Dismiss Notice

to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews, discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

SVO42's 1-ton SAS

Discussion in 'Explorer/Ranger Solid Axle Swap Registry' started by SVO42, February 23, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. IZwack

IZwack Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Germantown, MD
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1998 Ford Explorer
      In the first post.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. SVO42

SVO42 Active Member

City, State:
      Hatton, MO
      1994 XL
      Update

Finally heard back from Complete Offroad yesterday. Supposedly the pinion yoke wasn't in stock when they shipped the other stuff but I should see it ASAP.

My current plan for locking the front is currently this: finish the build with it still open. Then if the budget allows put a lunch box locker in it. That way I can easily switch it back to an open diff if I need to be able to drive it on the street for the winter of '09/'10. By this time next year we plan on having a tow vehicle (4x4) and a trailer and will no longer have to worry about if the Ex is still street legal or not! The tags are good through the end of June 2010 right now. :thumbsup: Then I might do a 35 or 40 spline upgrade with a selectable locker or Detroit. We'll see how long a lunch box-locked 30 spline Dana 60 lasts! :roll::hammer:

It looks like we'll make some progress this weekend. I'll update Sunday night or Monday.

4. chad551

chad551 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      St.Louis, MO
      2002 Explorer Sport Trac
      Dang your only a hundred miles from me would like to see this build..

5. SVO42

SVO42 Active Member

City, State:
      Hatton, MO
      1994 XL
      I'll be posting pics as things progress. Once it's ready to go out I'll post up about it here. Like I said above, I'm shooting for Memorial Day weekend, then there's the SMORR run the next weekend (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235477), and then I might be taking it to Ouray, CO in July! It's going to be a tight schedule!

6. gmanpaint

gmanpaint Torsion Bar Free Elite Explorer

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      I will be looking forward to seeing your rig, you and the Mrs at Smorr!

7. SVO42

SVO42 Active Member

City, State:
      Hatton, MO
      1994 XL
      No real progress lately--waiting on some parts, phone calls, and general life stuff have all caused delays.

I did get the WMS-WMS measurement on the Sterling, though. It's about 66.5" and I confirmed the Pirate measurement of the Dana 60 at 69.25". The 60 needs new rotors and pads.

More updates as things go!

8. SVO42

SVO42 Active Member

City, State:
      Hatton, MO
      1994 XL
      No updates, but I figured I'd post it here.

Many thanks to Rick and all the other mods for the work on this site and for all of the helpful info from other members over the years. I finally ponied up and joined the status of other "Elite Explorers." :thumbsup:

9. crazyflights

crazyflights Well-Known Member

City, State:
      St. Joseph, MO
      97 1 ton Jeep
      I work in Columbia, let me know if you need a hand ever, if im not going straight home to wrench on my rigs i can help. I couple months back i bought 4dr explorer in columbia with leaf sprung front dana 30 swap, but have since sold it. I have the idea down in my head how they did it though. Also if you hear from Duffy with DD machine let me know, im trying to see if i can get 1354/1354 doubler kit still for my Bronco 2

10. DB_1

DB_1 Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Quinta, Ca.
      97 SC Ranger xlt
      They were using a 1350 for the reduction case.

11. crazyflights

City, State:
      St. Joseph, MO
      97 1 ton Jeep
      Yep 1350 is correct, either one will work, the 1350 is way more cost effective, would be a waste to cut up good 1354 manual case. I will be using 1350 for front section if he still will make them. Also SVO42, if you need a 1350 front section we have plenty of them.

12. crazyflights

City, State:
      St. Joseph, MO
      97 1 ton Jeep
      Updates?? Im ready to see that thing rolling on full width, gonna be awesome!

13. dkchrist

dkchrist Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Fayetteville, AR
      93 XLT 4DR
      subscribing....

14. Burns

Burns Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Pulaski, TN
      1991 Explorer/2002 F-250
      AHHHH what i would do for a D60

Drool

15. SVO42

SVO42 Active Member

City, State:
      Hatton, MO
      1994 XL
      Nothing new due to all the travelling we've been doing lately. I'm hoping to get some work done on the axles this Saturday. I think Neil cut the perches off the Sterling already. I'll try to remember to take my camera with me. Then we have a bonfire that night!

16. SVO42

SVO42 Active Member

City, State:
      Hatton, MO
      1994 XL
      Sorry--long time no post

Well, Neil and I FINALLY got some work done on this project today. We started with the Dana 60 and took the hubs, brakes, and spindles off and pulled the shafts out. Cleaned it up a little. Everything looked to be in good shape (not bad for 22 year-old parts!).

Here you can see it stripped on the ends and Neil making a custom tool to keep the pinion from rotating while we worked on pulling the carrier:

[​IMG]

Here's a shot of the inside:

[​IMG]

Now you see guts, now you don't!

[​IMG]

I did some grinding on old bearings to use as test fits for later and did some parts cleaning while Neil did some work on the carrier and pulling it apart. Here's the carrier with the new 5.38 ring gear installed:

[​IMG]

Had to call it a night about there. Neil fabbed a cart to roll the Sterling around on and we should be able to get to that this nex weekend, hopefully. A lot of my wrenching time lately has been on the other three vehicles in our possession, mainly the Waggy so I can drive it once the Explorer hits REAL downtime.

