• Register Today It's free!

Superchargers/suped up Explorers

Bmxboy

Reaction score
City, State
Chicagoland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Corvette Z06
Im new here, and i don't knwo if this topic has been mentioned before, but my next car, hopefully will be the new 2002 explorer (probably get it in a year or so...mabey a 2003 explorer) with its new V-8 239 hp 280 tourque (i think thats right) engine.

I have been to Kenny Browns (online) and saw the whole supercharger/cams/headers/sprint gear, etc.

I am planning on doing this to my new explorer...money willing.

Has anyone suped up their explorers like this, or made them really fast?? If so, could ya tell me what you did, how fast, and if you got any pics? Thanks

Carl

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 96 4.0 OHV has a blower sitting on top of it. Use the search engine and search for "supercharger", username "alec", and in the modifications forum only. You'll come up with a bunch of threads centered around my power mods.

In short, I've got the BBK Instacharger kit along with full exhaust work and an upgraded fuel system. I'm making over 200hp/250tq at the wheels (about 270/320 at the crank) and run the 1/4 in 15.7 seconds @ 87 mph.

Poke around my various Photopoint albums: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1159657 to see pics. Most of the exterior pics are out of date, but I'll have new ones after the Moab trip, along with a totally new website. You can visit my website (url in my sig) for a list of my mods current as of last fall.

a good place to start checking on superchargers is at this guys site. he seems to know a little about them. he has a list of the main supercharger producers and go to their websites to see if they make one for your ride.

http://home.att.net/~jroal/

Hey Bmxboy, you want fast explorers, well you should talk to Troll and purpony. Their explorers hall some serious a$$. Check out trolls website: www.speedfreak.cc When you get to his web page click on The Troll

Alec

Was wondering how your tranny/drivetrain is holding up with the increases.

Wynjammer Superchargers

Have you heard of wynjammer superchargers. Fly-N-Hi is selling these for various applications. I am looking to supercharge my '98 4.0 SOHC V6 Explorer.

Dead Link Removed

Jason,
I've helped the drivetrain a bit so it can cope with the additional power. The tranny has a large aux. cooler and its fluid condition gets checked often. The rearend has an Eaton posi which helps me control the power and the new carrier stiffens the rearend. I'm going to regear when I get new tires soon and might move to synthetic diff fluid and will install a stud girdle diff cover to further help the rearend.

Hey Alec

I think your rearend is pretty stout even straight from the factory. The tranny might need a little more attention though.
Just a thought though.

I agree that the Ford 8.8 diff is pretty bombproof. I just figured that if I'm already changing gears, might as well get better fluid and the hi-po cover. The tranny loved the new cooler and is doing fine. Besides good regular maintenance, I can't think of much besides a rebuild or some valving/gasket upgrades. I guess I'll just get it fixed when it needs it.

update

Alec,
Hoe is the truck running?
Did you finally get the idle fixed?
I am still pondering the kit, I am researching the abilty to beef up the Mazda 5 speed before such a mod can be performed.

BTW, can the SC install be done to make it look OEM?

Thanks,

Kurt
97 Sport OHV

the new 4.6 with four speed auto should be a interesting setup. the 4.6 is not as good as the 5.0 but still pretty good i made all most 700 hp with a 4.6 but there is nothing like a pursh rod 5.0. the trans and rear end i am sure will be tuff enuff for what you will be dueing to it. when you get the truck drop me a line and we will see what we can hook you up with.

Back