The 4.0 Swap was chump change compared to this - Look inside... | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The 4.0 Swap was chump change compared to this - Look inside...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

or a 10.25, better rear end, it has larger bearings. you just need to find me a d60 to match.

bolted the cases together, need to grind the plate and doubler case for driveshaft clearance, getting closer and closer though. I got the planetary ground out enough that I can get all the bolts tightened as well, makes it a whole lot easier.

Might have this already, but shows some good pics of a doubler build including detailed linkage shots. http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107049

lol that thread has been on the browser on my phone for like 2 weeks, I like the linkage he did but I want my linkage for the doubler to lock into place, a few people have expressed that the doubler case may pop out of gear by itself which is something I def want to avoid. thats an awesome write up on the doubler build though if anyone is intereseted thats a good one to read.

Im drilling and tapping the drain hole for the doubler box today, after I get it cleaned out I can assemble dry and partially install, that way I can check for clearance and measure for my driveshafts. also I can get an idea of where my crossmembers are going to go, im building them out of 1/4"x4" plate that I picked up yesterday, along with a stick of 1 1/2" .120 wall tube, that should get me going on the cage after the doubler is in.

heads up if you don't pay attention and have your tcase in 4low when you go to put your doubler together things like this happen;

84fd87a3.jpg

At first I thought you posted a pic from another site showing what could happen...then your recognizable work table entered the picture.

In the words of Sylvester the Cat...It looks like "The Coop-D-Gracy" for the case?
Or is it an easy fix with another outer case section?
Just a thought...Have more money taken out of pay each week in the form of deductions or what ever. Then the whole of this year work on the D44 using a 1354 case or even a 1350 which is stronger then most people think. Might even be able to wheel it some this year.
Then next year buy an Atlas with the saved money and never look back.

Now let's get back on topic...Heath what kind of necklace are you wearing? Reminds me back in my toilet hugging drunk days of using Pop-a-top beer tabs and making making chains that would circle the globe a few times.

Now let's get back on topic...Heath what kind of necklace are you wearing? Reminds me back in my toilet hugging drunk days of using Pop-a-top beer tabs and making making chains that would circle the globe a few times.

Are you talking about my avitar? We were at a luau in Hawaii, I think it was a shell necklace or something that they put on me when I walked in.

I would have thought you were pretty gay if I hadn't seen similar pictures at your house or something, gotta make people wonder wtf is going on with that necklace haha.

Rick an atlass would be cool, but for that amnt of money I would get arb's for the front and rear, and I don't think I could get enough reduction out of one, with only 3.73's in my axles I need all the help I can get. the first gear in the trans is only like 3.4:1 or something stupid like that.

so for the reason behind why that happened, I had assembled the doubler unit with the front box, plate and doubler shaft, the next step is to install the planetary set from the rear case onto the plate with the bolts to mount the tcase to its planetary installed on it, here is a pic
1e5fb0b6.jpg

im pointing to the bolts that bolt the case to the planetary set that is pre-installed on the plate. now here is the critical mistake I made, there is a the selector gear that is inside the case and meshes into the planetary set when you put it together, my mistake was where the gear was set as I put it together, when I last had the case fully assembled I assembled it in 2h, and then switched through the gears to make sure everything was functioning, but I left it in 4L when I took it back apart. When I started putting it back since it was in 4l it was all the way back, bk of that I could install the planetary onto the case and start the bolts without it being aligned and the gear engaged. so I think what happened was as I tightened the bolts the selector gear didn't go into the planetary, instead it pushed against the planetary, I was using a short 15mm wrench, it was a little hard to turn but the bolts had looked kind of dirty and I figured id clean them off when i took the case back apart for final assembly, it took almost no pressure and then PING, and I saw the back of the case had a huge crack in it.

so thats that, the good news is I think the rear part of the 1350 case is going to fit, the bolts all line up and the bearing for the front output and the place for the shifter lever are the same, I need to measure for the bearing and seal on the rear output but I assume they are the same. I had to pull it out of the junk pile at my dads house bk I thought I would never need it haha. goes to show its good to hold onto things sometime.

cd2b2254.jpg

Might just work. Is that a 1354 on left that has the reinforced webbing around where the lower shaft goes out?

Yeah thats the 1354 case on the left, im sure its a by stronger, but beggars cant be choosers. Im just glad i have some kind of option, bk without that part i wouldnt have had a tcase at all

back on track

2705af77.jpg

2181ebfe.jpg

FYI for anyone that needs to know the back half of the 1350 will fit on the 1354, and besides the weird balancer weight thingy and the webbing around the output they are exactly the same. glad I didn't totally screw myself over.

I need to pre-install the doubler in the rig and see if the plate clears the floor plan, if all is well and everything clears I can pull the case back out and rtv and fill with atf and install for good. Im thinking about while it is preinstalled figuring out my rear crossmember, in case I decide to weld the mount to the plate. I want to do a flat belly skid plate out of 3/16" plate, in order to do that the bushing needs to be on the tcase with the plate mounted to the crossmember.

Is it done yet?

btw I know you just want me to take a look at that big yellow pile, go out there and do some investigatin, it was damn warm today.

Anymore Carnage?

Sure you wait until 11:16 at night to bring that to my attention!!! I don't recommend stopping by today, everyone at my house is sick...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anymore Carnage?

nah haven't worked on it since I put the tcase back together, im def relieved that 1350 case worked on it, that would have suuuuucked. I want to get this thing in there so I can start on the boatsides and cage, Eric has a suburban that is going to be a major amnt of work and I won't have shop space at his place when that starts going down, so I need to get my ass in gear.

Back