• Register Today It's free!

Tailgate Trim Piece

skidoomxz99

Reaction score
City, State
Leominster, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer Explorer
The rear trim piece which sits right below the glass on the tailgate was recently replaced since it started to bow out last summer. My cousin owns a body shop, so we replaced the trim and he used a windshield adhesive on the new trim piece. I noticed last weekend that the left hand side of the trim piece is starting to pull away from the tail gate again.

I used some 3M heavy duty double-sided tape to temporarily stick the trim to the rear tailgate for now. Is anyone else having a problem with this trim piece pulling away? What type of adhesive should I use to hold this trim piece in place?

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, I am going to read the "evil crack" thread!

Does anyone know what type of adhesive will secure this panel to the tailgate?

My replacement panel came with the 3M double-sided automotive tape and that's how it's on there now.

The rear trim piece which sits right below the glass on the tailgate was recently replaced since it started to bow out last summer. My cousin owns a body shop, so we replaced the trim and he used a windshield adhesive on the new trim piece. I noticed last weekend that the left hand side of the trim piece is starting to pull away from the tail gate again.

I used some 3M heavy duty double-sided tape to temporarily stick the trim to the rear tailgate for now. Is anyone else having a problem with this trim piece pulling away? What type of adhesive should I use to hold this trim piece in place?

Thank you!
I had just the middle clips above the license plate start popping off. I had a friend put some pieces of double sided they use on go pros. It's only been about a week or so but it's holding well.

@Magneticgirl2016

This thread is 12+ years old and in the 2002-05 sub forum.

If your reply above is regarding your 2016 Sport, you should post in the 2011-16 forum linked below.

Back