I also picked up a Dana 20 transfer case from an Early Bronco to start my doubler build, but I plan on starting a new thread for that. The current plan is to have it done by October! :cool:

17. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Are you going to trailer your rig now?

18. SVO42

SVO42 Active Member

City, State:
      Hatton, MO
      1994 XL
      I would like to keep it "streetable" ;) for a year or so. Right now we don't have a tow rig or trailer, but we hope to get an Excursion (Powerstroke 4x4, of course) late this fall and trailer not too far behind. Just depends on funds. BethAnn would also like to enter Peterson's Ultimate Adventure with it! :roll: I'm looking at tires in the 38-40" range and would like to have radials for the streetability factor. BFG KM2s would be my first choice, but it will most likely be whatever set of used tires and wheels I find after I sell my Mustang SVO. The most likely candidate would be some Super Swamper Irok radials. I want 17" wheels, too, so that hurts my selection in the used market. :(

The front axle I am leaving as an open diff for now, and the rear will have a Detroit Locker. Locked in the rear, open in front--same as I have now, so I'm used to driving that. My tags area also good through June of 2010. I might as well try to see if it will pass a Missouri inspection by then, right? :D

19. crazyflights

City, State:
      St. Joseph, MO
      97 1 ton Jeep
      Looks good. keep up the progress I know it gets dificult.

20. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      If your long term plans are to have it on a trailer, why not lock the front now? Cheaper to do it now than later.

21. SVO42

SVO42 Active Member

City, State:
      Hatton, MO
      1994 XL
      I want a selectable locker when I do lock the front. The $900 or so for one I can use much better in other places right now. I'd like to learn how to drive the thing again BEFORE I start breaking stuff! :D:roll: Many of the trail breakages I've witnessed have involved stressing front end components while locked, then...POP! What I will likely do is drive it open with the stock shafts (the Dana 60 I got has stock 35-spline inners and 30-spline outers) for a while. When I get a locker for it I'll also upgrade to 35-spline outers as well. I'd rather do any wrenching at home instead of on the trails.

22. james t

james t moderation Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Texarkana AR/TX
      94 SAS sport
      Ive had both, and IMHO dont get the Irok radials... get the bias. They are just as quiet on the street as the radials you really cant even tell the difference on the highway. The bias wear a little faster but not by much.

23. RFR2212

RFR2212 Typing Police Elite Explorer

City, State:
      In the mug by Chitown
      95 JEEP Wrangler
      I'm running KM2s on the Jeep, ran them in Moab and loved em! I've previously run Irok bias in the midwest mud and they were great tires too! If width was not an issue for me now, I'd be running Pitbulls.. I've seen them in action and was very impressed. Typically they run wide and seen my jeep is on the street now, I chose the KM2s

24. SVO42

SVO42 Active Member

City, State:
      Hatton, MO
      1994 XL
      Neil and I got some more work done today. BethAnn had the camera on a ladies-only float trip this weekend, so no pics this time.

Neil finished getting the Dana 60 carrier and R&P set up (after taking it out and putting it back in many times to get the right shimming). Now all we have to do is clean out the tubes, put the shafts back in, and get the new brake rotors and calipers on. Anything else on the 60 is getting the old perches cut off and new ones put on.

While he was working on the D60 I tore into the Sterling. Took the drums off and found that the driver's side had a leaky hub seal that had had a "farm truck fix" with silicone that really didn't fix it. Now I have a proper spindle nut socket and a new seal for that side. The passenger side all looked good. We pulled the shafts out and they looked good (and BEEFY!). Then the carrier came out and I cleaned up the inside. The Sterling's hollow now. I have to say that the Sterling looks like it will be PLENTY strong. It's parts make the 8.8" look like it was made out of Tinker Toys.

We might be able to get a bit more done during the week but next weekend Neil will be out of town. If I make it by his place this week I'll try to remember the camera. I plan on using next weekend to separate the Dana 20 transfer case and 3-speed and get a look at the D20 to see what it needs. I'll probably start my doubler thread then. I was hoping to have done that already but I had to get the Waggy back in shape, and it pretty much is now.

Stay tuned!

25. crazyflights

City, State:
      St. Joseph, MO
      97 1 ton Jeep
      Cant wait to see more progress, this thing is gonna be awesome! Do you know if you will be ready for fall crawl?

26. SVO42

SVO42 Active Member

City, State:
      Hatton, MO
      1994 XL
      Fall Crawl is the goal! FC info thread: http://www.gilmoremotors.com/discus/viewtopic.php?t=5393

We might be doing some long nights, but I really want to make THIS goal (since Memorial Day didn't work out).

Unfortunately, I have a schedule conflict with FC09 so I may not be there until Saturday afternoon--I'm best man in a wedding at 1 PM that day. After the ceremony I'll hit the road from Springfield to Flat Nasty (I'll probably drive BethAnn's Firebird to Springfield and then to FN...why am I thinking about Smokey and the Bandit all of a sudden?). My tentative plan right now is having BethAnn either drive the Explorer there Friday or see if I can get on someone's trailer. Neil might be able to do it. They just have to promise not to destroy it before I have the chance to first! :roll: