Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

SYNC3 in a 2016 Explorer

Discussion in '2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology' started by jmr061, February 13, 2016.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. beatstanfurd

beatstanfurd New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2014 4DR XLT Explorer 4WD
      Wish I had read this more closely. I just got my sync 3 screen and apim. Unfortunately, my screen part number ends with -SB and the sides of the screen does not have the indent. If my existing brackets off the MFT will not fit the sync 3 screen, I imagine I'll have to enlarge the mount holes in the bracket. Won't know probably till after Thanksgiving, the explorer is at Ford getting warranty/recall work done.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Dbjax

Dbjax New Member

City, State:
      Jacksonville, FL
      2015 Explorer Sport
      So, after finding this thread, and scouring over other similar threads from 2gfusions and 6gmustangs, I took a chance and found a new Sync 3 APIM (non-navi) with screen on eBay to replace my 2015 Sync 2. While I couldn't verify the part number with any diagrams, it had the stepped side, so i risked the purchase (knowing I could probably resell it if necessary). It turned out to be a perfect fit, after I swapped my Sync 2 brackets.

Thanks to UPS, I had a few extra days to wait for my ELM327 cable to arrive, but being my impatient self, I figured I could at least test fit it and see what happened. I was surprised that it worked right out of the box (with some minor issues). Radio came to life, climate control worked, phone, settings, etc, all seemed to be good. Navigation showed a fault (but that was because it was a non-navi version) and I didn't have my heated/cooled seats and steering wheel controls, but I could experiment.

Fast forward 3 days and I finally get my programmer, load up FORSCAN and work through programming. Now, I'm fairly adept at tech, so this wasn't really a challenge for me, although it still took some trial and error to get things right. Ultimately, I have everything working, but have noticed a couple of issues that hopefully can be addressed.

Somehow during the programming today, I lost the ability for the E-911 from my phone. Normally when you pair a compatible phone, the system asks if you want to turn E-911 on. This was working throughout the week until I started reprogramming today.

Also, my Entertainment option on the IPC used to have an option to select bluetooth devices when connected, now it no longer does so.

Any ideas from those who've programmed before?

I have yet to test the Apple CarPlay as I am waiting for the USB hub to arrive. Once that's there I will test that and report back if there are any issues.

I have to count myself as very lucky, as all in I am under $400 for all my pieces. It can be done by yourself a lot more cost effectively than the kit solutions online ($1200++) as long as you do the research. Boards like these are truly very helpful and great sources of information to help get you through.

• Like Like x 1
    4. p6cl

p6cl New Member

City, State:
      Strongsville, OH.
      2014 Ford Explorer Sport
      I did this in a 2014 Ford Explorer Sport a few months ago, wish I saw this forum awhile ago. All is working well. I actually just updated my steering wheel to a 2017 Platinum but am waiting on the SCCM Module so I can program the steering wheel buttons to function properly. Also plan on adding the heated steering wheel. I have all the parts but have to figure out the wiring and all.

5. bigtexan99

bigtexan99 Member

2016 Explorer Sport
      Since this thread is so long, could we get the first post updated, or a new post made here, that summarizes the parts (with part numbers if possible) that it would take to accomplish what the Title of the thread is: Sync 3 in a 2016 explorer.

Also, does upgrading from Sync 2 to Sync 3 do anything to the SOUND QUALITY of the stereo? Or does it sound the same as with Sync 2.

Many thanks!

Last edited: January 14, 2018 at 9:41 PM
    6. PSUHammer

PSUHammer New Member

City, State:
      PA
      2016, Explorer Limited
      Hey all...joined late in the game as I bought a 2016 Explorer Limited used (5k miles!) thinking it had SYNC 3. Well, I have found the APIM, Screen and hub for under $500 (non nav) and just had a few questions about part numbers.

• I understand there are a few generations of APIM out there. Should I worry about that?
      • Does it matter what model the APIM came from other than programming?
      • Any guides for connecting to and programming these? I am an IT guy who hasn't done this before.

Thanks!!

7. PlatinumOwner

PlatinumOwner Active Member

2016 Explorer Platinum
      The sound quality is the same however SYNC 3 will also play lossless FLAC/ALAC audio files and these can sound much better.

• Like Like x 1