• Register Today It's free!

sync 3 V2.0

bnewt

Reaction score
City, State
Shepherdsville, Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer LIMITED
Just received my 2017 Limited with the sync 3 system. I don't like the phone portion In the lower right corner of the home screen. Is there any way to disable or hide that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not having a Sync 3 screen to look at I'm not really sure what you are referring to. Have you read the Sync 3 User Guide to see if there are any instructions to personalize the screen? I also came across this short video but am unable to relate anything in it to what you mentioned. Hopefully some members will be more helpful.

Peter

Just received my 2017 Limited with the sync 3 system. I don't like the phone portion In the lower right corner of the home screen. Is there any way to disable or hide that?
Not yet.

Extremely unlikely.

V2.2 is floating around. I updated and it fixed a lot of iOS compatibility issues. Nothing on your point though. I also questioned the phone section on the home screen but it isn't that big a deal for me. I normally either leave it on audio or nav.

Check my posts. There's a link to v2.2. Worked great.

I used that link for my 16 Focus because it stated that it was for 2016 SYNC3 versions v1.0 or v1.1.

We have v2.0 in our 17 Explorers so I didnt want to try it.

I used that link for my 16 Focus because it stated that it was for 2016 SYNC3 versions v1.0 or v1.1.

We have v2.0 in our 17 Explorers so I didnt want to try it.
My 17 Explorer had 2.0. I used it to upgrade to 2.2. Worked great.

Will Ford offer ongoing updates, or is it more like "you bought it, now it's yours"?

My 17 Explorer had 2.0. I used it to upgrade to 2.2. Worked great.

Since our 2017 Ex's v2.0 had CarPlay and A/A did you notice anything upgrading from v2.0 to v2.2?

Since our 2017 Ex's v2.0 had CarPlay and A/A did you notice anything upgrading from v2.0 to v2.2?
Substantially improved iOS integration. No more phone connection/iPod connection issues. Listen to an iPod touch often. Just wouldn't stay connected. All kinds of problems with contacts in iPhone not showing up, etc. fixed it all.

Will Ford offer ongoing updates, or is it more like "you bought it, now it's yours"?
Supposedly it checks for updates every time it connects to a known wifi signal, like in the garage. Don't think they'd do this if they weren't planning updates. Also ford owners website, once you register has a note whether your sync is up to date. All this leads me to think there will be updates. How often is anybody's guess.

That would be excellent. They should publish a list of updates, when they were released and what they did. I'm curious how often they will update. I hope it's an ongoing thing.

That would be excellent. They should publish a list of updates, when they were released and what they did. I'm curious how often they will update. I hope it's an ongoing thing.

I have been on this forum since I bought my 2011 Explorer Limited which had the all to infamous "MFT aka, My Ford Disappointment"

Even Mark Fields & Bill Ford would agree with that statement.

Never did we get official notice on updates or release notes from Ford until after someone on the forum or online had already released the info.

Very frustrating process over these many years with the communication strategy.

Just look at how SYNC 3 V2.2 is being released.

Here are some 2018 model year SYNC 3 news items from CES 2017

http://fordauthority.com/2017/01/ford-finally-announces-wifi-hotspot-feature-for-sync-connect/

http://fordauthority.com/2017/01/ford-sync-3-adds-integration-for-exxonmobil-speedpass-app/

http://fordauthority.com/2017/01/sy...can-now-project-the-app-on-the-sync-3-screen/

That's some underwhelming stuff. The wifi hotspot being IMO the only interesting announcement, and it's only taking effect in new 2018 vehicles.

Is Ford's company culture just way behind the curve? Do they have ears on the street, listening to customer reactions, and hearing what customers want? They did upgrade MFT to Sync3, so that's encouraging. But where do we go if we want to talk to Ford? Because I do have some things I wanna say to them.

If I (harumph!) were running things, there would be a dedicated team to listen and react on an ongoing basis. And I don't mean some Indian call center, I mean a team that can turn feedback into action via ongoing updates, and recommend strategy to upper management. I think I'm dreaming, though.

That's some underwhelming stuff. The wifi hotspot being IMO the only interesting announcement, and it's only taking effect in new 2018 vehicles.

Is Ford's company culture just way behind the curve? Do they have ears on the street, listening to customer reactions, and hearing what customers want? They did upgrade MFT to Sync3, so that's encouraging. But where do we go if we want to talk to Ford? Because I do have some things I wanna say to them.

If I (harumph!) were running things, there would be a dedicated team to listen and react on an ongoing basis. And I don't mean some Indian call center, I mean a team that can turn feedback into action via ongoing updates, and recommend strategy to upper management. I think I'm dreaming, though.

You're absolutely correct, the communications strategy is very disappointing with forum reps saying one of two things;

1. Please take your vehicle to your dealer. (Most dealers know less then the customer on MFT and SYNC3)

2. We cant speculate on update release dates, please watch our FaceBook or Ford Social website.

Years ago I actually had the opportunity to speak to some of the people on the MFT Team as we were looking to integrate some of that technology into the PIU and PIS. The indignant, condescending, and arrogant personalities were not interested in their "Baby" being simplified for LEO use.

Many of those got the boot after the fiasco that followed with MFT.

Apple runs a very successful Public Beta program with their MacOS and iOS versions which, for the most part, leads to a cleaner Gold Master release.

Ford could easily do the same, and I dont mean roll it out to Ford staff to test, I mean roll it out to heavy tech users who can come up with multimedia scenarios that they normally can't replicate.

There also should be a feedback mechanism for software issues with updates using the WiFi that fix bugs more frequently than every 365 days. Apple does it why cant Ford ask QNX to include that in their SYNC 3?

PIS? PIU? LEO? Interesting that you got that impression from the MFT people. RIP MFT! At least QNX replaced MSFT and gave us a more satisfying user experience. That uses up my acronym quota for this post. :D

Not just bug fixes, but product enhancements prompted by feedback should be an ongoing thing. For example, I want the tach display to include which numerical gear is in use at all times, not just when the paddles are in play. It's a few lines of code. Maybe I'm not the only Explorer driver who wishes for that; Ford could find that out if they were listening, and easily make it so.

Customers shouldn't have to resort to 3rd party workarounds like Forscan to stop "double honk" or to get "dark car" or to just keep the dadgum radio playing longer without the engine running.

By the way, I'm intrigued by your "VanBC/GoodyearAZ" location line. Got to be a story there. My guess is you in AZ and son/daughter in Vancouver.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

PIS? PIU? LEO? Interesting that you got that impression from the MFT people. RIP MFT! At least QNX replaced MSFT and gave us a more satisfying user experience. That uses up my acronym quota for this post. :D

Not just bug fixes, but product enhancements prompted by feedback should be an ongoing thing. For example, I want the tach display to include which numerical gear is in use at all times, not just when the paddles are in play. It's a few lines of code. Maybe I'm not the only Explorer driver who wishes for that; Ford could find that out if they were listening, and easily make it so.

Customers shouldn't have to resort to 3rd party workarounds like Forscan to stop "double honk" or to get "dark car" or to just keep the dadgum radio playing longer without the engine running.

By the way, I'm intrigued by your "VanBC/GoodyearAZ" location line. Got to be a story there. My guess is you in AZ and son/daughter in Vancouver.

Back