for access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

The best brand of windshield wipers????

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by LSW1, January 31, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. LSW1

LSW1 New Member

City, State:
      Georgia
      Year and Model:
      1999 XLT
      Ok, you guys were the best when it came to helping me with my 'ghost wipers'. Because of all the advise I got, they are still working great !! Now I want to get the best brand of wipers for my 1999 Explorer.

As you know, there are tons of wipers on the market. My wipers are missing large areas of windshield. Especially the one on the driving side and rear window.

What is the best brand to buy? Should I replace the whole assembly or just the blade? I have never replaced them myself so are there any videos or picture instructions on how to do it?

Thanks all.
      Linda ;)

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Electrohacker

Electrohacker Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Clinton Twp, MI
      Year and Model:
      '96 XLT V8 4WD
      the wiper blades are simple compared to the multifunction switch you just fixed.

I like bosh or anco wipers, bosh are expensive and anco are cheap ($4.50 per blade)

bosh are in every auto store and anco used to be everywhere but lately ive only found them at walmart.

yes you want the whole frame as corrosion or damage to you old frames could be causeing some of your issues.

the blades on the fron of a second gen are size 18 and come off by pressing a very obvious tab then pulling down toward the wiper arm

the rear's on a 95-97 are 14 but i have found 15 to work too, these you pull the tab outward and wiglle like mad pulling up till it pops off

be aware some blades are not made with the hole needed for the rear and i always buy the higher end all weather blades from anco for the rear, they last a little longer

if you have a different model year check your sizes

if you still have problems we'll talk about ways to address the wiper arms

4. davidhicks16

davidhicks16 Active Member

City, State:
      oreana il
      Year and Model:
      94 xlt
      DO NOT USE ANCO CONTOURS!! I put them on my 94 in October by December they were junk. I would say a Bosh icon is your best bet.

5. coppe

coppe Active Member

Year and Model:
      01 xls v6 SOHC
      i have got bosh excell and i really like them, quiet, quick, even cleaning, etc. Of course i usually clean with isopropilic alcohol and use rain-x my windshield like every 2 months, andevery time i wash the X i clean the blades delicately with the microfiber cloth i use to soap up the x.

i´ve used michelin ones with great results also, but the frame kindda dulls fast with the sun.

Both brands have lasted lots on my cars, but then again, i have no snow and no desert weather.

6. Electrohacker

City, State:
      Clinton Twp, MI
      Year and Model:
      '96 XLT V8 4WD
      i wasnt referring to contours, in fact i have had any good result from the newer style low profile wipers

7. section525

section525 sextion525 Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Red Bluff, Ca
      Year and Model:
      1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
      I put the Bosch something or others on my superduty. They were on the expensive side ($60-$70) but well worth it. The best wipers I've had.

8. toypaseo

toypaseo Flunked daycare Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      outside shovelling snow
      Year and Model:
      ................ 96 XLT ™
      My rear wiper before...

[​IMG]

My rear wiper after removing it, soaking it in my sink in hot soapy water, rinsing the two joints throughly, letting dry, spraying the two joints with PB Blaster, and reinstallation...

[​IMG]

9. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Elite Explorer

Year and Model:
      07 Camry
      Yep- the rears do crust up... Also in the summer, clean your windshield once in a while with Bon Ami (yes, the kitchen cleanser) as it is non-abraisive, and it cleans all of the grime and junk off the window and keeps everything working well. I find that the Bon Ami once in a while and Rain-X windshield washer solvent works as good as Rain-X for me. Just my .02

I run either Bosch (the only Bosch part that touches my Ex!) or the Anco's. I've never had particularly good luck with the one piece contoured wipers. The Ex seems to be a little too upright, and they flap around a lot, at least on my truck, and I am running the stock 18" size.

10. Electrohacker

City, State:
      Clinton Twp, MI
      Year and Model:
      '96 XLT V8 4WD
      i was getting odd streaks one and tried every cleaner known to man, even acetone

my dad suggested putting a cup of ammonia in the wiper fluid (dont do this in the winter) and it cleared the problem right up, we suspect rainx caused the problem

11. thumper477

thumper477 New Member

City, State:
      Telford,Tn
      Year and Model:
      1997 5.0 AWD XLT
      I have used the Bosch Icons on all my vehicles since 2006.They last a long time and work great.

12. Axial32

Axial32 Active Member

City, State:
      Zeeland, Michigan
      Year and Model:
      1997 2dr. V8 Sport
      The best two i've used were the Bosch Icons or the Rain-X latitudes.....they look and act the same.

13. LSW1

LSW1 New Member

City, State:
      Georgia
      Year and Model:
      1999 XLT
      WOW !!! See you guys are just the best !!! I knew I just had to ask. My back one is really worse than yours was, Toypaseo. It is really bad. I can stand a bad wiper unless it is the back one and the driver's side. My driver's side is leaving a streak un-wiped about 7 inches wide right in the middle of the my view.

I will try washing off the back one before I buy one for it. I don't use it that much but sometimes during rain the mud flies up and covers it so it is probably really grimed up !!

