Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

T3 T4 Hybrid Turbo OHV

Discussion in 'Need for Speed!' started by Caejxr, May 11, 2015.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Caejxr

Caejxr Active Member

City, State:
      My explorer eats money
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '97 Turbo 4.0 OHV
      Well things have been busy in my buddies garage. Once the engine was on the stand...which took me a solid couple of days to get it there. One day spent just monkeying with trying to disconnect the quick connect fittings for the A.C. AND Fuel lines......I went into project mode and got working....I was pretty focused by that point and didn't take a whole ton of pictures, some, but not enough to break it down step by step.

Hitting a few areas of major frustration while trying to pull the engine it's been much more relaxing working on the engine proper while it's on the stand.

Once everything was apart and the block cleaned of gasket material. I gave it a good looking over. The bores and pistons have worn really well with the exception of the head of the #3 piston that is full of shrapnel marks from when I had the ceranics of a plug grenade in there 8 years (+-) ago.

I did some honing for the rings using a ball flex hone followed by an embedded nylon brush hone. Then gave the block a good wash down to remove all abrasive/metal dust. These resulted in a very nice cross hatch that should seat the new rings in quite well.

The new crank and pistons are all installed now. I didnt have a camshaft bearing tool so i ordered one. Nobody has one in the loaner tools or in stock. So now I am waiting on that and the heads to get done at the machine shop to finish the rebuild.

• Like Like x 2
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Caejxr

Caejxr Active Member

City, State:
      My explorer eats money
      '97 Turbo 4.0 OHV
      Monday morning I picked my heads up from the machine shop. Today the truck fired up and ran great. Going to have to pull codes tomorrow and see what the cel is for and take it for a drive if everything checks out. Not a lot of documenting took place. Focus was on getting the project done and out of my generous friends garage.

And it sounds great.

• Like Like x 3
    4. 4pointslow

4pointslow Explorer Torture Tester Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      Congratulations on getting lots of work done.
      I too get carried away with work and skip taking pictures sometimes, I always regret it though. lol.
      Does it feel like it has more power?

5. Caejxr

Caejxr Active Member

City, State:
      My explorer eats money
      '97 Turbo 4.0 OHV
      Haven't taken it out driving yet. Just did the initial startup. Going check everything over tomorrow and if everything seems in order I'll take it for a drive.

6. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      Seat them rings before its to late,dont run it too long

7. Caejxr

Caejxr Active Member

City, State:
      My explorer eats money
      '97 Turbo 4.0 OHV
      Yeah, I only ran it for about 15 min or so checking for leaks and getting the coolant filled. Next time it runs will be to get it on the road and put it under load to get the rings seated.

• Like Like x 2
    8. Caejxr

Caejxr Active Member

City, State:
      My explorer eats money
      '97 Turbo 4.0 OHV
      Finally got it out on the highway and out of my friends yard. Took it a few towns over over to where we'll be living. No tail pipe smoke after the first few miles. Noticed oil leaks and tightened up valve covers. Clear now the leaks are coming from head gaskets and also hear an intake leak whistling so ill just end up redoing all the top end gaskets since I'll be tearing it down that far again. Want to make sure it's rock solid for the boost and so I don't get left stranded in the middle of the woods. I screwed something up and better safe than sorry with this much invested.

9. Dono

Dono V8 Limited turbo and retired SC 4.0 OHV Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      shit, I know that feeling.

10. Caejxr

Caejxr Active Member

City, State:
      My explorer eats money
      '97 Turbo 4.0 OHV
      Well I got it done but my passenger side valve cover is leaking. Gasket looks like its in there straight and I tried tightening the cover just a bit more. Still leaks. I'm guessing it's bent from previous jobs. Contemplating replacement since it's leaking pretty steadily while the engine is running and the cloud of oil smoke I'm in at stops is stinky and embarrassing. Just not stoked for another 100 bucks for a new cover.

11. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      Didnt use cork gaskets did ya?? Also you put the little wings back on the bolt also? You put rtv where the head meets the intake?

12. Caejxr

Caejxr Active Member

City, State:
      My explorer eats money
      '97 Turbo 4.0 OHV
      Definately no cork. The rtv is applied at the seem of the lower intake and head. For the life of the vehicle it has never had torque spreaders on the covers. If I could find some that would fit it could potentially help the issue but looking at the cover it visibly isn't putting pressure on the gasket between bolts in about 3 places on the exhaust side and firewall side of the head so I'm thinking a flush new one will be the best way to go. The gasket I removed was stuck in there with a ton of rtv all the way around by the shop that did the head gaskets when I was in florida. That and the cheap gaskets they used along with other things I had found in the process of my rebuild would lead me to believe they really cranked down on the valve cover bolts and bent the cover for me and it just didn't leak from the amount of goop they put in there.

13. Caejxr

Caejxr Active Member

City, State:
      My explorer eats money
      '97 Turbo 4.0 OHV
      Well I've got time so I started building a bracket to hold the turbo in place next to the alternator and away from the belt tenisioner. Clearance was less than a milimeter when the engine was revved and although I don't see rub marks on the belt or turbo I don't want to have a need to replace a compressor housing or belts/tensioners prematurely. The bracket I'm making uses the lower 2 alternator bolts and 2 of the compressor housing bolts. I've got it mocked up but I still have some work to do on it. The turbo and y pipe move with the engine and theres a flexpipe in my down pipe to isolate the movement so I should be good on that side of things.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Dono

Dono V8 Limited turbo and retired SC 4.0 OHV Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      Pictures!

Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.
    15. Caejxr

Caejxr Active Member

City, State:
      My explorer eats money
      '97 Turbo 4.0 OHV
      Soon. I gotta goto bed. Early appointment with the VA tomorrow.

16. Caejxr

Caejxr Active Member

City, State:
      My explorer eats money
      '97 Turbo 4.0 OHV
      [​IMG]
      Not sure where the other pictures got to but heres the one I have. The bracket holds the turbo just far enough back for the belt and tensioner to clear the compressor housing. The way the y pipe was welded it would need to be cut and re-welded to move further.

Still needs to be cleaned up and finished but it fits and does the job. This picture should get the basic idea across.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    17. Valas1969

Valas1969 learning to be expert Elite Explorer

City, State:
      McDonald, PA
      1999 Explorer xlt 02 ST
      Check these out I think it's what you need. http://www.moranav6racing.com/i.php?f=/img/Products/pictures/IMG_5312.JPG&d=