Tbars Project "X" begins | Page 44 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tbars Project "X" begins

First and foremost my ranger is my favorite truck...I will not let any of you fools try to talk me into changing my new project into some rock beast, lmao...this rig is just to go camping and fishing in and thats it...it took all the money i had to buy and the seller was great and is a new member here....thanks rick, the seller that is...

I have never as much sat in an explorer and today was the first time i opened a door on one...

It needs alot of tlc and a new 4.0 motor as the current one is seized...It needs a bit of paint work as the clear coat is shot and the front fenders are a different color....

Notes
1) Kbabiak, you need to make some pre-made shipping tags with my name on them as I will be needed a bunch of little parts...
2) Admin Rick, I sent my new membership dues in at 8am this morning as i was hoping to be a new X owner...
3)All elite members, I am going to need alot of help and parts for my new to me, 91 XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...As fate would have it, it's time to pull the X off "Grocery Getter" duty and take it out to the trails...

...For the past few months I had diligently been working on the Ranger getting it ready for Truckhaven...Due to a good week of rain and lack of work, the ranger fell just shy of being completed..On top of that, Truckhaven with mud is not what the Ranger was built for, yet..

...As a last minute decision I decided to take the X out there so it left me with a 1 drizzly day to get her ready..She is heading out on the welded up RA as there is not enough time to get started on the tranny mount and install the new RA's...

...My other big concern is, it's been pinging only sometimes on highway hill climps and yesterday it had a small, one time misfire..I took it to two of my buddies shops and they both let me use their hi-tech scan tools...Project X came back with zero codes KOEO and KOER...:biggthump

...I next cleaned the MAF and checked torque on all intake tube, IAC, MAF, etc...I did find that the vacuum hose leading into the cab has broke again so, I just capped off that line from the motor...The X has more power and response so I'm hoping this resolved the problem but will definitely know tomorrow as that's when I'm heading out ..

...I've already tested the FPR and fuel pump but if any more problems, I'm leaning toward the fuel pump..:rolleyes:

...Other preparations for the trip:

..Checked basic fluids
..Checked tire pressure
..Knocked dirt and sand off of KKM filter
..Fixed the last two, door post with hose fix. (didn't need fixed originally)
..Swapped antenna's with Rangers new one
..Found short in front Rock Lights
..Wired Rock Lights and CB back up
...Wiped the lenses on all rock lights clean...:D

...Funny how this truck has now become my backup trail truck...I don't know when it happened, but it happened...:confused:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

...Funny how this truck has now become my backup trail truck...I don't know when it happened, but it happened...:confused:

The Ranger used to be that nice, clean, take it to work and go fishing on the weekends...

How times change.

Attachments

• pickuplot5003oh3.jpg
    pickuplot5003oh3.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 663

...It still is...:biggthump

...:shifty_ey ..It's just acquired more character...:D

...Truckhaven was a blast as always...:biggthump

...It was truly different this time due to all the earthquakes since the big one Easter and since it must have just rained heavily before we got there...All the nasty spots in the ditches were completely flat like glass except for all the boulders protruding up...

...The bluffs were more difficult as most of the roads to them were washed away so finding other off chutes became making your own and hoping they weren't dug out underneath where you were driving...Several times we got out to verify roads and trails...:D

..Some updates:..

..AGR pump...

...This was the first trip let alone offroad trip that I have used it on...It worked great on trail but I did notice something peculiar..When on long highway drives and you get off the highway, when you turn it roars like it's low on fluid...As soon as you turn the wheel hard one way or the other, the noise is gone...This doesn't happen any other time..:dunno:

...KM2's...

...I aired them down and felt comfortable getting used to them offroad at 12#'s psi...I did notice that the tires seemed to generally be soft and performed like a soft tire...They worked great on and offroad but I did notice they seemed softer after a couple days of wheeling offroad while they seemed normal on the drive home...

...Yellow top...

...I wanted to test this out a little bit...I took and did something you never do with a normal battery...I filled up all my tires with my little compressor while not starting the engine...It worked like a champ and had no effect...I was the most impressed with this add on...:biggthump

...BTW, the fuel pump seemed ok while plugging the vacuum line resolved the pinging...I did notice a backfire and a definite miss while romping on it one time in the washes...Definitely time for plugs and wires first...

