1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Tailgate Trim Piece

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by skidoomxz99, April 3, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. skidoomxz99

skidoomxz99 Active Member

City, State:
      Leominster, MA
      Year and Model:
      2002 Eddie Bauer Explorer
      The rear trim piece which sits right below the glass on the tailgate was recently replaced since it started to bow out last summer. My cousin owns a body shop, so we replaced the trim and he used a windshield adhesive on the new trim piece. I noticed last weekend that the left hand side of the trim piece is starting to pull away from the tail gate again.

I used some 3M heavy duty double-sided tape to temporarily stick the trim to the rear tailgate for now. Is anyone else having a problem with this trim piece pulling away? What type of adhesive should I use to hold this trim piece in place?

Thank you!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Donner

Donner Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Natomas/Irvine
      Year and Model:
      01 Sp 03 XLT 4x4s, Scion
      Last edited: April 3, 2009
    4. skidoomxz99

skidoomxz99 Active Member

City, State:
      Leominster, MA
      Year and Model:
      2002 Eddie Bauer Explorer
      Thanks, I am going to read the "evil crack" thread!

Does anyone know what type of adhesive will secure this panel to the tailgate?

5. abarkl

abarkl Active Member

City, State:
      Phoenix, AZ
      Year and Model:
      '03 Eddie Bauer
      My replacement panel came with the 3M double-sided automotive tape and that's how it's on there now.