Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

SYNC 3 latest version

Discussion in '2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology' started by Vinayak, September 21, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Lewisra

Lewisra Active Member

City, State:
      Howell, mi
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2017 explorer limited
      In the U.S. Sirius traffic is free for 5 years. Not sure if that’s been said. Don’t know if it’s different in Canada.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Sgt1411

Sgt1411 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      VanBC/GoodyearAZ
      2017 Explorer SPORT
      Just like VHR Canada doesnt get it..........That's why I wear a hat that says "Make Trudeau a Drama Teacher Again"

4. Rainlord

Rainlord Member

City, State:
      Zurich, Switzerland
      Explorer 2012 XLT
      Just updating my own question about a Sync3 unit in Europe. I updated my (EU-purchased with v2.2 already on it) Sync3 unit in my 2012 XLT from 2.2 to 2.3 without any problems.

For the software itself, I googled a VIN for a for-sale-in-the-EU 2017 XLT (happened to be German), and on the Ford owner page I temporarily added it as my car, which then let me get to the page for Sync 3 updates. I downloaded that, extracted the zip, copied it to an old 8 gig (formatted) USB stick that has a light on it that blinks when something is reading from it (great for updating cars that don't show a progress bar), and plugged it into the car's USB. It blinked for a good while without any info on the Sync screen, and then a popup said it was updating the system software. Later it said to restart the car to do the actual update, at which point it did nothing visually, but the Sync info screen said it was on v2.3. As mentioned, it seems this has nothing to do with maps, only the system software itself.

I hope it fixes the Sync 3 "startup sound" (the "chime" sound) playing randomly when I'm driving, was slowly driving me nuts.

5. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      There is no Sync 3 "start up" sound or vehicle start up sound. The sound you are getting must be picked up from something else or due to some kind of notification that something is wrong.

Peter

6. kmarnes

kmarnes Active Member

City, State:
      Vancouver, BC
      2017 Explorer Sport
      Speak for yourself. I definitely get a startup sound every time I start the car (with no problems). I always start the car before putting on my seatbelt, seeing it's so easy to push the start button while I'm getting seated. What about you?

7. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      I do exactly the same thing most of the time but that so called start up sound is the "belt minder". If you buckle up before starting the vehicle there is no "start up" sound (chime). Just wanted to relay that there isn't actually a sound directly related to starting the vehicle. I guess it's really how you look at it or interpret it.:)

Peter

8. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Wisconsin
      16 Edge Sport
      Perhaps there is also some confusion about this tone being generated...

What I mean is a lot of people tend to group anything a vehicle does by the infotainment system it has. Is it actually SYNC3 generating the tone or is it another system generating a tone being played through the audio system which is what most tones (notice I didn't say all) do unless an audio system error has occurred (one example is the audio system didn't boot up in time to play the tone) which then causes tones to default to the instrument cluster speaker.

I have a bench setup and can say SYNC3 itself has no startup tone unless you get a message on the unit at start up.

Last edited: November 21, 2017
    9. kmarnes

kmarnes Active Member

City, State:
      Vancouver, BC
      2017 Explorer Sport
      That's it! Video will settle this... standby.

EDIT: I win

For the record, I've always heard this startup chime regardless of Sync version -- 2.0 or 3.0. And I get the startup sound with or without any diagnostic warnings such as my low tire or low fuel. It always happens. Perhaps there's a menu setting that controls it. It plays even if you put the seat belt on first.

The other sound that starts playing during the last couple seconds of the video is my dashcam.

10. Chris-74

Chris-74 Member

City, State:
      Vancouver
      2017 Explorer XLT
      Mine does the same “startup” chime. I think it’s just the Explorer saying hello :wave:
      Not the same as the seatbelt chime.

11. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Wisconsin
      16 Edge Sport
      That is too funny. Nothing to do with the SYNC 3 system. You are confusing other vehicle systems with SYNC3. SYNC 3 does not control the entire vehicle.

• Like Like x 1
    12. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Wisconsin
      16 Edge Sport
      Pull the fuse for the SYNC system. You will get the same sound when you start up the vehicle.

• Like Like x 1
    13. kmarnes

kmarnes Active Member

City, State:
      Vancouver, BC
      2017 Explorer Sport
      I was just countering Peter saying there is no startup sound. I'm a programmer, so software versions are everything. You think they can't change something as simple as a startup sound?

14. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Wisconsin
      16 Edge Sport
      This thread is about SYNC3 and the person said this "I hope it fixes the Sync 3 "startup sound" (the "chime" sound) playing randomly when I'm driving, was slowly driving me nuts."

This "start up sound" has NOTHING to do with SYNC3. It is built into the instrument cluster. Only a software change to the instrument cluster will alter this. SYNC3 does not have the capability to alter it.

I am not saying there is no start up sound.

• Like Like x 1
    15. kmarnes

kmarnes Active Member

City, State:
      Vancouver, BC
      2017 Explorer Sport
      You derail the thread good sir.

