Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

SVO42's 1-ton SAS

Discussion in 'Solid Axle Swap Registry' started by SVO42, February 23, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. SVO42

SVO42 Active Member

City, State:
      Hatton, MO
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1994 XL
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. SVO42

SVO42 Active Member

City, State:
      Hatton, MO
      1994 XL
      Finally updating again! Neil has been doing some work on the axles and got the original perches cut off. We worked on the Sterling today. Last time I was there we discovered that one of the rear hubs had what appeared to be a leaking seal that had been hillbilly fixed with silicone. After A LOT of cleaning, we found that there were further problems with the driver's side hub. It has apparently been cut down and ground into to try to make some sort of lip on it! :fire:

Here they are side-by-side:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So it looks like I need a replacement hub. They should be the same--they had the same Ford part number cast into them.

Neil worked on getting some measurements on the rear housing to get ready to drop the Detroit Locker in. The ring gear wasn't wanting to go on though due to a TIGHT it. We put the Detroit in the freezer for a while, and when I left he was going to try to use the bolts to help pull it on the rest of the way:

[​IMG]

And some gratuitous shots of the axles as they are now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see some parts from the nasty rear brake in front of the Dana 60. We also discussed some steering options and a really leaning towards high steer. As for the doubler, we could make the 1354 range box look purdy and not use silicone to seal the plate after cutting it--Neil just picked up a TIG welder. :cool:

We might get some more done next weeked--stay tuned!

4. crazyflights

crazyflights Elite Explorer

City, State:
      St. Joseph, MO
      97 1 ton Jeep
      Keep up the good work,

-High Steer sounds good
      also with bigger than 35s u really will want to look into Hydro assist

On my explorer with 37s the Gen 1 box, just couldnt do it very well in most situations other than street driving.

5. 94 Crawler

94 Crawler Active Member

City, State:
      Stantonsburg,NC
      '94 Ranger SuperCab
      That hub looks like something from the breaks rubbed on it at some point as it is ground smooth and sort of rounded maby a misplaced brake cable or a ebrake link that fell out. If the seal fits tight I would probably use it but to each his own right you have to be happy with it. Also those ring gears are typicaly tight going on its almost a press fit to keep the ring gear centered. Something I do now is use a large composet dead blow hammer to seat the ring gear less chance of damaging threads that way. As I said to each his own. But looking good:biggthump

6. SVO42

SVO42 Active Member

City, State:
      Hatton, MO
      1994 XL
      Not a whole lot to update other than the diffs are all set up now. The Sterling has all the brackets cut off and the leftovers ground off and smoothed in preparation for new mounting points. Cleaning up the Dana 60 and getting all of its brake parts on is next. Some parts acquisition has been delayed due to another vital part of the build...GETTING OUR TOW VEHICLE! :bounce: Which, when you think about it, is also part of this build.

Details here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270829

7. crazyflights

City, State:
      St. Joseph, MO
      97 1 ton Jeep
      Is your rig still driveable? If so are you gonna bring it out in March?? Might as well, before tearing into it all the way.

8. SVO42

SVO42 Active Member

City, State:
      Hatton, MO
      1994 XL
      We'll see! It might be under the knife by then, finally. I need to get the new axles under it so I can sell the existing ones (I already have a buyer). Then I'll use those funds to get the set of high-steer arms and hardware I need. All I have to do now is get some roller wheels & tires so it can sit on its own weight.

9. Mean Gene

Mean Gene New Member

City, State:
      Ionia, Missouri
      97 Ford Ranger x cab SAS
      Looks good Brian. You still need a Sterling hub? I have one I'll give ya. Would be a good excuse to take a peak at the beast n catch up. Maybe give you a hand if ya would like. Havn't seen ya since SMORR, which your going to be there again, right? :p:

10. SVO42

SVO42 Active Member

City, State:
      Hatton, MO
      1994 XL
      Yup, still need a hub for the Sterling. I'm looking forward to going to SMORR again but we'll see when that will actually be! This weekend will probably be the one that the Explorer goes to Neil's shop and stays there. :eek: Time to start making progress!

11. Goldilocks

Goldilocks New Member

City, State:
      Auxvasse MO
      Let's get this done!! We have a TOW RIG, finally. Fun times!! I am really excited. This has been a long time coming. I remember going to pick up this Explorer, about 300 miles to Nebraska in 2005. All manual, rubber floors baby! I remember seeing it and saying..."Really? That's what you want to buy?" But I came to love it in short order and it has been a lot of fun ever since. 3800 mile round trip in 2007 (north through South Dakota, to Montana, through Idaho to Moab, then to Ouray and back home through Kansas!!), several trips to Ouray, several wheeling trips, all driven there and back with no complaints from the little Ex. But the time has come for a true off-road only conversion and the reliability (we hope!) of a tow rig to get us home.

