1. It's time for our yearly 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale! Last day is November 30!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a full two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership!

If you would like to extend an existing membership for two more years please contact "Rick" through a conversation/private message as I will have to set up existing memberships manually. Thank you and happy holidays!!!
    Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

T3 T4 Hybrid Turbo OHV

Discussion in 'Need for Speed!' started by Caejxr, May 11, 2015.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Caejxr

Caejxr Active Member

City, State:
      My explorer eats money
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '97 Turbo 4.0 OHV
      Well I just had one of the worst customer service experiences I can recall ever having while on the phone with SI Valves attempting to place an order. I'm surprised because last time they were fine.

First I asked if they would do a custom order for bronze valve guides and was told "we don't do that"
      I started to say "well can I order.."
      Only getting to "well ca" before he blurts over me "ok, thanks" and hung up.

RUDE.

I was going to order a set for another vehicle listed in their catalog. But hey, at least I can say I won't ever use them again due to the sour taste I now have in my mouth.

Last edited: August 9, 2016
    2. Support EF

Holiday Special through Nov 30! Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      O wow..ive had very good experiences with them.they dont even list the ohv anymore but have always been willing to make them for customers that call up.

Guess we all have bad days but they/he should always conduct themselves in a professional business manor..its a shame they are only ones that make stock replacements..

Hey you can always bite the bullet and order a set of 1.8 and 1.5 from manley for $450ish,if your gonna drop big money thats where i would do it.big gains there and especially if forced induction. Thats the BIGGEST that will fit and require new larger hardened exhaust seats

4. Caejxr

Caejxr Active Member

City, State:
      My explorer eats money
      '97 Turbo 4.0 OHV
      You know, I'll edit the post and maybe remove it if SI sincerely apologizes since I don't really like calling out a company that employs multiple other people due to 1 employee who can't conduct themselves. Having worked in customer service oriented positions since college to include currently in my present position...your statement on professionalism @jd4242 is spot on. I just don't want anyone else to be as surprised as me if they get bad service. And I say surprised honestly as the last time I dealt with them was a very fast turn around on shipping and seemingly courteous dealings over the phone

Last edited: August 9, 2016
      • Like Like x 1
    5. malohnes

malohnes Active Member

City, State:
      SE Alaska
      '91 xl m5 4x4
      Getting anywhere on your project? I found a turbo I wantt o buy but trying to not get impatient so I can finish my tranny.

6. Caejxr

Caejxr Active Member

City, State:
      My explorer eats money
      '97 Turbo 4.0 OHV
      Well, I've got bare heads from promaxx their thicker and come with seats pressed in and I can't figure out if the cast guides are integral or not right yet. Recieved a gasket kit, rods, valves, Springs and I've had the cam... I want to be able to build the heads off the truck while still being able to use it so I still need to get retainers and rocker arm assemblies. I've read been reading interesting things on bronze guides in cast heads conflicting due to the different heat transfer rates and thus expansion rates and that chroming the valve stems would work but only if they were heat treated after to keep the valve heads from falling off.. there's a lot of conflicting information out there in regard to valves, guides and heads and theid materials...except that ss and cast don't mix well. So I'll have to refer to @jd4242 and how well his heads are holding up with bronze guides since he's a wealth of experience here. What I'm thinking right now is waiting for a few months when I go back home to get my heads to a machinist to fit the springs, do the valveguides, etc and I'll put the rockers on after. My best friend is a mechanic and he only takes his heads to one shop that he trusts and says they do some pretty off the wall work.

7. Caejxr

Caejxr Active Member

City, State:
      My explorer eats money
      '97 Turbo 4.0 OHV
      I did just install a manual boost T and turned it up a lb.... so awesome what only 1lb does. The 7lb waste gate spring only lets the boost hit about 6 lb up here in the high desert while down closer to sea level it gets closer to 7lb likely due to air density. Once everything is installed I'm thinking I'm just going to set it around 10-12 lb so there is some wiggle room with the gaskets limit and that should be plenty...at least until the itch comes back and I do the lowers and copper gaskets. It's all time and money to get it done at this point.

8. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      The guides are cast in the heads.yea we made the mistake of not putting broonze guides in my very first motor we did that had SS valves..i swore we did,he swore he did but about 6 months later i had issues and head came back off.the valves were so loose that they had basically destroyed the seats and valves..

Long story short we have made sure to do guides in every head ive built,mine being the longest and ive had them off a couple years ago when i blew the stock gaskets off..we went over the whole head and just decked it and threw it back on.everything looked good including the guides, motor is still currently in my ranger.also my buddies heads looked great after we pulled them not long ago and he had serious milage on his as well..

So cant say ive had any issues with broonze guides in cast heads.

Are you looking for all new rockers and shaft assembly? ? You know you cant install thise till the pushrods are in,basically last thing before valve covers and turning key on..there was a vendor on here that sold them as a whole unit but your save yourself a butt load of money getting melling rockers or sealed power and just replacimg them on the shaft you have,takes maybe 5 mins.

9. Caejxr

Caejxr Active Member

City, State:
      My explorer eats money
      '97 Turbo 4.0 OHV
      I'll be honest I did not think about the rockers having to go on after the pushrods are in but it makes sense. And definately in regard to saving money provided my rocker shafts are still in good shape.

10. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      Yep they really are about the last thing besides upper manifold and covers.

Your shaft will be fine,never seen any really with any issues. .i may have a set or two of just the shafts laying around somewhere. Had a delta set they told me to keep and a spare set plus the set thats about to come off..lol

11. Caejxr

Caejxr Active Member

City, State:
      My explorer eats money
      '97 Turbo 4.0 OHV
      Yeah, you know, I'll bet the delta stuff makes good paperweights

12. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      I keep them around to show people how much of trash they are and the exploded rocker...lol

13. Caejxr

Caejxr Active Member

City, State:
      My explorer eats money
      '97 Turbo 4.0 OHV
      Got studs, melting rocker arms and spring retainers on the way so that's the last of it before dropping off parts for the machine shop and the tear down/install. I went with the pinto kits on the arp studs as recommended since it comes out to almost 100$ cheaper for everything needed and then some.

• Like Like x 1
    14. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      Good deal.i almost have enough left over bolts to make a full kit,i should buy your spares and sell a complete kit to someone that needs it..lol

You get valve locks also?think rock auto carries them..

You any good at porting?? I can show you some pictures of easy porting and polish that will help drastically. .the humps in the exhaust ports can be taken out and the ports can be enlarged alot depending on what year heads you got? Also a good polish on the combustion chamber will help alot with detonation especially with your turbo.i focus on the CC and exhaust ports,thats where your gain the most,the intake is pretty good considering your forcing air in that way,the exhaust needs help getting that air out..

Also the lower manifold can be ported ALOT

Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.
    15. Caejxr

Caejxr Active Member

City, State:
      My explorer eats money
      '97 Turbo 4.0 OHV
      I'll take a look. I've got a Dremel I used to very slightly port and then Polish my wifes 89 yj intake manifold. The heads are the ProMaxx 98tm ones. There's space to remove and clean up some material. I do have the locks from rock auto. Temporarily cleaned them out a few weeks back.

16. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      Yea 98tm have the smaller ports..dremel probably wont cut it,your need a burr bit

17. Caejxr

Caejxr Active Member

City, State:
      My explorer eats money
      '97 Turbo 4.0 OHV
      Yeah, but it's corded so a burr bit in it if i can find one would probably be ok. If not I've got other tools that can take care of it. The last of the parts are set to show up this week. But I may have cracked the tank on my radiator a few inches from the top..either that or the cap/overflow hose is leaking or both I haven't quite been able to figure it out...you'd think it obvious which but it's not quite yet.

18. malohnes

malohnes Active Member

City, State:
      SE Alaska
      '91 xl m5 4x4
      Ive used a Dremel to port my heads. A air powered tool is much better but I got it done with carbide burrs. What it lacks in power it makes up for in rpm's. The biggest issue is reach into the ports.

Leaks often are exactly like that, obvious but not!

Any news with SI?

19. Caejxr

Caejxr Active Member

City, State:
      My explorer eats money
      '97 Turbo 4.0 OHV
      Probably just going to go with a universal aluminum radiator and universal mounts. I'd rather replace it than risk worse. As far as SI goes, no.

20. Caejxr

Caejxr Active Member

City, State:
      My explorer eats money
      '97 Turbo 4.0 OHV
      Pretty sure Ive got pretty much everything I need now. But I think I still need a set of cam bearings. I don't want to put old ones on the new cam. The machine work probably is going to wait for a while since there's a good shop back home I want to use. That will be the last piece before the last cleaning, final coats of paint and disassembly/install. Guesstimate is next summer due to time available or lack of rather.

• Like Like x 1
    21. malohnes

malohnes Active Member

City, State:
      SE Alaska
      '91 xl m5 4x4
      Glad things are coming together and bummed for you it'll take a longer to complete...youre making great progress here. Keep at it!!

22. Caejxr

Caejxr Active Member

City, State:
      My explorer eats money
      '97 Turbo 4.0 OHV
      Yeah I m making progress steadily. Minor setbacks. confirmed today when I drove it to work the radiators Cracked. About 2 min after I parked coolant started dumping out of the driver side tank on the front half way down. I was hoping to wait until it's time for the build to replace it but I want to use it until then so it's getting replaced with an OEM unit this next week. Has anyone ever plumbed coolant through the Trans cooler portion on the 2 core unit? I'm going to see what I can find and see if I can make it happen since otherwise it will go unused with the manual transmission.​

23. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      I dont think it would help any..if i recall the trans line just loops around inside the driverside tank

24. malohnes

malohnes Active Member

City, State:
      SE Alaska
      '91 xl m5 4x4
      Not much can be done for a leaky radiator by home mechanics and don't use Stop Leak!

There are a few good radiator shops here and there that can make a radiator for not much coin. You should shop around...
      A stock radiator isn't bad, mine has held up better than the $200 aluminum one I got on Ebay several years back.

25. Caejxr

Caejxr Active Member

City, State:
      My explorer eats money
      '97 Turbo 4.0 OHV
      If that's the case it definitely wouldn't do anything..how worthless. Explains a lot.

I just picked up an OEM rad at orielly. I'm hoping it makes a big difference. That old one is probably gunked up... not to mention leaking...

26. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      Im not 100% but pretty sure thats all it does.thats why they put a 2nd one thats separate in front