The definative '96 - '01 PATS, Fuel Pressure, Injector, and Wiring Harness Thread | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The definative '96 - '01 PATS, Fuel Pressure, Injector, and Wiring Harness Thread

You there test point?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wasn't, am now.

The c115 connector is that the 42 pin plug?

I pm nice59fordf100 and asked if he could help he seems to have alot of diagrams and knowledge.

I think im gonna need the pinout for the connection from the motor harness to the trans for both versions. If i repin the plug that goes to the case then the case side will be wrong and im not wanting to take the trans apart. So my thought is to repin at that point and then up at the c-202 plug to match the 97 pcm. Dose this make sence or am I just confusing myself?

. . . and me!

Be calm!

The C202 connector to the PCM, early or late has pin 3, 49, 50 and 64 leads common to both early and late harnesses (see post #27). Those are the transmission valve solenoid controls. The issue I question is the new Digital Transmission Control Sensor leads on 3, 49,50 and 64.

It really doesn't matter where you make the conversion but I would suggest that at the transmission side of C180 (see post #31), the far end of the transmission harness, would be the most logical place. There is definitely a conversion of pin function from the early/late harnesses at that point.

Again, I have the late schematics and would happy to post anything you feel you need.

What do you think CDW ?

Look at the computer chart on the first page, see pin #s 1, 27, 37, 54, 81, 91, and 97.

Those are the circuits which lead to the transmission case connector. ...

I think that Ford would have placed those circuits in the same place for 96-01 computers. I doubt that they moved them in 1998, along with the trans wiring changes.

That makes me think that your trans malfunctions are not related to the wiring, given that you have the 98-01 wiring.

I want to see the PCM pinout chart for the 96/97 model 302, to confirm those seven circuits.

Ok im having trouble with some functions on the forum cause I need to get an android app but I bought elite status last night and while I dont have all my functions it did let me use the search a little better. I found the thread cdw6212r was involved in and the guy made a 98/01 tranny work in a 97 truck. I searched ( 4r70w wiring) just scroll down and you will see it.

Cdw I can probably get the range senser from a crown Vic or something in one of my friends junk but do I need to swap the case plug also? The big difference is if there is one is im using a 98 harness.

I want to see the PCM pinout chart for the 96/97 model 302, to confirm those seven circuits.

The pin out chart in post #27 is exactly that; left side early, right side the changes in the late C202 PCM connector.

So what's the verdict?

Ok im having trouble with some functions on the forum cause I need to get an android app but I bought elite status last night and while I dont have all my functions it did let me use the search a little better. I found the thread cdw6212r was involved in and the guy made a 98/01 tranny work in a 97 truck. I searched ( 4r70w wiring) just scroll down and you will see it.

Did you post a link to that thread?

If you believe that your trans symptoms closely match those of that 97 truck, then it seems that you would also have the wiring harness from a 96/97 truck.

If the PCM circuits match for all models, for the shift solenoids etc, then to have those symptoms would mean that the harness is wrong(needing to be repinned).

The pin out chart in post #27 is exactly that; left side early, right side the changes in the late C202 PCM connector.

I just wanted to confirm that that chart was accurate for both.

If it is then the 98+ wiring harness should work on the 96/97 PCM, if nothing got moved around at the computer.

Meaning, I only concentrated on the internal trans circuits. If other circuits are moved around at the PCM between models, then those wires need to be moved around to match, at the PCM.

Cdw I can probably get the range senser from a crown Vic or something in one of my friends junk but do I need to swap the case plug also? The big difference is if there is one is im using a 98 harness.

All of the pre-1998 DTRS sensors were updated(don't use old stock parts) with better sealed units. The fault of the early design is that they were not sealed, moisture etc, can get inside and affect the operations. So always discard any pre-1998 4R70W range sensor.

I really thought there would be some differences in the connector wiring to the PCM but as you can see in the following there is very little and that principally centers on the transmission connections. This is not a true picture because PATS and the transmission changes were added in '98 and the move to a revised fuel system occurred in '99. The year '98 probably belongs in another column.

FordC202pinoutEarlyvsLatepage1.jpg

FordC202pinoutEarlyvsLatepage2.jpg

FordC202pinoutEarlyvsLatepage3.jpg

I have the drawings for the Crankshaft Position Sensor that is my key issue and will publish the differences shortly.

Comparing the two versions of computer, if you have the wiring to match the right side functions(a wire for each), used with a 96/97 PCM, then pin # 30 and 33 will probably cause issues. The #33 is a ground in the 97 PCM, but the 98+ wiring has no wire there. Pin 30 has no wire for the 1997 PCM octane adjust shorting bar input circuit. I have no clue what that is for, but those should be important.

If that chart is accurate, then there are at least two missing wires for circuits in the 96/97 computers.

It looks like the 1998 computers have additional circuits in them, which may mean nothing really for the engine/trans functions, but it means more research should be done.

Yes I have 99 motor and trans 98 wiring harness 98 gem 96 fuelrails and injectors and a 97 pcm so basically im setup as a 98 trying to run a 97 pcm. I'll look at the pcm connection but what I was also wondering was if the gem being plugged into the trucks wiring or the few diferant pins at the 42 pin connector might come into play?

How sure are you that your engine and trans wiring harness is from a 98-01 truck?

I would confirm that, by carefully looking at a few of the wires which the chart above show to be gone or extra in each harness version. YOu can do that by finding a pin from the chart which shows a circuit in one PCM, but not used in the other.

Be absolutely sure which harnesses(both) that you have. If you have the 1996/97 wires, then you can go straight to the trans case connector and move those wires around, and possibly be done. If you have the 98+ harness, for the 97 PCM, you likely will need to add at least two wires, to pin 30 and 33.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The harness on the trans is the original one that came out of the doner a 99 mount. The motor harness is 98 that I got from turdle and it fits the external egr with the return fuel rail and orange injectors so that's rite. If i get the parts they will be Nos my friend serviced cop cars for a while. I have the 98 trans harness turdle also sent and im gonna go to the shop now with all these diagrams and see what I can come up with. I'll also try to find an android app so i can post links and pics just sucks I finally paid for the status and i still cant post right.

Back