Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

The Black Hole

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer Registry' started by gmanpaint, April 3, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. gmanpaint

gmanpaint Torsion Bar Free Elite Explorer

City, State:
      STL MO
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Shared these on the thread that Turdle made, but I want one of them here too. Ahead of me is Traveler, and in front of him is Turdle. I like this video as it shows the 12k+ elevation, the clouds & rains in the back ground, and shows some shelf roads with switchbacks at high up.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Turdle

Turdle I bake stuff Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
    4. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Very cool videos, several in a row. That's an adventure on those narrow paths, and I hope that ARB locker earns its keep soon, next time.

5. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Couple videos of the test hit done at an off road park before the CO trip. This was testing the 2wd low range to see what can & can't be done. Never had an issue in 2wd low only.

6. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Ahh snap!

My pointer finger just hit a submit order button... Again! :sawzall:
      :burnout:

• Like Like x 1
    7. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      A year or so ago, I installed a brand new set of 35" MTR's, and they have never balanced correctly.

Bought them from 4wd Hardware. After they shipped, I took them into a well know local tire chain for mounting and balancing.

They used a road force machine that helps get the tire matched to the wheel as close as possible weight wise, before adding static weights.
      Tech says he can't get them balanced at all. Said he got them as close as he can, and 2 are worse then the others. We put the worse on the back of the rig.

Test ride it, and no way, nuh uh, na ga do it. So thinking is the wheels are bad, as the last set didn't balance well either. I get a new set of wheels a couple weeks before a cross country trip to Moab. They swap them out, and still had the same issue. We threw in 8 oz of Dynabeads in each tire, and had to call it good, as I ran out of time. Rig was on a trailer for this trip, and this didn't matter for the trails out there.

Fast forward a year.....

Another trip to CO is coming up, and these tires start to shake at 60 mph. these won't work, as this time, I'm not using a trailer. 2 days travel one way at 75 mph. Had to take them off, and run a set of BFG AT's that are balanced well.

I decided this isn't going to work with these expensive tires that ride like crap on the HWY, at speed. So I hear all the talk about the tire size and wheel size, and how it is common place for this to happen. Well, I don't accept that one bit. I have ran other tires the same size and no issues. I just came back from a 2000 mile trip on the same size with no issues.

I find out after some research, that when this has happened to others with these MTR's, they had luck with Goodyear service. They kept on sending tires, until they balanced. I have a 6 year full replacement warranty on these. They prorate after 1 yr, but it is minimal. I have about 1000 miles on these tires, and they look brand new still.

I contact Goodyear, and they send me a file #. Then instruct me to take it to an authorized Goodyear dealer. As luck would have it, the original installer is not. I find a shop, make an apt, and bring the rig in. They tell me they can't get to it yet, and it will be a long wait. Then tell me they want $35/ea to even look at them. WTF? So I ask why. They said they have to remove the beads first, then test them on the balance machine. I tell them I will handle it, and bring the tires back loose.

I had the original shop remove the beads for $40, drop the loose wheels off at the dealer. 2 days go by, and I call them. They said they got them to balance, and come pick them up. Hmm....

So I get there, and look at them. They put more static stick on weights on a wheel, then I have ever seen before. I am not happy. I take them and leave, telling them I will test them out. If they still ride bad, I will return, and expect new tires from Goodyear.

So here is what they did. (Wheels are a mess from the last couple outings)

3.75 oz
      3.5 oz.jpg

5.5 oz
      5.5 oz.jpg

7.75 oz
      7.75 oz.jpg

10.5 oz
      10.5 oz.jpg

Put the two with most weight on the back, and took it for a test ride, and it did ride fine at 70 mph. I am on the fence about this. Is that much weight alright? I feel it is too much, and just a band-aid fix.

Last edited: August 25, 2017
    8. traveler

traveler Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Mesa, AZ
      2000 EB Explorer 5.0
      I'd say its a bandaid fix. Get new tires.

9. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      It's worrisome for two reasons. The tires may be imbalanced enough that it's structurally bad, that(how much) I don't know. The other minor thing is the weights, there's more to possibly knock off. If it ends up you keep them, at least run a bead of RTV around the outer edge to keep the adhesive sealed.

10. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      I need to talk to Goodyear about the weights and see what they say/think. They are closed until Monday for some reason.

11. WormsExplorer

WormsExplorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, co
      97 Explorer 5.0
      How dare they. They think they need a 3 day weekend LOL

12. Turdle

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      Usually from what I hear is, if a lot of weight is needed you should break the bead and rotate the tire on the wheel 180 degrees and check again. That is to much weight.

MT's are harder to balance than AT's are. The imbalance is probably at the tread, where the surface speed is higher than the inner rim.

13. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Virginia Beach, Va
      00 4x4 Mounty
      I'd only be concerned with the one with 10+ ozs. 4-7 oz is normal for a mud tire. I've got at least 5 oz on every 35" Mickey Thompson on my ranger. I've got over 7oz on one of my tires and I'm pretty sure it's a little out of round. Mind you my tires have about 50% tread, have done many burnouts and are 4 years old.

14. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      My KM2'a had massive tread beef, and they balanced perfectly with dynabeads.

On one hand I understand, it's a MT and not made for super fast speeds, BUT they are sold as dual use, and DOT approved, so they should at least be good to do the speed limits.

If they told me beforehand, that these tires will not balance properly, and I would not be able to do 60 mph with them, do you really think I would have bought them? C'mon, lets get real here. I paid big bucks, based on what they hyped, and I expect them to work..... Period.

