TDS 2016 Anyone?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TDS 2016 Anyone??

Envious, that looks so peaceful.

At least Mike's breakage didn't lead to worse things along the road.:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This Mesa should be our new Truckhaven spot. It's filling up down below, but no one is camping up here yet. I think the grade up here intimidates RV drivers, but it's not difficult. Some off roaders drove past, but it's still early and I am sure that will increase as the weekend progresses. No worst music from the 80's, 90's and Mexico within ear shot, also a plus. Directly above the arches area. Softer ground for tents.

So Zukman, what's holding you up?

Filling up below. Still no one up on the Mesa with us. Drove to the event area today while they were setting up. Nobody noticed us there, so we drove through the vendor area. Nobody seemed to notice a SAS Explorer in their off limits to vehicles area so we drove around some more. Got bored and wheeled a little. There are RV's parked on the beach of the Saltin Sea. It stinks bad down there.

Sitting around this.

ForumRunner_20160303_221147.jpg

Forgot to post these pics. We spent a few hours critiquing groups driving ability, then sunset.

ForumRunner_20160303_221536.jpg

ForumRunner_20160303_221553.jpg

Was there a good turn out of vendors?

That view is really deceiving. Without the benefit of 3D it looks like flat desert all the way across.

The vendors were still setting up, and we haven't gone back. There is still not as many rigs as expected, but the area off Marina Drive is fairly crowded.

Carnage report:

One of our old buddies came out with his short arm kit TJ. I Led off on a afternoon run. I went through the arch, and some twisty stuff and asked if he was okay. He replied that if I didn't get stuck, neither would he. Challenge accepted! First, I took him over behind the waterfall. Tight canyon with a few big and loose rocks. I was driving with one rock under each front tire, when the right side rock slid under the axle. After I got through, I stopped to see what the rock landed on. Slightly bowed my tie rod. Still drives fine, so I will deal with it when I get back. Surprised that 1/4" wall tubing bent so easily. Have a buddy who can press it straight, then maybe I can pound a 3/4" OD piece of chromoly through it.

Next, went behind phone booth hill, and dropped into a very tight and twisty canyon. Did not get to the good part before he calls on the CB, no brakes. Popped the driver side front brake line at the fitting. Wife is coming out in the morning with my ferrel kit, so should have it back on the trail soon.

Now, it got windy........

Sounds like a good time. Glad you are getting some wheeling in:burnout:

Sounds like your haveing a nice relaxing time! We had an issue here involving several trees that were standing they are all laying on the ground now! Its now a 7 high by 20 wide by 30 long slash pile plus enough tree of heaven to construct at least 3 teepees!

Back home. Night run on Friday, our friend Brian tore the right rear fender flare off his TJ. It was on the north side of the Waterfall, coming down. I told him to turn into the curve, he didn't. Tire dropped off lip and off came the flare.

Wind kicked up Saturday afternoon and only got worse. Saturday night, I parked as close as I felt comfortable, and everyone else walked to the parking lot that was where we normally call the ditches. They were back within 30 minutes, got tired of tripping over beer bottles and sucking dust.

Wind all night, got worse Sunday. Took a short run, found that tight canyon. It was about two feet deeper than last time, with hard sandstone lining both sides. Guy behind me asked if I was trying to roll, but it didn't feel that bad from drivers seat.

Left about noon. Heavy gusts, and sand reduced visibility a few times to where we slowed to a crawl. Rain in the mountains. I will post some more pics later.

Thanks for continuing to post, even though you were the only one there, Brian! I've been following along and reminiscing. ;)

If all Truckhaven Peep's agree, the Mesa will be our new camp site. Even with TDS event about a mile away, it was not too bad. Got a 40' pusher up there, so it should be doable for any RV.

More carnage on the way home:
Mike Kelley's RV lost the driver side mirror, a vent cover, and his freshly painted storage doors got sand blasted. His TJ's soft top came apart too.

thanks for continuing to post, even though you were the only one there, brian! I've been following along and reminiscing. ;)

x3...:)

Was thinking of you guys as we we're in Death Valley dealing with the same wind. Luckily not in a tent:D

More carnage on the way home:
Mike Kelley's RV lost the driver side mirror, a vent cover, and his freshly painted storage doors got sand blasted. His TJ's soft top came apart too.

Dang, the travel Gods were not with Mike this weekend:eek:

Back