The 4.0 Swap was chump change compared to this - Look inside... | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The 4.0 Swap was chump change compared to this - Look inside...

ok so I tried to pre-install the doubler today, the exhaust I just made is in the way, as is the plate, started trimming it down, but im going through cut off wheels like **** through a goose. So im going to wait until my old man is home and go use the torch, went through 10$ worth of cut off disks in like 15 minutes, not going to cut it in my book. also trying to figure out how my shifters are going to work on here, Im thinking about making them non locking but i need to find out if they will stay in gear if I do that. I know the problem will be 4hi, there isn't a detent in the internal shifter between 4hi and neutral I think, so im worried it will pop into neutral all the time. we shall see I guess.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

25a10039.jpg

96e437ac.jpg

trimmed up the plate on the top and sides, im going to leave the bottom until I figure out how im going to attach the crossmember to it. prob 2 threaded holes in the plate that ill attach a peice of 1/4" plate welded to a bushing, then make the crossmember bolt through the bushing, if that explanation makes any sense, that in conjunction with the front crossmember should fix it up just right.

yeah everyone will want a plate that all the holes are in the wrong place and had to be drilled out bigger bk I can't measure right. besides the biggest part of building one of these is the shaft, and I wouldn't commercially produce a 2 piece shaft, even if I could do it myself. I'm by no means an expert with regards to this doubler, I'm just muddling my way through it and hoping I don't screw it up to the point it doesn't work. I will say I wish I had made this plate out of aluminum, the doubler with the plate on it weighs probably 10lbs more than the whole rear case does, just flat heavy.

I pm'ed the guy on trs that did the doubler that Rick C. posted on here a bit ago. he says he shimmed the shifters just enough that they have tension on them, he says he has never had them pop out of gear, guess ill do a modified version of his shifters then. one of his shifters has the fulcrum below the attachment point of the linkage, that means that when he is in double low his shifters are opposite, one all the way forward and the other all the way back, I'm going to make both of my shifters have the attachment point for the linkage above the fulcrum, that way they will be both all the way back for high and all the way forward for low. then custom made by me knobs to make it cool.

Now that's the right way to do it.

I've got a couple dirt bike pistons that I think would make cool shift knobs. and I can get the dremel out and engrave the shift pattern in there, should be pretty fun.

Yeah dude kinda the whole point of what i just said, i was talking about my tcase shifters and then mentioned the pistons as knobs...

no the stock bII shifter will stay in as long as I have a manual in there. it makes it still feel like driving the bII the day I brought it home, cool feeling bk its the same rig but it has changed A LOT.

I was going to use stock shift knobs and try to make it a factory looking install but im certain now that that isn't going to happen, im going to need to cut a big hole in the floor and the shift pattern will be different. oh well no big deal.

I finally got the doubler into the rig, (with some persuasion from mr 3 and mr 8lb sledge), I marked the plate for the bottom of the frame rails, looks like its not quite going to be a flat bottom like I was hoping, it sticks down about 2", but thats ok I have some 3/16" plate avail to me that ill make a skidplate out of to protect my cases, probably extend it up under the trans as well. im making the crossmembers out of 1/4" plate.

I also did the final cutting and grinding of the doubler plate itself, I left a spot for my cross member to bolt up, I plan on welding a tab to the tube for the poly bushing that bolts to the 2 holes ill drill in the plate, then the cross member will have 2 tabs to bolt the busing to, then the cross member bolts to the frame rails.

FWIW Just make sure there is some kind of play in the transfer case mount.
I contacted AA about securing the Atlas and they said "Do not attach anything to the case". Worried about the case fracturing.
I'm still thinking of some kind of poly bushing (wide to displace energy) that is mounted on both sides of the Atlas, but with no bolts. Have the bushings mounted on steel supports that are attached to frame and pushed directly against the case. Both sides cause of reverse.

yeah I don't want to attach anything to the aluminum case itself, but by attaching it to the doubler plate I think I'm going to be ok, should hold the tcase from moving under torque load pretty effectively. I've seen people attach cmembers to the back of the case where that weight thing mounts, but I thought I saw something where it had broken the back of the case out. I can't just rely on the stock cmember, that thing was twisting in low just with the regular tcase and the 4.0, hopefully I can rein all that in. Here is a pic of the finished plate, just need to drill 2 holes and paint it,

191aed3b.jpg

ive come to a realization that the big ass muffler I bought is probably not going to fit, no big deal ill put it on the pickup which really really needs a muffler and get some kind of glasspack or smaller muffler.

Well its the red headed stepchild of my vehicles so it can wish it had a muffler. I looked on youtube and these 4.0s sounds better with a glasspack than with the flowmasters everyone puts on them imo

ive come to a realization that the big ass muffler I bought just won't fit.

ruler.png

On the bottom of the rule.
Example: Between the 1 and the 2 there are little vertical marks, just count how many little marks there are.

Might want to print that out.
ha ha I just could not resist :salute:

You do know that I will never ever after this post admit to messing up a measurment.

lol zing, you got me, I didn't think id have much of a problem fitting it in and I probably could make it work, but my old man gave me a cherry bomb today, and I think they sound cool on these 4.0s. Better than the flowmasters everyone puts on there, and my pickup really needs a new muffler, its painful to listen to honestly.

drilled the holes for the mount and painted the plate today, here is a pic,

ab9ec1b0.jpg

yes it is very orange haha, its the colore Eric had laying around, wonder why...

southdakota4.jpg

yes thats horton when it still had a cab, and thats the waterfall on hal johns trail, the "buggy" line haha

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back