12. SVO42

SVO42 Active Member

City, State:
      Hatton, MO
      1994 XL
      Monthly update, LOL!

Sorry about the long delay again, folks! Been busy with work, other home projects, other vehicles, and crappy weather problems. There is progress again, though! Neil snapped some more pics of the axle progress over a week ago--here's some before & after pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Closeup of the tube-to-pumpkin weld on the Sterling (I've heard of the tubes getting spun under high torque loads). Very nice weld, IMO. I hope I can do that someday!
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They have been cleaned up and Neil even media-blasted them to get them purdy before primer and paint. Went with the usual semi-gloss black but I will admit I was tempted to get orange when I was checking out the paint section at the store!

More to come later this week! The Explorer is inside the shop now. If all goes well we might have the old axles out and at least the rear in! :cool:

13. SVO42

SVO42 Active Member

City, State:
      Hatton, MO
      1994 XL
      The major surgery has started! By the time I made it over to Neil's again he had the 8.8" out:

[​IMG]

Then we got to work on getting the rear bumper and trailer hitch off. I had removed the bumper a couple of years ago to get the body lift on but it decided it didn't want to come off again--the captured bolts rounded off. Neil broke out his plasma cutter and torch and the bumper came off! :shoot:

Then we used a big breaker bar and impact gun to get the trailer hitch off. Neither will be going back on. Having them out of the way will allow more working room. I also plan on a new custom rear bumper anyway.

Before:
      [​IMG]

After:
      [​IMG]

This is how the Ex sits now:
      [​IMG]

Hopefully the Sterling will be under it in a week or so--then it on to getting the D35 TTB out! :bounce:

14. SVO42

SVO42 Active Member

City, State:
      Hatton, MO
      1994 XL
      More progress pics I took Sunday. Neil measured everything and we got it juuuust right (centered side-to-side, pinion angle, etc.) and he tack-welded the perches on. The perches, U-bolts, and U-bolt plates are some nice beefy pieces from Ballistic Fab.

Rear shots:

Sterling's under there!

[​IMG]

Now it's hung: :bsnicker:

[​IMG]

Hardware:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note how the truck is supported--jackstands under the axle, so this is close to how it will sit under it's own weight. It'll go down a little once the front is also up.

Two shots from the driver's side--this was with a borrowed 35" wheel/tire (IIRC) put just up next to the axle for fun. The axle wasn't quite high enough to let the wheel center go over it. Note also how the rear fenders are trimmed now. Not sure if/where any more trimming will need to be done but these cuts go with the body lines.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Houston, there is a problem: the driver's side U-bolt plate is VERY close to the gas tank skid plate (and, therefore, the tank). I am planning on getting the coffin tank out and replacing it with one from an '89-'90 Bronco II tank. Neil already cut out the spare tire bracket/mechanism for it. Based on everything I've looked at, the '89-'90 BII tank will be a good swap--fits there, holds 23 (vs. 19) gallons, and the stock BII pump/sending unit assembly should provide enough fuel AND work with the stock gauge! :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More misc. shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We're planning on starting on the front this weekend!

:D

Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.
    15. SVO42

SVO42 Active Member

City, State:
      Hatton, MO
      1994 XL
      Neil had some extra time today and did the mod that's the point of no return (which I'm kinda sad I missed, but I'm glad it's done). He sent me a couple of pics but I can't get them off of my phone. I went by after work and got these pics, though.

The Dana 35 TTB is out!!!

Swing arm brackets are cut off--no going back now!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:chug:

We are going to use the FSJ 4" lift leaf springs I got a year ago spring over with the shackles in the rear. The springs will have to be outboarded due to the width differences between the frame and the Dana 60 front. We're still working on the details for the shackle mounts, but the front will be pretty straightforward--a new front "crossmember" near the very front of the frame with the spring mounts hung from that.

This next pic shows the area best out of the shots I took today to give you an idea. The shackle mounts will most likely be right in front of the body mount you can see.

[​IMG]

:thumbsup:

16. SVO42

SVO42 Active Member

City, State:
      Hatton, MO
      1994 XL
      More updates: Neil drew up some things in CAD and here's the first result:

New front crossmember with leaf spring hangers (this will be right behind the front bumper). Drawn up in CAD and water jet cut:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's Neil's prototype CAD drawing of the shackle mounts. Keep in mind that with my swap I am leaving the front axle full width. The '87+ Ford Dana 60s have the diff offset more to the side than earlier models which is why we're outboarding the springs. It might seem like an added hassle, but that pumpkin offset--to me--has worked to be fine since there likely won't be any interference with the pumpkin hitting the engine crossmember.

Top View

[​IMG]

Rear Quarter View - a poly bushing goes into the hole in the bottom and standard shackles will locate the rear of the spring.

