1. It's time for our yearly 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale! Last day is November 30!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a full two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership!

If you would like to extend an existing membership for two more years please contact "Rick" through a conversation/private message as I will have to set up existing memberships manually. Thank you and happy holidays!!!
    Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

SYNC 3 latest version

Discussion in '2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology' started by Vinayak, September 21, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Rainlord

Rainlord Member

City, State:
      Zurich, Switzerland
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      Explorer 2012 XLT
      Anyone outside the US (Europe ideally) know if the 2.3 update updates the Europe maps as well? I don't dare do anything until then (2017 screen in my 2012, running 2.2)

2. Support EF

Holiday Special through Nov 30! Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Although I'm not sure, I believe actual map updates are a separate item from the Sync 3 software updates.

Peter

4. Dfred

Dfred Active Member

City, State:
      Lexington, Ky
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Peter your right.... US updates are here
      Ford/Mercury | Home | HERE
      But nothing for the 2017 Explorer...... Ford needs to do something, my garmin is updated 4 times a year.... my phone constantly......

5. Simon Stillwater

Simon Stillwater Member

City, State:
      Connecticut
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      I have the nav version. Just to confirm I used a 32GB stick formatted to exFAT and still couldn't get it to work. I had not such issues in the past doing updates to Sync 3.

6. Dfred

Dfred Active Member

City, State:
      Lexington, Ky
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      I could not get a stick to work either..... but WiFi worked during the night..... next morning it was there........

7. Chris-74

Chris-74 New Member

City, State:
      Vancouver
      2017 Explorer XLT
      For anyone who’s having trouble with the usb method and is using a Mac, I noticed something when I did mine: Macs will automatically unzip the downloaded file, including the folder within that’s supposed to stay there. If you plug the usb into your Explorer without the expected file organization, it won’t be able to perform the update. Solve that problem by doing the following:
      Step 1:
      In the menu bar, go Safari -> Preferences. In the "General" tab, uncheck "Open 'safe' files after downloading". This will stop Safari from automatically unzipping the file as soon as it downloads.
      Step 2:
      Instead of using the built-in unzipping tool, download an app from the App Store called Stuffit Expander. The built in Mac OS utility will remove the folder that’s supposed to stay there, but the Stuffit app will maintain the correct file and folder organization. Once installed, the Stuffit utility is accessible when you right-click the zipped folder, then you can choose where to create the folder containing the unzipped files.

You may need to re-download the zipped file again after you complete step 1.

8. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      I attempted to load V2.3 into the Ex last night but it didn't work. I had a 32GB USB drive but it was FAT32. I attempted to format a previous 32GB to exFAT but after the status bar showed the format complete a window popped up saying Windows could not complete the process and Internet Explorer could no longer access the drive. That is why I hoped the one formatted FAT32 would work. When I plugged it into the vehicle the drive began flashing and the screen showed "software updating". This went on for about 8 minutes and then the screen showed "restarting" and went blank and then came up with the Ford logo and then a screen that said "Sirius 2" along the top, That was replaced with the "software updating" message again but there was no flashing to be seen on the USB drive. I drove for about 10 minutes with that and then selected the Navigation button and that came up and filled the screen except for the updating message. When I reached my destination I shut the ignition off. About 2 hours later I started the Ex up for the return trip and was faced with the same software updating message although the USB drive showed no activity. When I got home I decided to try formatting that USB to exFat. The end result is that I'm still on V2.0 and now have two 32GB USB drives that I can't access. On top of all that the minor hockey team I coach lost 2-1. Not a very productive night.:D

Peter

9. Simon Stillwater

Simon Stillwater Member

City, State:
      Connecticut
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Peter to try to fix the busted USB drives try this: (from here: 3 Best Ways to Fix 'The Format Did Not Complete Successfully' Error - EaseUS)

"1. Fix 'the format did not complete successfully' by using Windows Disk Management

Unknown viruses on your computer may stop you formatting your disk drive in a large extent, so run a virus check using the security software at first attempt. Afterwards, try to format again in Disk Management carefully.

Step 1. Go to Run and type in diskmgmt.msc and press enter.
      Step 2. Find your USB drive in the list and right-click on the disk and select "Format" option.
      Step 3. Follow the format wizard to complete the format process.

Or you may perhaps delete the volume, create a new one and then format."

10. tinner

tinner Active Member

City, State:
      KC MO. area
      2013 Explorer Limited AWD
      Apparently you are not the only one with download issues.

11. kmarnes

kmarnes Active Member

City, State:
      Vancouver, BC
      2017 Explorer Sport
      This is somewhat unlikely but possible. Usually all you do is stick the drive into your computer, and from File Explorer (My Computer) -- right click on the drive and pick Format. A quick format is perfectly fine -- it just nukes the low level index but not the entire data on the drive. USB sticks can be finicky and sometimes they just don't work right. If you have problems with errors when trying to explore the drive plugged into your computer, or if auto detection is hit or miss, then it's likely the drive.

