Dismiss Notice

and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Tach stopped working

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Phantom5oh, December 16, 2005.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Phantom5oh

Phantom5oh New Member

City, State:
      Hanover, MA
      Year and Model:
      2000 Limited 5.0
      The tach in my 2000 Explorer Limited stopped working a few weeks ago. Most of the time it just sits on zero when it'sidling, or I'm driving, but if I accelerate hard and bring the revs up say 3500-4000, then it'll work for about 2 minutes and then drop back down to zero.

Anyone have a similar problem? Any ideas what it could be?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Phantom5oh

Phantom5oh New Member

City, State:
      Hanover, MA
      Year and Model:
      2000 Limited 5.0
      TTT

Probably a bad connections somewhere, any suggestions where to start looking?

4. 00XLS

00XLS Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Frackville/State College PA
      Year and Model:
      Explorer 00 XLS
      I'm also having this problem, I thought I might of left a connection loose when I installed my benzel. No such luck, I pulled the dash again and checked it, it worked better for a day or two but thats about it. Exact conditions you describe, try tapping the top of the dash, usually gets mine working for about 2 minutes or so.