I had actually looked at the bosh online and read all the reviews. The reviews were pretty good. I don't drive my 'baby' a lot. I work at home full time so errands here and there are all it gets. But when it is raining, I am stuck at home because the wipers are so bad.

So thanks again guys !!! Saved me again !!!

Linda

14. Electrohacker

City, State:
      Clinton Twp, MI
      Year and Model:
      '96 XLT V8 4WD
      over time the springs in the arms can lose tension

when this happens there are two realistic ways of dealing with it and one way out there way I used, lol

1 replace the arm (new or used, $30 from the dealer for the front two)
      2 bend the arm toward the window to add tension

and really out there
      3 shorten the spring (I made one arm for winter use in the UP where the blade flew off the windshield constantly)

15. fishwish3

fishwish3 Active Member

City, State:
      northampton,PA
      Year and Model:
      2001 explorer sport 4X4
      i use 17 inch latitudes on my explorer and had no problem, my only question is how can i remove rain-x off of the windshield to make the water sheet, not bead?

16. Electrohacker

City, State:
      Clinton Twp, MI
      Year and Model:
      '96 XLT V8 4WD
      ammonia

17. fishwish3

fishwish3 Active Member

City, State:
      northampton,PA
      Year and Model:
      2001 explorer sport 4X4
      do i wipe it on or put it in the washer fluid?

18. Electrohacker

City, State:
      Clinton Twp, MI
      Year and Model:
      '96 XLT V8 4WD
      I would wipe it in the winter as it might raise the freezing point of your washer fluid

19. BK_89iX

BK_89iX Active Member

City, State:
      CA
      Year and Model:
      '97 SOHC
      I once dumped the remainder of a Windex bottle (basically ammonia) into a washer tank. Seemed like a good idea at the time. The change in pH produced quite a lot of solid preciptates from the dyes and detergents, which clogged up the works! Spray or wipe on is the way to go here....

BK

20. fishwish3

fishwish3 Active Member

City, State:
      northampton,PA
      Year and Model:
      2001 explorer sport 4X4
      its funny because i did that once too and it worked great but still did not get rid of the rain-x. i dont know if its different removal but i used the rain-x washer fluid.

21. knb416

knb416 New Member

City, State:
      Calhoun, KY
      Year and Model:
      1994 XLT
      I like Michelin Radius wiper blades....about $12 each at Wal-Mart.

22. gijoecam

gijoecam Village Idiot Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Trenton, MI
      Year and Model:
      98 ExSport, '00 F-150
      Let me preface this by saying I'm EXTREMELY picky about my wiper blades. I HATE blades that don't wipe clean every time. Back in the day, I used to replace them at least every 6 months, and usually more often because they were worn out and had taken a 'park set'.

That being said, I haven't changed my wiper blades on either truck in 10 years. I spent the extra money and bought SilBlades (www.silblade.com, also available through JC Whitney). I've NEVER had a better wiper blade in my life. In the wintertime, about every third or fourth fill-up I wipe down the edge, and in the summertime, I forget about 'em. When I bought mine, they came with a 10 year guarantee that I thought for sure I would have to put to good use... I was wrong.

As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing better out on the market.

23. scottnh1970

scottnh1970 Member

City, State:
      Maryland
      Year and Model:
      1998 XLT V8

Which ones do you use?

24. syst3merror

syst3merror New Member

City, State:
      New Castle, IN
      Year and Model:
      2005 Ford Explorer XLT
      I'm curious about this too because I see they have 3 different kinds: Silblade, Flexblade, and Ultra Silblade.....

25. gijoecam

gijoecam Village Idiot Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Trenton, MI
      Year and Model:
      98 ExSport, '00 F-150
      When I purchased mine, they made nothing but the SilBlades and 'Premium' Silblades (same as the standard ones, but painted different colors with different colored wiping edges, but the same material). If the newer style FlexBlades are half as good as their original Silblades, I'd certainly recommend them too. I would expect they would be a little more resistant to ice accumulating on them if you live in the snow belt, but they would work fine. I couldn't have been happier with my regular silblades though.

Also, when I bought mine, they made no mention of leaving any film behind. That may be a new feature on the current ones... It's been a long time since I looked for wiper blades, so I'm not sure what else is out there and what their current models are like. I've always run Rain-X washer solvent in my vehicles, so that may help with the effectiveness of the blades as well, in a similar way that their additives may. All I know is these are, by far, the best blades I've ever put on a car or truck.

Oh, and the frames on mine have started rusting... They're no longer as pretty as they used to be, but they still function as good as the day I put them on. I've been tempted to buy a new set, and throw the old ones in a box to send them back with a 'thank you' note just to see what they have to say.

26. LSW1

LSW1 New Member

City, State:
      Georgia
      Year and Model:
      1999 XLT
      Ok you wonderful guys out there !! I received my new Bosch wipers today. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get them on since it is supposed to be raining the next three days here and I have a lot of errands to run.

I will figure it out....I hope !!!

Will let you know !!!
      Linda