Last edited: November 22, 2017
    16. Rainlord

Rainlord Member

City, State:
      Zurich, Switzerland
      Explorer 2012 XLT
      I could also be wrong, but I keep thinking it is the startup sound of Sync based on the timing. It's possible it's from the car itself. I'll see if I can trace it down further assuming it still happens in v2.3 on my car. I should also add that my sound is different from the one in the video. Odd.

17. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      I have had no luck in trying to update to V2.3. Put the USB drive (32 GB exFat) into the vehicle yesterday and after a minute or so the drive began flashing and shortly after that the Updating System Software appeared at the top of the screen. After about 6 minutes "Restarting" appeared on the screen and the system rebooted and the 'Home' screen came back up along with the Updating System Software notice. After driving around with that Updating notice all of yesterday and today I removed the USB. It still shows V2.0.
      If you do up your seat belt prior to starting the vehicle, there should be no chimes or other warning sounds at all. I have done that on several occasions and other than the radio coming on and the engine, there was absolutely nothing else. As Jason (jmr061) stated, Sync 3 does not produce a sound when starting up. Good luck.
      I just noticed that you have a 2012 model. If you added Sync 3 then it is possible you have an issue created by that addition.

Peter

18. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Do you get the chime if you do up the seat belt before starting the vehicle Chris? If so, then I'm guessing there may be an unrelated issue. I think one possible way to verify whether or not it is Sync 3 causing the issue is to turn OFF the radio/sync unit before shutting off the vehicle. Upon restarting the Explorer and with the seat belt fastened, the radio/sync unit should remain off and you should not hear any chimes etc.

Peter

19. kmarnes

kmarnes Active Member

City, State:
      Vancouver, BC
      2017 Explorer Sport
    20. Chris-74

Chris-74 Member

City, State:
      Vancouver
      2017 Explorer XLT
      To be honest, I don’t really pay enough attention to recall when it does or doesn’t chime. I’ll have to try with the different variables. And lately I’ve been using remote start with the colder weather, so again another variable to consider.

21. Sgt1411

Sgt1411 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      VanBC/GoodyearAZ
      2017 Explorer SPORT
      Do a Master Reset then check the version again.

22. Chris-74

Chris-74 Member

City, State:
      Vancouver
      2017 Explorer XLT
      Okay, so I did several tries with seatbelt on before starting engine, after starting, radio on and off, remote start etc. I think my neighbor now thinks I have OCD.
      Peter, you are right, it only chimes if the seatbelt isn’t buckled before pressing the start engine button. I always thought the seatbelt chime was a different sound, which it is if you start driving without the seatbelt for about 15-20 seconds.
      Never really paid much attention to it until now....

23. kmarnes

kmarnes Active Member

City, State:
      Vancouver, BC
      2017 Explorer Sport
      Mine always does it even if I put the seatbelt on first. The seatbelt alert is a different chime and it happens about 10-15 seconds after startup. I don't understand why everyone is having a different experience. Oh well... 2.0 vs 3.0 -- I'm trying to understand some of the differences. Other than a couple icon changes, the only thing I think I've noticed is that my phone calls show the portrait if I have it set. But I can't remember if that also happened in 2.0 lol. It's almost like the only difference is the version.

2.0 vs 3.0 is super subtle so far -- and I virtually never use the nav system.

24. GlitchMitch

GlitchMitch New Member

City, State:
      Niverville, Manitoba
      2017 Ford Explorer Sport
      I'm just formatting my usb to FAT32 and start the process for taking my 2017 Ex Sport Sync with Nav from v2.0 to v2.3. Sooooo..... what's the big deal? What are the differences? Do we see any improvements, performance enhancements, or button rearrangements? Or do we see, like in past updates, removal of certain climate controls? Would be nice to see the benefits from all our efforts here.

Cheers
      Ex pat Brit Chris in Oh Canadia

25. kmarnes

kmarnes Active Member

City, State:
      Vancouver, BC
      2017 Explorer Sport
      So far I can't tell that there were any differences. What I am seeing so far:
      • New icon for nav button
      • I'm getting traffic updates again (but wasn't certain if I was getting them before I upgraded).
      • I see my wife's picture when I call her. I also can't remember if that was happening in 2.0 or not -- I also recently upgraded my iPhone to iOS 11, so it could have been that for all I know.
      • I never use the navigation system, but possibly updated maps
      • Performance feels the same.
      • Perhaps more voice commands

Honestly... I don't think it's worth upgrading. Maybe others can add anything they've noticed during their upgrades. And people still on 2.0 can at least confirm or counter my observations. Because I don't know lol. I have not seen any patch notes anywhere. My guess is that it was a leaked beta test version that never went official.

26. Dfred

Dfred Active Member

City, State:
      Lexington, Ky
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Big improvement for me....... IPod is working fine now with IOS 11.1.before I would have to unplug and plug it back into get it to work. Works every time since the update.... other than that, I don’t see any cosmetic changes.