System advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

System advice

P

PeteT

Last year I had a Panasonic in dash (25W X 4) CD player installed and at the same time upgraded the factory speakers to component Eclipse 6.5" and Blaupunkt 5.5" speakers. It sounds great but now I am having a few problems.

1. tweeter cuts in and out when hitting bumps
2. When I use the heater and drive in the mountains, the CD player gets HOT and shows "Error E-2" and shuts down.

I heard that the cutting out is probably happening at the crossover point, that it is unusual to run component speakers directly off the deck, and that this lack of power is probably causing overheating. Does this sound reasonable?

I am thinking about buying a Precision Amp (250Watt) to drive the front speakers, and let the deck drive the rear. I do not want to sacrifice space for this amp, but I am not sure where it will fit. Any ideas? Also is this amp worth the extra money ($300) or is it overpriced?

This lack of music on road trips is definitely getting me down! =(

As far as your cd player goes, it may be you have a defective deck on your hands as cd players can be very fragile. Take it to a reputable service center and have them check it out. For your situation with the tweeters it sounds as if you simply have a loose connection somewhere in your system. If you've checked every point in your system and everything is tight, you may want to remove the tweeter itself and look at the contacts with the wires leading out of it. Sometimes on speakers the contacts seperate from the speaker and make for erratic performance. And as far as your amplifier goes, i think that spending 300$ on an amplifier to simply drive your front speakers is simply overkill. Go out and buy a good 4 channel amp to power all four speakers. You only need 30-40 watts of clean power to run even the finest components. I use pro series bostons in my cars and I run about 40-50 RMS into them. A good choice would be an alpine MRVF302 4 channel amp. They make 30x4rms, and usually sell for about 299$

Hi, Pete. CSUNracer is right, it could be it is defective. Also, though, on the Explorer newsgroup this has been discussd a little bit too, and some seem to think it's just that the radio is so close to the engine or something. This problem about the head unit being really hot has been experienced by other people too. In my Alpine head unit, I had a tape that I played a lot, and finally the tape ribbon melted from the heat. Others have had problem with aftermarket CD players as well too. I can't think of anything to do except to give the unit a breather every once in a while. Good luck, Jon

Back