Switch 2nd row captain chairs for bench | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Switch 2nd row captain chairs for bench

daveshea

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I realize this is the reverse of what many people might want, but I am somewhat disappointed with the 2nd row "captain chairs" in my 2004 Eddie Bauer with 3rd row. This captain chair setup gives second row passengers seats similar to the front row, with a large center console with drink holders, etc.

Unfortunately, while the second row seats fold forward, this center console is fixed in place and sacrifices some of the utility of the vehicle.

I have found a seller of the more traditional second row folding bench-style seat.

If I purchase that seat, should I just be able to remove the second row captain chairs and that center console thing, and replace with the second row bench which should then be able to fold forward?

Please let me know if this sounds sensible, or would I need other parts?

-David

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes it will work. i did the opposite of what you want. i took out the bench and put in the 2 seats w/ center console and everything lined up just fine

What color and stlye interior? i'll trade you if it's black leather

What color and stlye interior? i'll trade you if it's black leather

Exactly the first thing that I thought lol

rear captain chairs

Where did you buy the captain chairs for your explorer?

This is a pretty old thread, but I did this swap. I was lucky enough to find someone who was looking for a straight trade- buckets and console for a bench. Your best bet would probably be a junkyard. If you find a set, make sure that you get all the hardware, especially the black metal bracket on the floor. The bracket holds the console in place.

I realize this is the reverse of what many people might want, but I am somewhat disappointed with the 2nd row "captain chairs" in my 2004 Eddie Bauer with 3rd row. This captain chair setup gives second row passengers seats similar to the front row, with a large center console with drink holders, etc.

Unfortunately, while the second row seats fold forward, this center console is fixed in place and sacrifices some of the utility of the vehicle.

I have found a seller of the more traditional second row folding bench-style seat.

If I purchase that seat, should I just be able to remove the second row captain chairs and that center console thing, and replace with the second row bench which should then be able to fold forward?

Please let me know if this sounds sensible, or would I need other parts?

-David
I know this is an old thread, but are you still looking to get a 2nd row bench? I really want to get the captain's chairs in my 04 EB.. (I got lucky and found the center console but not the seats)

mateusz1122, I know this is an old thread, but we have 2 bench seats and a console we are wanting to trade! Where are you located?

mateusz1122, I know this is an old thread, but we have 2 bench seats and a console we are wanting to trade! Where are you located?
Oh I'm sorry! I sold them to someone a few months ago

No worries! Thank you for getting back to me!

Back