Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

The Black Hole

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer Registry' started by gmanpaint, April 3, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. gmanpaint

gmanpaint Torsion Bar Free Elite Explorer

City, State:
      STL MO
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      If it talks like a fish, it must be a fish. Lol

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 5spdman

5spdman Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Stryker, OH
      91 Explorer XLT
      Let me know how that goes...after KY, I might have to convert mine too! :D

• Like Like x 1
    4. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Six wheeler truck(?), 18 wheeler, 14 wheeler, well I know four of those tires are expensive. I just watched a recent Top Gear episode in Iceland, with three American trucks going to a volcano. The Bronco and Scout had 44" tires, and the slow Dodge had 49's. Those were cool trucks, and the huge tires were needed where they were going in really deep snow etc. A car show like that is staged, in real life you don't have the backup support trucks paid to bring extra supplies and parts etc.

I hope it's all for the best, plenty of fun and relatively safe enough in the end. Night all,

• Like Like x 1
    5. vroomzoomboom

vroomzoomboom Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS! Elite Explorer

City, State:
      selkirk, manitoba
      98 supercharged 347 sport
      most of us gifted folk can could to 11, but must be naked to perform said task

jus' say'n

• Like Like x 1
    6. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      And that's why we don't hand you a tape measure, at a build party. Lol

• Like Like x 1
    7. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Ok, I guess I can share this little Mod for now. :D

A couple of switched items, was added to the rig. Needed to come up with a better solution to house everything, in an easy to reach, and easily visible location. Needed a switch panel, so.... No more James Bond Mod.

Out came the cubby pocket in the console, and removed the pocket section (4- 5.5mm screws).
      Used a 1/4" sheet of Black Acrylic, and made a new switch panel for everything.
      Cut the acrylic close to size, and then heated it in the oven for 5 mins @ 350*.
      With the console wrapped in Aluminum foil, I placed the hot acrylic on it, and gently formed it by hand. Held it there for a couple of minutes as it cooled.
      I used a heat gun to help roll the edges a bit. Marked & cut it closer to shape with a Dremel and a fine tooth saw blade.
      To soften the rough saw marks a little, I used MAP gas to polish the edges. Could use a polishing with a buffer to get it better.
      Clamped to the console, and drilled 4 mounting holes, and then using a cone router bit on the Dremel, recessed the holes.
      Made a template with cardboard, and drilled all the switch holes. Mounted said switches, and then put it all together.
      Still have to paint the screw heads black, and then transfer the switch wiring from the ashtray. Then eventually, it will be installed. That's for another day.

This might seem like a small teeny item, bit it took me the better part of a day to do. Too bad Painless wiring company doesn't make these already, because I would have bought one. lol

Enough chatter, on with the pics...

switch panel 1.jpg
      Switch panel 2.jpg
      Switch panel 3.jpg
      Switch panel 4.jpg
      Switch panel 5.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    8. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Excellent, that's slick. I like that working with stock parts to create subtle upgrades.

Did you burn anything, get some sensitive finger tips etc?

• Like Like x 1
    9. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      I used some thick leather gloves with a 2nd pair of cloth gloves inside. No burns, cuts or bruises today. Miracles do happen! :D

• Like Like x 1
    10. vroomzoomboom

City, State:
      selkirk, manitoba
      how about this? unscrew the pocket from it and grind the tabs off on the underside. then take epoxy on the the back side and put the acrylic in from the bottom? looks like you have it formed pretty close, and would look more finished

11. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Pocket is gone already. I guess I could cut off those 4 pocket tabs, and cut some off, all the way around it, to make it work like that. It is molded pretty tight to it as is. Hmmm.....

12. Turdle

Turdle I bake stuff Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
    13. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Heat gun could possibly work for 1/8" acrylic, but for this 1/4", the oven was best. I used the heat gun on high, to help with the edges while it was still warm.

I went 1/4" because of all the drilling it needed. Thinner acrylic tends to chip & crack easily when drilling. I started with a 1/8" bit, for a pilot hole, then used a step bit for the rest. The winch control power switch took a 1" hole, and the Gauge took a 3/4".

I did away with the alum plate for the winch switches, as the acrylic was too thick for it's threaded post.

Tim really has me thinking of changing it up, and putting it under for a cleaner install.

• Like Like x 1
    14. vroomzoomboom

City, State:
      selkirk, manitoba
      Sweet! I can be a bad infuance even thousands of miles away

:D

• Like Like x 1
    15. WormsExplorer

WormsExplorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, co
      97 Explorer 5.0
      That looks awesome. Can't wait to see it mounted.

• Like Like x 1
    16. ghosttrain2

ghosttrain2 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Winnemucca,NV
      1994 XLT
      You have been very busy!! Looking good!

• Like Like x 1
    17. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Thanks Dave !
      Where have you been lately???

18. ghosttrain2

City, State:
      Winnemucca,NV
      1994 XLT
      between work, and travelling on days off to be with the wife, doesn't leave much time for anything else. Sold off most of the car projects I had, and kept the trucks. I have been lurking here from time to time, and posted my most recent purchase last night. Bought a clean 1986 Bronco 2, needing a transfer case. Keep up the good work!!

• Like Like x 1
    19. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      So much for that nice new pump installed last spring. Had to install a new (cheapo china knockoff) sender assembly w/pump the other day.

