The 4.0 Swap was chump change compared to this - Look inside... | Page 36 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The 4.0 Swap was chump change compared to this - Look inside...

I bet it did turn some heads. Nice flex, I like the way the front axle was articulated and both rear tires were on the ground. Now for some real action shots.

Saturday buddy, I will get some, come hell or high water haha. thats about as much up travel as I can get before I rub in the front, I have some timbren bumpstops at the shop for it but they will probably have to wait. Im blown away how well the back is starting to flex, the front being so flexy it is getting a workout and its breaking the rear leafs in. Or breaking the shackles loose of their rusted purgatory haha, I think its time I go get some 3/8" and make some new shackles.

another serious concern is my rear driveshaft, its not going to handle running for to long, the angle on the shaft is just to much, we are clearancing the yokes and that should be ok, but I think at some point it is going to overcome the 1310 ujoints. looks like I need to find another explorer front driveshaft or some other 1310 cv yoke and a 1354 front yoke, then I can run a cv shaft, should eliminate a lot of my problems. the front driveshaft looks great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what does everyone think about trading my brother his sx's for my krawlers? ive got a thing for swampers haha

That's some nice flex!

I was looking at your interior pics and noticed a lack of roll bar. How bad is the upper body flex? I'm thinking of going doorless this summer but I'm concerned about how much the body will flop around without the doors.

if you look at the sliders I did they are welded to the body so Im solid mounted to my frame. can't say for sure how your would react but I think you would be fine bk you still have your top, its not like you have a unibody rig. it does sound like an oil can with my roof like that but like I said you won't have that problem. Rick would be the best person to ask bk I think he might still be running actual body mounts.

I have a pile of 1 3/4" tubing sitting at the shop waiting to be made into a pretty *****in cage, but it won't get done before wheeling on saturday lol.

I bet it did turn some heads. Nice flex, I like the way the front axle was articulated and both rear tires were on the ground. Now for some real action shots.

Real action shots coming soon to a computer near you :D

It did turn some heads when I was towing it home too, had 2 guys that were pointing and talking about it. Looked like a pretty serious discussion to me. I was actually surprised they didn't turn around and follow me home

That's some nice flex!

I was looking at your interior pics and noticed a lack of roll bar. How bad is the upper body flex? I'm thinking of going doorless this summer but I'm concerned about how much the body will flop around without the doors.

The roof is your main structure. Doors are not really part of the structure.

Yep, it's when you dice the top (roof) when they start sagging once the flexing begins.
I've seen pictures where they look like a sway back horse, unless they are reinforced by the cage. No brag but the way I have the cage penetrating the rear bulkhead and sandwiching the floor with the cage and then to frame there is zero sag.
Think of it like what started off as a fine set of young firm ***** that have not been supported properly. Over time, gravity and the effect of vertical bounce they will inevitably start to sag.

Last edited:

Think of it like what started off as a fine set of young firm ***** that have not been supported properly. Over time, gravity and the effect of vertical bounce they will inevitably start to sag.

hahahaha you sir are a dirty old man

got the shifters done, they both look like sh%t and work great, on to the next problem, crossmember and skidplate.

they actually don't look to bad, here they are installed in the rig,

02b58649.jpg

any clue what we are doing here?

e995b22a.jpg

new press brake from swag offroad, this thing is quality and one of the 3 coolest tools in Erics garage, making a little support for my engine and tcase.

968513d4.jpg

2f7baad0.jpg

needs gussets but it fits in there pretty dang good. I was a little skeptical when Eric bought the brake but man it worth its weight in gold now in my mind.

OMG that thing looks awesome in there Jon... Almost like it was made for that rig or something! :mattmoon:

OMG that thing looks awesome in there Jon... Almost like it was made for that rig or something! :mattmoon:

it looks pretty clean, I think we could do better but it was our first time on the press brake. future stuff made with it will just get better and better.

new press brake from swag offroad, this thing is quality and one of the 3 coolest tools in Erics garage, making a little support for my engine and tcase.

What are the other two, tube bender and parts washer??????

What are the other two, tube bender and parts washer??????

ive got a love hate relationship with that parts washer so not that. I'd say tube bender, press brake, clamshell bearing puller.

Sitting at the trailhead to blacks, our local hardcore trail, in the bdos. Its gonna be a good day

Oh man get some pics!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:popcorn: The suspense is killing me. Ok, you got us going, now spill the beans. Must be thinking how he can break the news? Maybe should not have used that word "break".

Last edited:

Back