Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Swapping Base Model Steel Wheels for OEM 18" wheels?

Discussion in 'Tires & Wheels' started by ST Hobbes, January 30, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. ST Hobbes

ST Hobbes New Member

City, State:
      Huntsville
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2014 Base
      Can I take the tires off my base model steel wheels/hub caps and put the tires on a set of OEM 18" aluminum rims I purchased, or do I need new tires?
      While I'm at it, do I need new lug nuts to make the swap, and do they cost $9 each?
      And do tire pressure sensors cost like $90 apiece? What I'm seeing on auto parts sites tells me 'no.'
      What's the best place to get this done - dealer, tire store, chain mechanical store, mom and pop garage?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. d0n4331

d0n4331 New Member

City, State:
      Calgary, AB
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2002 Ford Explorer Sport
      I'm going to make assumption that your base '14 Explorer has the 18" wheels (if it has the 17" wheels, its a non-starter).

If your tires aren't worn out, they can be moved. Personally, I would go to a tire store 1st, mom & pop 2nd. Dealer is probably pricey; I've had bad luck with chain mechanical stores (but that could just be me).

TPS can be moved from wheel to wheel, you'll just pay a couple bucks; no need to buy new ones.

You probably want new lug nuts as they will be visible and your current ones are probably pretty plain as they were under the hub caps. Might want a set of locking lug nuts too - send midnight auto supply to the easier car down the street.

Good luck.