Seems the wire to the fuel Gauge was shorter than the other 3 on the sending unit, and the wight of the modified harness must have caused it to break. Not enough to solder back together, so out it went. I zip tied the harness to make sure it doesn't happen again. Amazing what a cheap zip tie will do in prevention. The flooring door, sure made it easier to do the 2nd time around. :)

The only thing that has me concerned is the new unit's hard lines are clocked differently. The Nylon line that was repaired, is a bit short now, and it has made a slight bend at the fitting. If it acts like the engine is starving, I will know why. Time will tell. I have to get the brakes working again, in order to test this @ WOT under load, & the new mods out.

The old upper vent tube looks like it is cracked, but hard to tell for sure if it went all the way thru or not. I did not see that when I did this job last spring, and it is something new. :dunno:

Broken pump wire.jpg
      New

new pump assebly installed 2_27_18.jpg

20. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      That looks good, I like all of it but the fuel line. My Mercury was twisted up like that when I did the pump the first time. The last time I had to drop the tank, I bought a used feed line from here and swapped that in. Those tiny internal clip/fingers catch some times, and pulling on them makes them worse. Mine was not fixable when I first got it off, I think the used line was about #35 or so shipped, in a three foot box(line folded in half, worked great).

• Like Like x 1
    21. ghosttrain2

City, State:
      Winnemucca,NV
      1994 XLT
      I bought a Dorman fuel line repair kit, when I built my Explorer, and made my fuel lines. It worked great! If you are careful, some of the ends can be reused.

22. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Yeah, I have the smaller Dorman line / connector, for the good side. Lol

I had replaced the line connector on the side that is bent a little. If it turns out to be a problem, that is what I will do.

• Like Like x 1
    23. gmanpaint

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      Rant on: :rant:
      I have been having the toughest time with vendors & purchasing items lately.

Waited 3 months for an item that was supposed to take less than 1 month. Arrived in a destroyed package. I "think" it survived.
      After waiting 3 months on another set of parts, and had to open a paypal claim to get reimbursed on that one.
      Been waiting on another item for a month, that was supposed to take 3 days, and just got an update that it won't arrive for another 2 months. Cancelled that order. Now looking elsewhere.
      Farmed some work out on the rig that had a 90 day agreed upon time frame, and gave an extra 2 weeks on top of that, and it came back about 80% done. Having to finish up, clean up, and re-do a lot of that work to get it up to snuff, was not in the game plan. Figures, the first time I trust someone to work on this rig, and this crap happens. Had to cancel a trip over it. :(
      Ordered some parts for another project, and they arrived not the same as I ordered. Special order from a shop, and they can't return them. They are considering trading them for something different for me tho. Crossing fingers on that one.
      Need a few more big ticket items, but I am now gun shy about ordering anything online. I might be able to get some of them locally, but will have to pay the crazy mark ups on them.

The way we have transitioned to shopping online, the automated recordings, the emails, the texts, and the lack of personal communications, just irritates me. I walk into stores, and the shelves are bare, or stocked with items that seem to have no relevance. I am instructed to go online, and order/pay there, then come back and pick it up, or pay to be shipped to my home. WTF? You younger folk aren't bothered that much by this, as it seems normal to you. I grew up in a completely different era, and have watched as the times have changed, and for me, this isn't for the better. I still like a handshake and speaking to a real person when conducting business. Texting & Facebook for conducting business is about the most idiotic form of communications there is. People would rather text, than actually speak, or leave a voicemail. C'mon, really? Seems pretty chickenshit to me.

Rant off..... Have a nice day!

• Like Like x 3
    24. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Virginia Beach, Va
      00 4x4 Mounty
      I know the feeling. I just recently stopped purchasing parts for my business online over spending a bunch of wasted time trying to return a cv axle for credit that they wouldn't approve. In the end rockauto did me wrong and now I pay extra just to keep my business local. I spent over 15k with them just last year and they wouldn't take back a $63 cv axle that was damaged because I "took it out the damaged box". Since then I've made a bunch of orders on their website but printed off the cart page and took it to one of my close auto parts stores I deal with. They come as close as they can on their pricing and get me the parts within 24 hours. Since December I estimate they have lost about $4500 in sales just from me. Probably not even noticeable to them but someone has to keep the local stores open. Since then I've redirected my spending to try to keep as much local even if it's 20% more just so ups and usps don't use my parts to make Hail Mary passes around the place.

• Like Like x 2
    25. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I agree, mail order used to be a dreaded thing, or call long distance to order was almost as bad. Now nobody orders anything that way, it's an instant order by machine and hope it works out.

I've stopped calling a TX place to get a set of used rims refinished. I talked with three people during about 15 calls, over 2-3 months. I got it to where they were to email me a shipping label, but they never did. I wasn't worried until they supposedly moved the business, and then calls were harder to get through. I think insuring the wheels would be smart if I still have to go that route, pay for it both ways. They've got a set on eBay similar to mine, they want $2300 for($1k more than I gave), I don't want to lose these.

• Like Like x 1
    26. vroomzoomboom

City, State:
      selkirk, manitoba
      FWIW, rock auto no longer has a customer service call number. you have to do everything on line now. cores, problem with order, parts return, warranty. i found this out earlier last week AFTER i placed a order. the better part, one part is coming DHL. they lover to jam us up the ass in charges. so with the tracking number i called them to as if there was any. they gave a option of me leaving my number and they would call back because of high volume of calls at the moment. well, that was over 9 hours ago...