12. kmarnes

kmarnes Active Member

City, State:
      Vancouver, BC
      2017 Explorer Sport
      Also, I've been using 3.0 for a few days now and have noticed I am once again getting traffic information -- green, yellow and red overlays, and incident icons. I thought that was something that came with Sirius. My Sirius trial expired 9 months ago.

Honestly, I generally don't pay too much attention to the nav system, so maybe it's a placebo effect. Can anyone else confirm whether traffic is available in 3.0 without Sirius, or any other version? I'm in Canada.

13. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      If you go to the Sync screen and select 'Apps' and check your Sirius Subscription you will find that you are 'Subscribed' to all but one item. They must be running one of those unannounced free trials. I just checked mine and everything but the last option is 'Subscribed'.

BTW. I'm in the process of formatting one of my 32GB USB drives right now. Anxious to see if it will be successful. I was able to right click on the drive before but it came up with a msg saying Windows cannot access it. Thanks to Simon's suggestion I'm now at least able to access it and hopefully end with a successful format.

Peter

14. kmarnes

kmarnes Active Member

City, State:
      Vancouver, BC
      2017 Explorer Sport
      Interesting. Maybe the drive became corrupt, but it could also just be a flaky drive too. Using disc management now?

Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.
    15. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Yes re disk management but it also ended up the same way in that it could not complete the format. I am now trying it again using the right click/format method on my laptop and was able to do a 'Quick' format successfully. It is now running a full/complete format. Both computer and laptop are running Windows 10.

16. kmarnes

kmarnes Active Member

City, State:
      Vancouver, BC
      2017 Explorer Sport
      As I feared... sometimes it might work and sometimes it might just fail. Like playing roulette. That's a common problem with USB sticks... sometimes it's just the connection that is unstable, but the drive itself is likely fine. Some sticks are cheaper than others as far as construction goes. You could always borrow or just buy another one and it'll probably solve the problem. I've had a few USB sticks go back over the years. Sometimes it can also be the usb plug on your computer device. Frequently the ones at the back of the machine are more stable than the peripheral ones.

I have a MicroSD in my dashcam and have a USB converter for it, and it's flaky as hell, but it's still the fastest way to download footage. It'll just crap out randomly whether I'm actively copying or idle.

17. Simon Stillwater

Simon Stillwater Member

City, State:
      Connecticut
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Agreed, I just posted those instructions in case the USB isn't recognized by Windows Explorer which is what it sounded like Peter was experiencing.

18. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      I wasn't able to access either one on my computer but was on my laptop. Not sure why the difference. Both run the same OS and security program (Bitdefender). One is now formatted FAT32 and the other exFat. Will try the update again using the latter. Thanks for all the help/guidance.

Peter

19. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Wisconsin
      16 Edge Sport
      2.3 for non-nav is now officially out as well.

20. vuhothang

vuhothang New Member

City, State:
      HCMC
      2017, Explorer Limited
      I want update Sync 2.2 to 3.0 newset build, can i downgrade from 3.0 to 2.2. Next time i must check FSA 17N03 with my dealer (warranty policy)

21. Chris-74

Chris-74 New Member

City, State:
      Vancouver
      2017 Explorer XLT
      I got the traffic info back again since updating, although I’m on v2.3. I have the basic Sirius subscription, but not any add-ons. There was a previous mention that you get 5 free years of traffic as opposed to the 6 months of music. I’m in Canada too.

Last edited: November 14, 2017
    22. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      See my post 137 above as to why you're getting that. You won't have it long.

23. Chris-74

Chris-74 New Member

City, State:
      Vancouver
      2017 Explorer XLT
      Will check mine again, but yesterday only the first one was subscribed. Maybe because I do have a paid subscription for just the “radio” stations?

24. Rainlord

Rainlord Member

City, State:
      Zurich, Switzerland
      Explorer 2012 XLT
      Apparently you can, from what I read on here. Here's the quote:

25. BJensen

BJensen New Member

City, State:
      Poquoson, VA
      2017 Explorer Sport
      New member here. Finally found answers about Sync 3 software updates here (versus the dealer). Followed instructions on this thread, used 64 GB thumb drive formatted in exFAT. Extracted files to thumb drive and loaded in the vehicle without a single glitch. Total time for file transfer and system update was less than 20 minutes. Upgraded from 2.0 to 2.3 to primarily fix traffic updates glitch.

I ops checked the nav on recent trip to the DC area and it worked great (lots of traffic to test it out on). Compared how well it worked to google maps on my phone and it was spot on. POI's worked great as well.

Just wanted to share and let folks know it worked great. I tried to get an update via my dealer but they just said I already had the most recent version! (2.0)

I'm already a fan of this great resource!

• Like Like x 1
      • Disagree Disagree x 1
    26. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
      Thanks for the <20 minutes info to update. My 1st attempt wasn't successful using a 32GB Fat32 USB (long story). I was able to get another one formatted exFAT and will give it a try next week when I have a 25 minute drive to make.

Peter