for access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Symptoms of a Clogged Catalytic Converter?

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by ParkerRocker, March 27, 2008.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. ParkerRocker

ParkerRocker Active Member

City, State:
      Hayden, ID
      Year and Model:
      92 Explorer Sport
      My truck is running quite well, but has a problem, whenever I accelerate too hard (usually on even a slight incline) my engine misfires a little. I only really notice this in third gear. But it has happened in fourth as well.
      After getting the RPMs up over 3000 i usually smell a sort of sulfur smell. This leads me to suspect my catalytic converter. However would that cause my car to jerk like it does? it feels like a misfire but i could be wrong. I'm going to replace the fuel filter soon enough, but how much HP would a clogged cat rob? and do i need to get a new one or can i just bore it out and slap it back on? I live in ID so im not particularly worried about emissions testing...

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Kyle0614

Kyle0614 Active Member

City, State:
      Greenville, NC
      Year and Model:
      '95 XLT
      yes my old jeep cherokee did that but it was cause my muffler was f'd up and causing all the exhaust to have back pressure...so i suppose a cat will do the same

4. boggs1227

boggs1227 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Flowery Branch , Georgia, 1994 sport 2wd auto
      Year and Model:
      2005 colorado 2wd 5spd
      the miss fire could be something wrong with the engine it's self ,have you pulled any codes or has the cel light came on ?? you may want to look at that prospect before cutting off your cat ...could be something easlilly fixed or adjusted etc....

or...

i also live in a area thats non emission regulated...personally i cut it off if it were clogged but ..... i am sure many will tell you that may affect engine performance to some degree.like cutting it off may take away from the bottom end or something to that effect ,you could cut it off then weld a proper length straight piece of exhaust pipe in it's place ...may cure the affects of engine performance.i dont wont to get into a discussion about muffler performance here but some may say "yeah cut it off " some may say "yeah just weld on a new muffler after you do with out replaceing it with a replacement pipe" etc ...... you know :rolleyes:

i'm looking at my LMC catalog right now and they want $289.95 for a new one .....so if you dont want to fork out that type of money then cutting it off and putting in a replacement pipe may be a option for you .

5. MrShorty

MrShorty Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Spanish Fork, UT
      Year and Model:
      92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
      Sulfur smell is usually related to the cat. Before just replacing the cat, I'd check to see if the engine is running rich. A rich condition contributes to clogging the cat and the sulfur smell and such.

6. ParkerRocker

City, State:
      Hayden, ID
      Year and Model:
      92 Explorer Sport
      I'm sorry i don't understand what you mean by rich, could you please elaborate?

7. Willard

Willard Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Bloomington, Indiana
      Year and Model:
      04 Ranger Edge
      Rich = too much fuel, not enough spark

Lean = not enough fuel

8. ParkerRocker

City, State:
      Hayden, ID
      Year and Model:
      92 Explorer Sport
      what would cause it to run rich or lean? and how do i test for this?

9. boggs1227

boggs1227 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Flowery Branch , Georgia, 1994 sport 2wd auto
      Year and Model:
      2005 colorado 2wd 5spd
      if i were to take a stab at that question most likelly be from bad o/2 sensor....dirty maf / throttle body ...worn or clogged pcv vavle.on my x when i bought it the whole upper intake had a layer of sludge little more than 1/8 thick all on both the inside and throttle body themselves.after soaking the upper intake in gas i managed to get every bit of crap out of it ..looked like new .no wonder it suffered a aneurysm (lol) but it ran rich and i to smelled sulfur smells ...so maybe the reason why yours is running rich is that the engine air management systems need a good cleaning .

my 2005 colorado requires the upper intake system cleaned every 30k and now i'm about 20k over due but when it acts up the truck will idle fine when cold but move a little down the road and put the clutch in to stop and the rpm's die down almost killing the motor (rough low idle condition) .

10. ambrosiaB

ambrosiaB Member

City, State:
      fort worth, tx
      Year and Model:
      2000 Ford Explorer
      Mine is doing similar. Would a bad o2 sensor throw a code? Need to replace pcv and fuel filter first thanks