Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

The Black Hole

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer Registry' started by gmanpaint, April 3, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      98 Limited AWD
      Excellent, we like hearing good service stories. Fingers crossed here.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. gmanpaint

gmanpaint Torsion Bar Free Elite Explorer

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Weird... I installed the PB Browser fix add on, but I can only see some of my Pics, not all.

Anybody else that has installed this, see any missing images?

4. Turdle

Turdle I bake stuff Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
    5. WormsExplorer

WormsExplorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, co
      97 Explorer 5.0
      Yeah I am not seeing your pictures on your third post. :-(

6. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      So the two replacement tires came in. I took them in loose to have them installed. Told the counter guy if they need 10 oz to balance, send them back as I won't accept them. he gave the old deer in the headlights look at me. He tried to argue that the tires are so big that it is normal, and as long as they don't vibrate they will be fine. I had to look him in the eye, and say I don't care. If it takes that much weight, the tire is defective, and the entire reason I am there doing this swap.

They called later and said one tire is taking 8.25 oz to balance. I thought about this, and told him to just do it. I have 12 months, and if something happens, I will open a new claim with goodyear on them. I'm just sick of dealing with this already. Waiting on a call back to go pick them up.

7. Turdle

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      Umm, make sure they don't have yellow dots on the sidewall, that is where they are supposed to line up the valve stem

And, since they are not a "large tire" dealer with the real experience, did you ask them if they broke the bead, rotated the tire on the wheel and tried the balance again? As I said earlier, this is what you do if a tire seems to want too much weight, try it on another spot on the wheel in case the heavy part of the wheel and tire are in the same spot.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Turdle

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
    9. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Just got back. One needed 4.25 oz, the other was actually 8.75 oz. Told the guy I was disappointed in this, but it is what it is. If I have an issue and it vibrates or feels off, I will open a new claim on them with Goodyear.

Of course I asked about the 180*, he said they did, and turned it three times trying to get a better read. Also asked if they had a road force machine, said nope. These will make 7 of these tires I have got, and none had any of the colored dots on the side walls.

They are a pretty large dealer, with a couple dozen shops. I think it is more the counter guy I dealt with, even tho he said he has 30 yrs dealing with Goodyear. When he told me he researched this today, he came across an article from TireRack.com saying 1% of the tires weight in balance weight is acceptable. I scoffed at him, and countered by telling him to google search "MTR's bad balancing", and get ready to read a ton. Also to check out the long thread on PB4x4 going back to 2012 about this issue and these tires. When he started opening his mouth again, I said look, if they blow up at Hwy speed because of a defect, I really don't wanna die... OK? He shut up.

The one thing that bothered me about all this today, is when he asked how many miles are on them, and I repeated myself 3 times, he wrote a higher number on the Goodyear claim sheet. when I said he wrote it down wrong, he blew me off like I never said anything. That changed my demeanor with him, paid for the mount & balance, walked away and into the shop, rolled my tires out, and left.

New rubber smell :D
      New MTR's 9_2_17.jpg

8.75 oz :(
      new tire 8.75 oz.jpg

10. WormsExplorer

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, co
      97 Explorer 5.0
      WOW can't believe you dealt with all that. The guy I go to for tires has a machine that can handle up to 46 inch tires. Of course he is a off road shop also. he is my go to guy for anything for my rig or car. Hope things turn out better for you.

• Like Like x 1
    11. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      I'm tempted to buy a brand new set of wheels, or find someone that uses finger plates, on the balance machines for a true lug centric balance. If the center holes are out of round even a 1/16", it will multiply big time on a 35' tire. That happens with steel wheels all the time, but not as much on Aluminum, but can still happen.

I have been around the block or two in my life, and lost count of how many tires, I have purchased, and had balanced in my day. All these excuses, and far fetched reasons, by these counter guys, techs, & web jockey's, just cracks me up.

The rig cruised consistently smooth at 75 mph. So if anything, the objective for a smooth ride was accomplished. Just wish I had this done before the long trip a few weeks back. When these tires are working right, they are hard to beat for an all around aggressive tire, in any terrain, and good on pavement. So far, the best tire I have had on the trails. If they didn't perform so well, I would have gave up on them, sold them, and moved on already. For now, I'm happy again. :)

The End.

12. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      A project slated for this weekend got derailed. Parts was built wrong by the factory, and I had to send them back to be fixed. Always something!!

So with a free weekend from the holiday, I tinkered ( imagine that) around with the storage box's. Took the top smaller out, and added some slim E-track mounts for the 2" stretch straps, and moved the basket to the other side. Added a way to store fluids and held in place securely. For now, this box is in the back of the 1st gen holding work tools, until needed for another road trip.

Goofy looking brackets mounted.

box brackets.jpg

Fluids: Engine oil-Antifreeze- Trans fluid- Brake fluid.

Box fluids.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    13. WormsExplorer

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, co
      97 Explorer 5.0
      Looks good.

• Like Like x 1
    14. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I hope those tires last you a few years, cross fingers.

I've got a set of Michelins on my 99 that were new last November, are getting slick now. I'm close to 20k miles on them, which is bad but I was worried I wouldn't make it this far.

