The 4.0 Swap was chump change compared to this - Look inside... | Page 41 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The 4.0 Swap was chump change compared to this - Look inside...

So what did your dad think of the monster that you've built?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my dad wouldn't keep his foot off the damn gas when I let him drive it, the thing crawls man just give it a chance, here are some pics, not all are me driving.

dad.jpg

dad5.jpg

dad5.jpg

me.jpg

dad2.jpg

dad3.jpg

lol thanks Heath, now the bad. I have a fuel delivery issue as well as a cooling issue. I need to get a 4 row rad from an explorer and look into possibly the lift pump in the tank. it quit on my dad right after the 3 picture there,(they aren't in order btw). then on the dirt road out it flat out quit on me, pretty much the same issue I was getting with the 2.9l. and since ive changed out a lot of the components I think I can rule out a lot of stuff. fuel system and some of the electrical is all I can think it could be.

If I'm remembering this wrong then please excuse my memory, I'm old... Isn't this really only happening to you on hotter days or when the engine is getting hot. Do you think it could be vapor lock?

well I had the prob when I was up at websters in the winter, so I'm not sure that's the problem, it seems to happen most when I'm on a hill, but not always. I suppose the in tank pump could be running incorrectly and causing a vapor lock between it and the pump on the rail. the reason you have an in tank fuel pump on a fuel injected engine is to pressurize the system and prevent vapor lock from happening. its a pretty annoying problem, and the crappy thing is I won't be sure I've ever truly fixed it.

Nice pics. How about a coil issue?

We thought of that too, bk the problem is similar, although less severe than the problem i was having with the 2.9 I'm going to look at things that are left over from the swap. But you are right it could be a heat related coil or other electrical problem.

Just to put this in perspective a bit.

Jons rig walked a part of the trail that has stopped several jeeps and toyotas with bigger tires than him. All of them just one locker.

If we were up there with a large group I am pretty sure that alot of folks would think he had a front locker. If you can wheel like that with just a rear locker it means that Jon built the thing right.

Hopefully all the problems can be worked out sooner than later cause it really really does work very well.

thanks man I thought it wheeled pretty darn good, the suspension works well and it has enough gearing to let it crawl. It's to bad you weren't there when it was running good, it rocked the filter and the 2 next obstacle. gotta have a little troubleshooting session, my buddy Jimbo is gonna bring his scanner over so we can get pointed in the right direction. I'm still thinking it has to be in the fuel system. Rockauto has a carter in tank pump and strainer for 43$, my uncle who I got the bdos from replaced the high pressure pump before i got the rig, of course that doesn't prove anything.

I'm going to eliminate most of my fuel system and go with a single high pressure pump in tank, possibly a mustang unit, line up to a filter, filter to fp regulator, through the fuel rail and then line back to the tank, eliminate the on rail pump and the condensor thing that comes with having 2 pumps. I've got to get rid of this stock bdos crap, its questionable in my mind so I want to eliminate it as a potential problem. think im gonna get a thicker rad too, might also wire in an electric fan.

i'm going out to the garage in a few hrs to cut a big hole in the floor of the bdos. I realized that before I get all crazy and replace the entire fuel system I need to see whats going on in the tank. my uncle replaced the hp pump on the frame rail but he told me he didn't want to pull the tank so he never messed with the in tank pump.

ok there was a little junk floating around in there but nothing to be alarmed about. I accidentally ripped the strainer while I was taking the pump off so I figured I would at least need to get one of those. here is the big one though, when I pulled the pump off and had it by itself I jumpered it to a battery, the fuel pump flat out will not come on. all I have is a positive and a negative side so I'm sure that if it was indeed a good pump it would come on with 12v applied to it, since it does not I am assuming that it is bad and replacing it, already ordered the new carter fp kit. now I need to figure out what to do with this gaping hole in the floor of the bdos, pics to come haha.

Toss in a match and run... That will fix the problem of what to do with the big hole!!!

DAMMIT... I've been out :popcorn: on the porch all day waiting for the show to start...

DAMMIT... I've been out :popcorn: on the porch all day waiting for the show to start...

F you are retarded.

here is the tank, little bit of crap floating around in there but not to bad,

2ea67e25.jpg

here is the sending unit, looks like my fp will be here on tuesday,

6a8d2f6b.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

fp should be here tomorrow with the mail. excited to see how it runs.

Back