Suspension too tight after add a leaf w/ sensatracs. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suspension too tight after add a leaf w/ sensatracs.

sport01mi

Reaction score
City, State
Woodhaven, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport
Hey, I'm seeking some advice on what I should do to smooth out the ride on my 01' sport since I've gotten add a leafs put on there to fix a driver side sag in the rear suspension. I didn't really have a problem with the ride that much before but now with the monroe sensatracs + the add a leafs on, the ride is almost unbearable. Every time I go into a pot hole the whole ex shimmys and pulls and is kinda scary on the expressway when I'm going above 55 or any other side road above 35 for that matter. I changed all 4 ball joints about 2 months ago and the springs and shocks don't have more than 15,000 miles on them. The only thing I can think of is to change shocks since the sensatracs are known for their tighter ride (didn't take this into account when I bought them) and put the explorer express sway bar on the back... any other ideas?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would suggest buying a softer riding shock... if money permitts an adjustable shock like the rancho 9000's would be nice. can't beat that. other wise get rid of the aal's and get shackles instead. i welcomed the firmer ride of the add-a-leafs since it helped with body sway and handling

its the add a leaf, those suckers ride stiff, thats how they work.
I hated mine and the day I got rid of them was the day I got my ride back.
You can use a shackle to get some lift in the back instead of the add a leaf.

Just my 02

Shocks only control/dampen the rebound of the spring, the spring is what supports the weight of the vehicle.

they will wear out however, depending on what brand you used, etc.

Would bigger tires help dampen the stiffness of the aal's at all? I'm running everything stock right now but if it would help the ride out a bit, I can splurge on new rims and tires as much as my torsion bar permits..

they will wear out however, depending on what brand you used, etc.

Which do you mean, the springs or the shocks?

Thanks.

Alright. For now I'm just going to buy the new shocks (Rancho RS9000X) and see if they make a difference in the ride tolerance. I found a set of 4, shipped online for $274.00. Is that a good price? That is before the whole buy 3 get one free rebate that rancho is promoting.

Thanks, again. :)

GOOD PRICE YES
sensa tracs are self adjusting shocks, they adjust as road conditions vary, you will still have the stiff ride after the 9000's

Tires only soften the ride if you let air out of them, this kills tread life and MPG :)

I mean the add a leafs will wear out and sag, how long it takes depends on their quality

Yeah, I understand that I'll still have the stiffness due to the aal's but wouldn't these shocks be an improvement on the sensatracs? Any improvement really, without having to take the aal out would help...

With the shackles, would you be able to install these with the aal's on and still be able to make a difference or would you have to take the aal's out?

Back