I like that fluids hold down arrangement. I will have to do something like that for my mail truck. I have no interior panels in the back, so it needs something around the wheels to hold things stored away. I have just a first aid kit, ATF/funnel, and my 19.2V air pump in my 98 truck now. Keep the ideas coming.

BTW, does anyone need a new phone, or an extra phone? I just got a 2nd phone that's smaller to fit in my pocket, and the price on QVC is less than the minutes package it came with. I got the Tracfone android flip phone, plus the 1 year 1200 minutes deal, for $50 +S&T. That 400minutes package is $99 plus fees and taxes by itself. So for about $60, you get a phone good for a year, and 1200 minutes/text/data. It's cool for an emergency extra phone for a minor cost per year. My neighbor just got hers since her grandson took her old one(he's a rotten grown up(35ish)).

• Like Like x 1
    15. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      20k on a set of tires... Been a while since I had normal street tires. Softer the compound, the faster they wear. I forgot how fast that can happen.

I'm good on the phone thing.

The E-track brackets can mount to anything you can put a bolt/screw into. there is a huge variety of parts & applications with them. From cinch, ratchet, & bungee straps, plus tons of tool holders, and more. They even have a thick lock box to store personal items securely. This fluid hold down is just until I think of something, or find something better. It works for now, but it seems I am always looking for something to suit my needs better. lol It's a sickness.

16. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Virginia Beach, Va
      00 4x4 Mounty
      Good to see the truck rides smooth now. Usually anyone can spot a bad wheel on on a balancer, you can see if the rim lip is true or not. It's a little harder to see on black steel wheels though.

• Like Like x 1
    17. Turdle

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      I saw what you did there--

Good job on the box and fluid storage.

• Like Like x 1
    18. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Well, The BH got another 2 years lease on life today. Passed inspections for tag renewal.

Rear bumper barely made it. Measured at the lowest point, it cleared by 3/4" on the 35's. I thought I would have to go find some 31's and bring it back for a minute there. The tech was giving me the ole stink eye when he walked over with a tape measure. lol They measured the front under the frame rail as it is tied into it dead center, and that barely made it also.

Now that that, is over with, I can get to tearing into it again, for the next round(s) of Mods. :D

• Like Like x 3
    19. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      LOL, what is that height measurement? Maybe it needs some side skirts, a body kit of some kind. That would be helpful in a flooded area. I was thinking about that the other day, how much water gets into the diff's or the trans, TC, when they get under water? The engine front and rear seals are pretty good, but axles seals aren't usually that tight at the bottom.

20. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      For this rig, the max height for the lowest section is 29".

Axle seals do well to keep out water when submerged..... if they are cool.
      It's when they are hot, is when they can't keep water out. A vacuum is created, and it sucks water in past the seals. Keeping the vent tubes open at the tip helps release pressure. Running them lines as high as possible, and not using a breather tip, has worked well for me.

I still change the fluids once a year, or after an outing, that seen a lot of deep water crossings.

21. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I pondered, whether it would be worth it to run tiny air lines to them, with an on board supply, with just enough air volume to be more than the amount of water that might come in. I didn't know you would do something with the vent tips, I imagined using common low volume one way check valves. I was just daydreaming watching some odd car show(Top Gear I think).

22. roscoe 0202

roscoe 0202 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      salt lake city utah
      1999 explorer sport
      on my build I put #6 [3/8] inch barbs and ran hose from rear transfer trans front dif to block in engine compartment with a breather on it.
      roscoe

23. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      The one way tips help when the tubes are low.
      They help to keep road spray, and an occasional dip in the deep stuff out. When the cool water hits the hot axle housing, it creates a strong sudden vac. The one way valve tip, forces the air intake from the axle tube seals, and sucks the water in.

There are billow type vent tips that allow a little air to be drawn in, as they expand and contract with air volume, but even they don't always work.

Running all the vent lines up as high as possible helps and no one way tip, allows as much air volume as needed to negate the pull on the axle seals.

My front diff, trans, and t-case are in the engine bay. The rear axle line, is ran up into and behind the left taillight as high as it can go. I have mini air filters on a couple of them.

Long explanation, but I hope I made it understandable, for anyone that has stumbled on this subject.

Last edited: September 13, 2017
      • Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    24. Turdle

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      Well, it passed inspection so now it's time to add stuff and push the envelope a bit further. Woo Hoo!

• Like Like x 1
    25. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      All I meant was I was waiting to pass the inspection so I could start the mods. The next round will have it down for a few weeks or more. Bad timing is all.

26. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      On August 10th, I ordered a set of extended Stainless Steel brake lines for all corners, from Deerfield Precision.

On August 24th, I attempted to contact them to see what's up with my order. No such luck, as the website doesn't work for contacts, and they do not answer or return calls.

On Sept 5th, I got an email saying they are waiting on a fitting from a supplier, for a rear line. Then said they are trying to source it from a new vendor.

If I had known they do not stock them, and it would take over a month (and counting) to receive these, I would never have ordered them.

Just sharing as a warning to others if they choose to deal with them, that your product won't arrive in a decent time frame, and the customer service is terrible.