Discussion in 'Elite Explorer Registry' started by gmanpaint, April 3, 2009.
If it talks like a fish, it must be a fish. Lol
Join the Elite Explorers for $20
Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose
fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own.
Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery,
create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.
Log in or Sign up to hide adverts.
Let me know how that goes...after KY, I might have to convert mine too!
Six wheeler truck(?), 18 wheeler, 14 wheeler, well I know four of those tires are expensive. I just watched a recent Top Gear episode in Iceland, with three American trucks going to a volcano. The Bronco and Scout had 44" tires, and the slow Dodge had 49's. Those were cool trucks, and the huge tires were needed where they were going in really deep snow etc. A car show like that is staged, in real life you don't have the backup support trucks paid to bring extra supplies and parts etc.
I hope it's all for the best, plenty of fun and relatively safe enough in the end. Night all,
most of us gifted folk can could to 11, but must be naked to perform said task
And that's why we don't hand you a tape measure, at a build party. Lol
Ok, I guess I can share this little Mod for now.
A couple of switched items, was added to the rig. Needed to come up with a better solution to house everything, in an easy to reach, and easily visible location. Needed a switch panel, so.... No more James Bond Mod.
Out came the cubby pocket in the console, and removed the pocket section (4- 5.5mm screws).
Used a 1/4" sheet of Black Acrylic, and made a new switch panel for everything.
Cut the acrylic close to size, and then heated it in the oven for 5 mins @ 350*.
With the console wrapped in Aluminum foil, I placed the hot acrylic on it, and gently formed it by hand. Held it there for a couple of minutes as it cooled.
I used a heat gun to help roll the edges a bit. Marked & cut it closer to shape with a Dremel and a fine tooth saw blade.
To soften the rough saw marks a little, I used MAP gas to polish the edges. Could use a polishing with a buffer to get it better.
Clamped to the console, and drilled 4 mounting holes, and then using a cone router bit on the Dremel, recessed the holes.
Made a template with cardboard, and drilled all the switch holes. Mounted said switches, and then put it all together.
Still have to paint the screw heads black, and then transfer the switch wiring from the ashtray. Then eventually, it will be installed. That's for another day.
This might seem like a small teeny item, bit it took me the better part of a day to do. Too bad Painless wiring company doesn't make these already, because I would have bought one. lol
Enough chatter, on with the pics...
Excellent, that's slick. I like that working with stock parts to create subtle upgrades.
Did you burn anything, get some sensitive finger tips etc?
I used some thick leather gloves with a 2nd pair of cloth gloves inside. No burns, cuts or bruises today. Miracles do happen!
how about this? unscrew the pocket from it and grind the tabs off on the underside. then take epoxy on the the back side and put the acrylic in from the bottom? looks like you have it formed pretty close, and would look more finished
Pocket is gone already. I guess I could cut off those 4 pocket tabs, and cut some off, all the way around it, to make it work like that. It is molded pretty tight to it as is. Hmmm.....
That is pretty slick. would a heat gun work for that ?
Heat gun could possibly work for 1/8" acrylic, but for this 1/4", the oven was best. I used the heat gun on high, to help with the edges while it was still warm.
I went 1/4" because of all the drilling it needed. Thinner acrylic tends to chip & crack easily when drilling. I started with a 1/8" bit, for a pilot hole, then used a step bit for the rest. The winch control power switch took a 1" hole, and the Gauge took a 3/4".
I did away with the alum plate for the winch switches, as the acrylic was too thick for it's threaded post.
Tim really has me thinking of changing it up, and putting it under for a cleaner install.
Sweet! I can be a bad infuance even thousands of miles away
That looks awesome. Can't wait to see it mounted.