Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

The Black Hole

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer Registry' started by gmanpaint, April 3, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Turdle

Turdle Will cook for gas Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2000 Mounty
      I was joking ya know-

I am on the fence about inspections, even though we don't have them here. I asked a state trooper how high my front bumper could be. His response was " I don't even care if you have a front bumper" . We have no inspections at all.
      That could come back to bite a guy though, if he was to cross into a state where different limits are set, or, types of steering joints are precisely described. I could see where it could lead to an impounded truck if there is a safety violation. That could sure mess up a vacation.

At least you know you can probably drive about anywhere with the setup you have.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. gmanpaint

gmanpaint Torsion Bar Free Elite Explorer

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      No plans on going any higher. The inspection was done with the rig empty. Loaded up it sits about an inch lower in the rear. Empty it has a rake to it.

Some states have crap height laws, such as no more then a 3" diff from the ground up from front to rear. Or, no change in stock height. If your on a HWY, and passing thru a state, I feel they don't really mess with you as much, but they could if they felt like it. I don't see them impounding the rig for a high bumper, if your from out of state, but getting a ticket out of state sucks. Now if you don't have a bumper at all, or no hood, or something stupid like that, then yeah, I can see them not allowing you to carry on further.

4. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Still no SS brake lines. 6 weeks and counting.

Amazed it only took 2 days to receive the wrong parts, but going on 3 weeks for the right parts, on another order.

And to top it all off, another order was missing some parts. Only took 5 weeks for that one to arrive.

Is it just me, or is anybody else having issues getting items in a timely manner? I'm not sure I like this digital age we are in right now. I miss the old days. I liked going to the local places, and actually looking at items, and discussing them with a person, before buying and walking out with the product that same day.

5. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Ditto, it is a crap shoot to buy things sometimes.

I found a place in Texas that I think can machine and refinish some used wheels I need worked on. I have called them at least once a week, and sent emails three times as they asked for. I still haven't got a response after about six weeks. I'm expecting them to send me shipping label info, and confirm the work we've discussed. It makes me wonder if my wheels might be misplaced or not treated right when they do have them.

We try to be patient and hope we are dealing with good people. Let's hope so, good luck with the brake lines. My local hydraulic shop here I think stopped making SS lines. I was wondering if I need to hunt another source.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Turdle

Turdle Will cook for gas Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      Yeah, on one hand Amazon has us spoiled, but on the other they also show what could happen if you try to make it happen.
      This time frame though is ridiculous. It's like they took the order, and used the cash to buy the raw materials to make it.

7. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      That kind of delay is usually from internal business issues, like few employees and disorganized procedures etc. I hope they do get it worked out, the quality they have produced reviews very well.

My local shop has made about 6-8 front lines for me, one pair being stock type. That one first pair I had a slight leak in one, the original fitting they reused didn't hold the connection obviously. I learned later that they could then get the fittings new from a source. I hope that one problem was due to the used component, but as I posted they may not have the machines any longer. I haven't been there in a good year or more. I need to check them out to touch base with them, I;ve relied on then for many odd items. I need to get on my next custom brake project this year, my stock brakes aren't really up to my new mail route.

8. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Here is a perfect example of what I'm talking about...

Yesterday, an Amazon order of new PIAA Lens rock guards/covers arrived. I just tried to install them. Simple "Snap" on covers that are thick molded plastic. They rely on the lens screws to snap over the screw heads, and hold them in place.

They are about 1/8" too wide to hold, and fall right off. :( These aren't cheap either, as PIAA is very proud of their products. They are the 510 covers for the 510 lights. How do you screw that up? I trusted the websites description, gave them my $$, and got ganked.

The new 85w high pressure bulbs worked at least. Those are about 5 times the cost as much as normal bulbs.

Last week, I tried to call 2 of the places a few times, I am waiting on parts with. Left voicemails, and they do not answer the phones. Nothing, not even a F-U. I have to call another place and ask about the missing parts not sent. I bet I don't get them on the line either. This standard of customer service is driving me crazy. I do blame it on the digital age. If I walked into a store, where I bought them, and voiced my concerns, face to face, I wouldn't be going thru this crap. When ordering online from suppliers, they just don't seem to give a crap, as they don't have to confront you face to face.

Yes, I'm grumpy today. Can ya tell?

Edit:
      It is now Wednesday, 4 days later. I still have never got a return call from the supplier of the wrongly built parts I sent back for them to fix. I called the general #, instead of the parts manager today. Rep told me he looked for the person I have been dealing with, but he couldn't find him. I told him all I wanted was a status update on my parts. Fixed, not fixed, when to expect them, etc... Dude says, when I find him, I will make sure he calls you asap. That was this morning. It is now the end of the work day, and no call back. I will give them to the end of this week, and if I don't get an update of some kind, I will demand a refund. These are not cheap parts BTW.
      Yes, still Grumpy.

Last edited: September 20, 2017 at 5:47 PM
      • Like Like x 1
    9. WormsExplorer

WormsExplorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, co
      97 Explorer 5.0
      Nope couldnt tell gman lol.