...Been a little busy with work so I can feed my addiction a little...Well, at least get a new tire...:(

..I just ordered a replacement 35" KM2 from Tirecrawler.com ...$185 total for the tire delivered to the tire shop for free.. I'll have to pay mount and balance but I now have a good spare with really good tread..:biggthump

...Hoping to a spare wheel when pick your parts has it's 50% off sale turkey day weekend...

...I had to pull off in the middle of a job so the Ranger was packed full of tools...So I pulled the X out still dirty, and took it to thanksgiving dinner...:D
turkey_day_gifts_001.jpg

...This morning I woke to the third day of mid 30 temps (in the mornings) and when I fired the X up I had a couple of bearing noises...One was the idler I had yet to replace while the other was the intermittent bearing noise on the alternator...:(

...The alternator has had this noise on/off for quite a while but it has been perfectly fine...Since it's had a few more dousing's in mud and we have started what looks like it could be a cold wet winter, it was time to go shopping...
turkey_day_gifts_003.jpg

...Since it was "small business Saturday", I did my best to spread the love...I got my high amp alt rebuilt locally in 3 hours for $75 with a warranty...They also repainted it from the blue to a light grey color to better match the truck...:biggthump
turkey_day_gifts_004.jpg

Nice, what mom and pop shop did you go to?

...Pm sent...:biggthump

...Now I'm off to start a new set of projects for the Ranger...:hammer:

...Nothing new on my X as I have been spending my time on the Ranger...:confused:

...I do like the fact that I can leave the X parked for 2-5 weeks and never have a battery starting problem...The Optimas have been good for me...:biggthump

...I just bought 1 of 2 new YellowTop Optima's for the Ranger and included some info on care and charging of them here...;)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304566

Smog Test Only Day...

...It's that time again..I spent this morning hosing off the X as it was dusty as heck from sitting so long...Next I had to start digging thru my stuff to find where I put the stock filter top and filter at 2 years ago....:confused:

...I found a Test Only Station in Fullerton and with their coupon, the smog test only fee, evap test, and certification fee totaled $50...and yes, she passed...:biggthump

...Now I need to start saving for the $70 registration fee :rolleyes: but that's not due for a couple months..

...I did get kind of nervous at the bounce my truck had on the 15 mph test with the KM'2's...When I heard the motor get goosed up to the 25 mph test I was :eek: But the tires and suspension settled right down at that speed...:dunno:

..Does anybody have the p/n # for the first gen door switch for the lights??

..When I was at King of the Hammers, my front drivers side switch mechanism went out and I can't find a thread with the p/n...:(

Torrie M. at FastPartsNetwork.com should be able to help you.

...I'll check into that when I get home..:)

..I just noticed your post..

..Thanks for adding that and I'll look into it..:biggthump

...Rattle can paint is fading and the hood and cowl are finally starting to loose the clear coat..Since I have to put it to work tomorrow hauling a trailer and I had nothing better to do today, I took it down to the self serve car wash and hosed her down..

...Started cleaning the bumpers mud off and wound up getting the chrome cleaner out to try and get rid of the rust from the rock salt, ocean, and everything else..It's a start but I do need to pull the wheels and do a good cleaning...

.."You ain't cool if your chrome don't shine"..:D
0501111420.jpg

...My other big concern is, it's been pinging only sometimes on highway hill climps and yesterday it had a small, one time misfire..I took it to two of my buddies shops and they both let me use their hi-tech scan tools...Project X came back with zero codes KOEO and KOER...

..Apparently it's still happening..:D

..Took it for a highway drive, 90* out and with 3/4 tank of gas..Pinged most of the way there when giving a little more throttle on light load and entering on freeway..I did notice the temp gauge was on the cold side and never moved..

..Installed new MAF a couple months back..The odd thing is, the return trip back it never pinged and I tried to get it to happen while the gauge was still on the cold side but a hair warmer..:scratch:..Thinking perhaps a stuck open t-stat now and possibly a fuel pump or FPR going bad? Will look into it further at a later date..:(

...Picked up a rear hitch for the Project X today from Mounty71 ..Thanks Matt..:biggthump

Back