Swapping in Tilt Column and Cruise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swapping in Tilt Column and Cruise

AppleTech

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport Trac
I just got a 2004 to hold me over for a year or two while I save up for a newer truck. A friend sold it to me at a great price and it should work for my needs. I was going to run to the junkyard to pick up a few items for it and had some thoughts. Currently the truck has a non-tilt column and no CC. The tilt is a bit of an issue because I can't see the top of the gauges because of my height. I understand for CC, I need the control box/cable, control computer in the engine bay, and the clockspring and wheel buttons.

I was thinking to simplify things of just getting a whole tilt/cruise column from a similar year truck at the yard. I'm not sure how difficult it is to get the columns out of these but I found it very easy on my F-150 many years ago. My only questions are whether grabbing the whole column will cause issues with the immobilizer or can that system be moved from column to column? Any other gotchas I might be missing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just got a 2004 to hold me over for a year or two while I save up for a newer truck. A friend sold it to me at a great price and it should work for my needs. I was going to run to the junkyard to pick up a few items for it and had some thoughts. Currently the truck has a non-tilt column and no CC. The tilt is a bit of an issue because I can't see the top of the gauges because of my height. I understand for CC, I need the control box/cable, control computer in the engine bay, and the clockspring and wheel buttons.

I was thinking to simplify things of just getting a whole tilt/cruise column from a similar year truck at the yard. I'm not sure how difficult it is to get the columns out of these but I found it very easy on my F-150 many years ago. My only questions are whether grabbing the whole column will cause issues with the immobilizer or can that system be moved from column to column? Any other gotchas I might be missing?

I believe @429CJ-3X2 recently did this swap. You might want to PM him on what you'll need.

Here's the thread where another member and I added cruise to our trucks that didn't come with it. Double check part #s because I think I screwed up some of those. I just drove 440 miles round trip to the Kansas City area yesterday for the second time in 3 weeks, and really appreciated the cruise control!
2005 XLS w/o Cruise Control?

You'll need the control box and cable assembly from a Job 2 V6. That's a Ranger part that's used on Explorers, Sport Tracs and Rangers, so that will be easy to find. Also the clockspring, cruise buttons, and the brake switch from on top of the master cylinder. The clockspring is specific to the STs and '01-03 Explorer Sports, although I think some Rangers (starting in '06?) used the same clockspring, which suggests possibly the same airbag and steering wheel. But you could also use your current steering wheel and airbag on the tilt column. I'd actually recommend that because the leather wrapped wheels on the tilt columns wear out and the covers loosen. The non-leather wrapped wheels hold up better.

I can't answer your questions about the tilt column, but I do have a spare one from a 2002 Sport Trac with 1 key. I took the clockspring and steering wheel from it, but I'd sell the column itself. I didn't take it out of the truck, so I can't tell you how difficult it is to get out. The PATS module near the ignition cylinder is attached by 1 screw I think. If you swapped the one from your truck to the "new" column all your electronics would be the same as you have now, and you'd still use your current key. Obviously you'll need to swap your ignition cylinder to the tilt column too. I can send pics of the column that might give you an idea of how it comes out.

Thanks! That info is very helpful. The yard near me has like 8 STs on it right now and a load of Explorers so hopefully I should be able to get the parts for cheap. I just got the Ford DVD Manual so I'll look through that on removing the column.

Also, my MC has a switch on the front of it (on the top of the end) that is hooked up. Does that mean I already have a CC MC?

I don't think it's the same switch. The master cylinder is the same. You just need the switch. When you go to the salvage yard look for a switch that's been spliced in. Might have a noticeable tag attached. There was a safety recall on the cc mc switch and the replacements were spliced in. I was blessed to find one that looked new.

Back