Tbars Project "X" begins | Page 40 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tbars Project "X" begins

First and foremost my ranger is my favorite truck...I will not let any of you fools try to talk me into changing my new project into some rock beast, lmao...this rig is just to go camping and fishing in and thats it...it took all the money i had to buy and the seller was great and is a new member here....thanks rick, the seller that is...

I have never as much sat in an explorer and today was the first time i opened a door on one...

It needs alot of tlc and a new 4.0 motor as the current one is seized...It needs a bit of paint work as the clear coat is shot and the front fenders are a different color....

Notes
1) Kbabiak, you need to make some pre-made shipping tags with my name on them as I will be needed a bunch of little parts...
2) Admin Rick, I sent my new membership dues in at 8am this morning as i was hoping to be a new X owner...
3)All elite members, I am going to need alot of help and parts for my new to me, 91 XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

think you need to find a new yard to park that at........Seriously :rolleyes:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

...Naw...That was at the pick and pull it happened...I would have heard it driving there and I would have seen it on the ground when I left the first pick n pull...

...Where I park my X there was a guy I was suspicious of including missing about 5 gallons of fuel...He was evicted 2 days after my last shock incident and nobody there has had a problem since...Oh yea, he was evicted for being around the Diesel pushers on the other side of the property...He was storing a pos car with all his belongings in it..

hmmm keep wondering what the fascination is with your shocks?

..Me too...:dunno:

...Other than being a little longer than most, I will give them away if I could afford a full set of bling shocks...

...Nothing new lately as I am still trying to settle up after the accident...I did get my registration notice today and it's $69 bucks and no smog..Woohoo...:biggthump

hmmm keep wondering what the fascination is with your shocks?

...The plot thickens..:shifty_ey..It's not just my shocks in fact, it's got to do with the bolts somehow...:scratch:

...I had to flag down an early 90's lifted 4x4 F250 yesterday morning when I pulled out of where I park my trucks...He has a shop a couple doors down and as he pulled onto the street in front of me, both of his rear shocks were missing the bottom bolts and just about dragging the ground...After we talked we figured that someone is stealing them either for their size or weight...:dunno:

...It seems we share about the same percentage of theft while your property crime is much higher...:dunno:
http://www.idcide.com/citydata/ga/cumming.htm

...Loosing a couple bolts keeps me up on my maintenance checks..:p:

...If you could only have been here for this last week of weather, it was in the lower 80's and flat perfect, from the beach, to the desert, to the snow in the mountains..:D

..If you could only have been here for this last week of weather, it was in the lower 80's and flat perfect, from the beach, to the desert, to the snow in the mountains..:D

Lower 80's? We're in the lower 30's - yes, I'm ready to move back there. 2 inches of snow last Friday, and it is supposed to be 61 on Sunday.

...I haven't drove the X much in the past few months but thought I would update some maintenance info...

...Cheap bearings, Beware...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2458667&postcount=106

...My starter finally went out today and I had a spare saved for 3 years...I even stopped by AZ and had them test the spare and it checked out fine except, they don't have a solenoid test...Swapped it out and yes, bad solenoid so I wound up buying a hi-torque starter today and all is good...

...More maintenance to follow but need to first get the mods and maintenance done to the Ranger in first..:hammer:

...Started on some overdue maintenance on the X...I guess you can only abuse them for so long before everything wants to be serviced at once...:rolleyes:

...Started checking into a recent problem.(post 57)..
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221335&page=3

...Then moved onto replacing the bearings and dust seal on the drivers side while adding 1/2" lift back into the front..(Taken out a while back to do some suspension mods but was sidetracked due to the accident)

...Moved over to the passenger side to see if I could resolve the issue of why I couldn't get the axle shaft pulled thru in order to get the splined washer and c-clip on when I did the emergency repair due to bad bearings on the front right...After fighting with it for a while I finally tore it all back down and realized when I swapped the snouts that I had left the plastic/rubber bushings of the old snout inner bearings on when I installed the newer snout...:confused:

...I started to unbolt the spring to add 1/2"on that side but the nut wouldn't break loose even after spraying it for the last couple days...The dang bolt broke loose but the nut is still on there so, I'm needing to find the nut size and will be picking up a couple tomorrow so I at least have a spare...

...Thursday I got the drivers side done, new pos cable, and new starter relay installed to match the new starter, which allowed me to update the battery cable thread with pictures..
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250186

..I did start the day off running to both the local pic your parts yards...First one on Katella had nothing really to choose from..:thumbdwn:..The one on Beach is stocked up with first gen Explorers as they are going to have their 1/2 price sale Memorial weekend, and 2 more were being dropped off as I was leaving...

...They also have a 94 Ranger like mine in there with a 4.0, M50D, 1354, if anyone is looking for those parts...;)...(tail lights were busted)

...I got my 2- 5/8"x11x 1-1/8" coil spring retainer nuts and a couple spare splined washers for $1.44 at pic your parts...Went to Ford on the way home and they have them out of town for $3.50 each or a bag of 4 for $14...

...Got all done and went to put all the tools up and right in front of me I found my other set of stock coil spring bolts, spring seats, nuts, and retainers I picked up last year for spares ...:rolleyes:

...Do these shoes make my X look fat???...:scratch:

km2_003.jpg

km2_002.jpg

No, it's the distorted image that makes it look skinny.
Nice! You needed new tires already? I didn't think you drove it that much. And i thought you loved the goodyears. I want those KM2s someday.

...On this page, the first pic is fine and the second pic is very slightly distorted on my computer...:dunno:

...The MTR's wouldn't have lasted thru the summer heat on asphalt so (3rd set of MTR's and I realize they don't like the highway but they do love the rocks), it was time to get new tires before the prices go up which they already are...

..The KM2's I have been wanting since I do drive the truck on the highway to the trails...Last years Pismo run (about 500 mile trip) I swear I lost a 1/4" on all 4 tires...I've been talking to other guys who have 35,000 miles or more on their 35" or larger KM2's and they love them for their mileage and low noise...The guys I know who wheel them say they are great there too..

...There appears to be some type of shortage on the KM2's right now as I have heard while trying to get them that they had a short run on them...:dunno:...A lot of places don't even have an answer for when they can get more in...

I had the same problem when I was looking for a set about a month ago. Nobody had them or knew when they would get them. They just said a few months. I ended up having to buy a used but pretty much new set.

Where did you end up getting yours at?

...Tirecrawler.com...
http://tirecrawler.com/shop/detail_tire.php?product_id=6017

..They weren't my first choice but wound up being one of my only choices for a good price and in stock...I must say that they made me very pleased with their super service...:biggthump ...The tire shop that they sent me to was excellent and was even going to give me free nitrogen in them till I told them "don't waste the nitrogen, I deflate my tires often"...

...I just noticed, they put these cute little chrome valve stems on...The cap looks like it's a gel pack with a green outline around it...I knew they were going to put new valve stems on but I thought it would be the good old rubber ones with the black plastic caps..:dunno:

km2.jpg

Back