I agree with Don. They have obvious manufacturing flaws. You can do a little googling, and find plenty of stories about the manufacturing mishaps, and Goodyear honering the warranties.

In case it wasn't read in the above post....... Balance was attempted by two different tire shops, using a high dollar, High tech, Road force machine, 2 diff sets of wheels, static weights, and beads, and this is the best they can do. How the hell can they argue that they aren't defective? At least 2 of them!!!

15. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Ditto, the few ounces don't bother me, it's the big 10+ ounce one that shouldn't have passed inspection to begin with.

16. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Didn't feel like doing yard work on my Saturday off, (always tomorrow). I had an idea about storing items better, awhile back, during the recent CO trip. So I broke out the wood working tools, and got busy, after I stripped the cargo area of some add on stuff, to make room to work. I managed to get about 90% of it done. Have to wait on a few parts I ordered, to finish it off.

I built another storage box, but this one is way bigger. (H-W-D).

Raw outer box.

Lower box outer raw.jpg

Raw box with Slide out Drawer.

Lower box with drawer raw.jpg

Covered & Installed in the rig.

Lower box installed.jpg

So, I installed the other box on top of this one, but I had to install a small 3" lift kit on it first.

Upper box lift kit.jpg

Reason for the lift kit... A space to store the coveted camping table that nobody remembers to bring with. lol I installed an E-track stretch strap across it to hold it in place.

20170826_171342.jpg
      Full front view box.jpg

I also added a 24"Wx12"Hx6"D E-Track Basket to hold the small loose items that normally just get stuffed into the 1st crevice found.

2ft x 1ft storage basket.jpg

Parts I'm waiting on, are single Slim E-track mounts. The other side of the box is getting 2" stretch straps to hold misc items, against the side of the box. The top and rear sides also get these. Still have to install the spare drive shaft mounts. Skeeters came out for dinner, and I was on the menu. I called it a day.

• Like Like x 3
    17. Turdle

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      Camp table, thanks for reminding me. I'll have to remember to get one later.

• Like Like x 2
    18. traveler

traveler Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Mesa, AZ
      2000 EB Explorer 5.0
      Great work! You've inspired me... Hmmm... How to install a cabinet like that and still have room for Molly.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Turdle

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      Yeah, those are some nice storage boxes. They look solid.

I wonder if your neighbors were thinking this index.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    20. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      I attached the top box in such a way, that I can remove it fairly easily. I will only use it for the long haul trips when more gear is needed. The bottom box is large enough to carry tools and parts for short local trips. I can strap camping items to the top for those weekend trips.

They are very sturdy indeed. Slides are good for a couple hundred pounds. The lower box is attached to the floor, and should survive a roll or flop.

These would cost close to a grand , if you just buy them already made. Im sure they are a lot nicer, and have better hardware tho. I built them for about a hundo each.

Like I said in the past, if I can do it, so can you. Lol.

New neighbors probably rethinking moving in, next to the guy, that is always running power tools, all the time.

21. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Sweet, an organized truck. I appreciate that, but I've been stripping my work truck as my loads get bigger. My actual work truck has no interior in the back, those quarter panel pieces have plenty of dead space behind them. My temporary work truck I took the back seat out last November, the seat belts too. With it all empty I can handle a lot more packages, without it stacked to the ceiling. Soon I'll need a seat back in to haul a person to inspect, and another to train to sub for me. I'm planning to test out my welder(learn how) on my 99's roof rack. With the 93 rear body(roof rack), I think I can make a steel bar fit in place of the side pieces, held down with five bolts on each side. I'll build it across and hopefully that pre-made Hail brand will be a good size to fit onto it. We'll see.

• Like Like x 1
    22. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      I thought about removing the rear seats at one time. I just can't bring myself to do it. I like having them. Who knows, that might change someday, never say never.

23. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Virginia Beach, Va
      00 4x4 Mounty
      I have the single seat behind the driver removed in my girl's 3rd gen. Not only does it make 3rd row access a breeze (I know this doesn't apply to you) it's a nice convenient place to throw a couple of cases of water or put heavy items that you want as low as possible (back cargo area is at least 8" higher) and don't have to walk around back and open the hatch to get. Then there's still the other side for seats.

• Like Like x 1
    24. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      You have as much cooking items as I do, you really really need one. I can barely fit what I have on my table, and can't camp without one. No idea how you have done without all these years.

25. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      If I end up removing, it would be both, to add a floor storage as high as the new box and make a sleeping area across them. I have a nice self inflating camping mat that is 72x42 and will fit perfectly.

26. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      After 30 mins on the phone with Goodyear, they agreed to replace the 2 tires that have the most weights on them. I only asked for the worse two tires, as 3-5 oz on the others, is acceptable to me. They contacted the tire shop, and they confirmed the amount of weights they had to use to get them to balance. When they asked if they still vibrated, I told them that doesn't matter, as there is an obvious manufacturing flaw with them to need so much weight. I stuck to my guns with that statement, no matter what they came back at me with.

They called the tire shop again, told them to order 2 new tires, and they would contact me, when they are in. After it was all said and done, the rep was extremely helpful, and sympathized with me, and said any tire that expensive should perform to expectations. They waived the Pro-rate amount, and all I have to pay is the mount & balance fees to the tire shop.

Now if the new tires balance normally, this is the end of this story, with a happy ending. We shall see!!

• Like Like x 1