use the 20's, well i have to run my wheel spacers. on the street is one thing, at the track thats another story. even though i have ask, and they said as long as they arent bigger then 1 1/2 they will allow them.
      once again i launched it in 4wd on the road tonight and its screeching them in 4wd. that means to me either i need new tires soon (no, theres lots of tread left) or its making some kind of power now.

• Like Like x 2
    9. 4pointslow

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      Don't let it shift into O/D at wot, it can destroy the transmission.
      I learned about it before anything bad happened to my truck and blocked O/D at WOT in the tune.
      If the weather is warmer you could experiment with both wheels and see how they do.
      Warmer weather means the track is stickier too, so less traction problems.

That's awesome how you were able to make a better bracket for the block heater, glad you got that problem solved.
      I think Dono solved his problem with loosing coolant through his head gaskets too so it is time for a rematch.

10. vroomzoomboom

City, State:
      selkirk, manitoba
      wait, what? as far as i knew you could only set the speed limiter, and we had mine jacked to as high as it would go (115 mph) or are you talking about the trans tune?
      as for dons truck, it turned out to be 2 small pin holes in the head. i got luck when i clearanced my heads for the headers, he didnt. as for a rematch, i pretty much dragged him to the track the last time, and it ended up costing him a lot of money in broken stuff. not doing that again unless he wants to come lol

11. 4pointslow

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      I forget exactly where it is in the tune, way too much going on in my head right now. lol.
      It was a speed limit that had to be reached before going into O/D, so maybe on yours it was that 115 mph setting.
      Not the same as a regular speed limiter that limits how fast the truck can go, just to clarify.

Did Dono have a blown head gasket that day at the track or was it the holes?

12. vroomzoomboom

City, State:
      selkirk, manitoba
      yea, i should have worded that better. it will force it into o/d at 115 mph weather you want it to go or not.
      head blew out a head gasket, and a rad. cant remember if there was anything else. that was a bad bad day.

13. Dono

Dono V8 Limited turbo and retired SC 4.0 OHV Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      Tim, ill review your tune on the od thing. its always worth double checking. I do make mistakes, lol

14. ahodges

ahodges Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Millbury, OH
      1996 XLT - 347 S/C
      I know I have issues with mine going into o/d even if I have the o/d off button pushed. At some speed (100mph+) that light turns itself off and it allows it to go into o/d. I haven't had mine go into o/d on the track yet, just street racing and I cringe when it happens (I can count on 1 hand how many times that has happened).

The only time I was able to get o/d locked out completely was when I was data logging with a 3rd gear pull.

Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.
    15. vroomzoomboom

City, State:
      selkirk, manitoba
      im trying to remember this. i would start off on a pass, would have the o/d lit on the dash (o/d set to off) i think the light would go off either haft way into second gear, or some point in third under wot.

16. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I didn't know that the OD was a problem, I thought tuning could handle it.

I may be able to fix that though, if it's not possible to get the programming to do it. I have two relays in my 95 Crown Vic, that I added to the trans wiring, to lock out both 4th and 3rd. That did what I wanted it too, stopping the signals(3rd/4th) from reaching the trans. I have a switch in an overhead console to control that. I haven't used that in years, but it worked. The 4R70W shift wires see four combinations of power, it's that simple. 1st gear is with no power to either wire, an obvious default first condition. 2nd is OFF/ON, 3rd is ON/OFF, and 4th is ON/ON. That wiring logic is in the ATSG manual somewhere.

For my mail car back then I didn't want it to constantly shift to 3rd, with me slowing down from say 25mph, 200+ times a day. The one downside is that it throws a code after doing it a few times. The CEL light did go out after not using that switched circuit for a few days.

I might be able do that for keeping 4th from happening also, if the other three gears are not altered. It'd be just the right combination of relays and one switch. Hopefully you guys can get the programming to lock out 4th somehow.