Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Tapping into accessory power

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by extra-medium, March 1, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. extra-medium

extra-medium Active Member

City, State:
      Charlottesville, VA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2002 Mercury Mountaineer
      I searched around and couldn't find anything that relates to what I'm looking for. I have a Bluetooth fm transmitter that I mounted on my dash. It was originally a cigarette plug but I didn't like always having to plug it in and unplug it since the cigarette plug has constant power. I want to hard wire it into an accessory that turns on with the key, mainly the radio but I'm open to suggestions. I have an unused wire/plug for a cigarette lighter under my center console but as far as I know that has constant power as well. What would be the recommended way to tap into something for power that is close to the radio, but doesn't involve taking the whole dash apart? Any suggestions on what to tap into? I have a 3rd gen, 2002 Mercury Mountaineer with the 6 disc audiophile sound system. Thanks for any help.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. chiko

chiko Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Houston TX
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2004 SportTrac 4x4
      Last edited: November 24, 2017