[​IMG]

For anyone interested, Neil is contemplating making runs of these custom parts if anyone is interested...:hammer: Once we're done with the SAS on my rig we'll test everything out to make sure it's all good. Then those interested might have an easier time with a SAS using Ford '87 and up 1-ton axle sets. :cool:

17. yostyexplorer94

yostyexplorer94 1st Gen Mod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Newburg, PA
      1994 Explorer
      Callsign:
      yosty
      very nice! I am loving this build :thumbsup:

18. SVO42

SVO42 Active Member

City, State:
      Hatton, MO
      1994 XL
      More updates: Neil has the crossmember almost finished.

Sunday I made a little drive to pick up a replacement hub for the Sterling. Mean Gene here was kind enough to give me one! The Lightning motor in his Explorer was looking pretty sweet.

I dropped the hub off at Neil's and while there got some more pics. Here's some more shots of the crossmember. Pictures don't do this thing justice!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also picked up some Ford F-250 shock towers recently:

[​IMG]

Neil had one of the front leaves on the cart up ext to the Explorer for some measurements and you can start to see the eventual result. In Neil's words, "Those springs look like they were made to go there!"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I had a present waiting for me when I got home tonight. They're high-steer arms from WFO Concepts. I got the set with the double-ended passenger side arm to have all options available when it comes to adding hydraulic-assist steering later:

[​IMG]

Now we can get the back end down on some tires and get the steering figured out!

19. SVO42

SVO42 Active Member

City, State:
      Hatton, MO
      1994 XL
      'Bout time for some updates! I've been super busy w/ OT at work and building a fence. Anyway, the front axle is almost in! Here's some updates from Neil first:

He sure can! Next:

Then I scored an AWESOME deal on some real tires! The Pro-Comp X-Terrains weren't on my "short list" but the deal was way too good to be true. They're 40x13.50R16s! This was the kind of deal only my dad or broncoIIguy seem to come across! I got 5 of 'em for less than a Grover Cleveland! (Benjamins eat ya heart out!)

[​IMG]

Here's the "police lineup" shot. On the same trip to St. Louis to get these, I also got 2 replacement spare wheels/tires for our Excursion since we had a chunk of tread fly off after hitting a gator. I had 7 tires in the back of the beast!

First is the Excursion wheel & tire, a 265/75/R16, then one of my Explorer's old 33x12.50R15s, and then one of the new 40" Pro Comps:

[​IMG]

The booty load!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some shots of how the D60 sits now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally some shots of Neil with his new toy he WON, a tube notcher--carnage included! He's working on the front leaf spring shackle mounts (the triangulated tube setup in a post above):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come soon!

20. rhauf

rhauf Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Ca
      '93 and '91 explorer
      Dude.. that's bad to the freakin' bone. Nice work, too.

21. crazyflights

City, State:
      St. Joseph, MO
      97 1 ton Jeep
      Will it be ready for your Ouray trip? If not you should bring it to Smorr :) would love to see it in action.

22. yostyexplorer94

Media:
      City, State:
      Newburg, PA
      1994 Explorer
      Callsign:
      yosty
      I love how you use your suvs as trucks. I did the same thing before I got my f150! The fab work is top notch and I wish I could make shit as pretty as that!! :thumbsup:

23. SVO42

SVO42 Active Member

City, State:
      Hatton, MO
      1994 XL
      I'm tired of using our SUVs as trucks! We've decided to sell Goldilocks' Firebird and get a truck. :thumbsup:

Brad, if Neil and I don't get the Explorer done before Ouray you might not see me alive again. :dead: The ultimate trip would be to go to the Ford Invasion at SMORR for part of the weekend and then drive from there to Ouray, but I only give that about 5% probability of happening.

Our NEW deadline is the 4th of July weekend for a test run at Potawotamie in Fulton. I'll post more info once it's closer ot then. I'd like at least a few people to come out with me for that. :burnout: Need to allow some time for tweaks before leaving for Ouray on the 17th!

24. rhauf

rhauf Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Ca
      '93 and '91 explorer
      You mean use them as trucks in the sense of hauling stuff (like his 1 tons) in the back, or are you saying 4 wheelin' is for trucks, and that its silly that we're wheelin' our suv's "as if it were at truck"??

25. SVO42

SVO42 Active Member

City, State:
      Hatton, MO
      1994 XL
      I'm pretty sure this is what he meant. Let's not start hatin'. [​IMG]

:D

26. yostyexplorer94

Media:
      City, State:
      Newburg, PA
      1994 Explorer
      Callsign:
      yosty
      I used my ford explorer to haul stuff that would have been nicer to use a truck to haul. I got an f150 for hauling and daily driving. My explorer is mainly my off road vehicle.

SVO42 hauled 1 tons in his explorer at the beginning of this thread. He secondly posted a picture with the excursion that had a cargo area full of big tires. I posted a reply because I found it funny that he uses his suvs the same way I have used mine. He's got me beat on hauling the most weight with the 1 tons. lol Hope this clears up the fog.