The definative '96 - '01 PATS, Fuel Pressure, Injector, and Wiring Harness Thread | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The definative '96 - '01 PATS, Fuel Pressure, Injector, and Wiring Harness Thread

Thanks for the detail look up!

I am hoping that:
The OSS is used for torque converter clutch control, shift scheduling and to determine electronic pressure control.
will address the shift issue.

The Workshop Manual says:
. . . the Vehicle speed sensor (VSS) signal is vehicle dependent and that sources of vehicle speed input are, anti-lock brake sensor (ABS), a gear-driven vehicle speed sensor (VSS) or the transmission output shaft speed sensor (OSS).

The VSS is mentioned in several places, has its own DTCode but is not found in the index or electrical diagrams for my power train, at least in my inspection. The only reference to use, as you identified, is for the speedometer . . . and as input to the PCM. No PCM use of the signal is described . . . again . . . that I found.

For the moment lets pretend, for my application, that the OSS is going to handle all the shift management. Maybe I can get the engine started today.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I posted that from information others have posted about the different swaps. I think we are getting closer to knowing the differences between the PCM systems.

Do you have a 99 computer, wiring, and a 99 Explorer ABS now?

I have 99 motor and trans but I swaped everything ( pcm,gem,harness,ect) to 97 and did the pin swap on the tranny plug but I still have a 99 ABS unit. I dont think the tranny is bad I think its wiring. Best I can tell im in limp mode. Any thoughts?

I have 99 motor and trans but I swaped everything ( pcm,gem,harness,ect) to 97 and did the pin swap on the tranny plug but I still have a 99 ABS unit. I dont think the tranny is bad I think its wiring. Best I can tell im in limp mode. Any thoughts?

The 4R70W trans wiring did change in 1998, so your use of 97 wiring, does that include the trans harness? If so it's an easy thing to move(repin) the wires around in that harness. The change was to the trans internal wiring, and they made the connector showing outside a different color(white/black) to tell them apart.

Attachments

• 4R70W trans connector 97.jpg
    4R70W trans connector 97.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 765
  • 4R70W trans connector 98.jpg
    4R70W trans connector 98.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 750

Yea that's what I did and I also swaped in a 97 t-case. Everything started working better once I converted it all to 97 but it still seems to be in limp mode

If you have the 97 trans wiring on a 98+ trans, I'd double check those wires at the connector again.

I should mention the only code I have now is p0707 transmission range sensor A circuit low im not sure what that means yet

Ok swapped the ABS with no change ( I knew it was a long shot) so now the only thing not 97 that's tied in is the cruise control its a 99 unit and the only other one I have is the 97 sohc one that came in the truck

It's ALIVE ! ! !

After nearly 4 years of hobby work on this thing it started this afternoon, just like I had parked it only yesterday instead of 18 years ago. After a long string of issues to resolve, as always, it was the last thing I tried, the injectors.

Now all I have to do is the dozen of so things I have been putting off like ATF, coolant, PS fluid, putting the dash back together, permanently mounting the wiring harness and PCM and a few more.

I will do a much more thorough synopsis of how I got here shortly but the mysteries of PATS certainly contributed to much of the problems. Perhaps I can define at least the '98 - '01 PATS issues and solutions.

Only about 12 years ago.

It is a '00 5.0L with 11k miles on it. One of the Explorer/Firestone roll overs.

I had pulled the plugs, squirted about a tablespoon of ATF into each cylinder and then, over the past 6 months, rotated the engine a couple thousand revolutions.

Another thing that should be on everybody's list of things to think about is wasps . . . . Down here, in the land of cotton, little black wasps build mud nests in any small hole . . . like the end of hoses. I learned that about 50+ years ago and found several of the hoses on this engine from the yard plugged.

Excellent! Now that it runs the rest should be easier.

As a kid we called those spider nests, we didn't know. They like the side of a house too if it's bare wood or not really slick. I actually prefer those wasps, to the SOB's that build nests in mail boxes and door jambs etc.

Transmission controls

Earlier posts left the transmission control issue hanging regarding whether the Variable Speed Sensor (VSS) or the (Transmission) Output Shaft Sensor (OSS) provided input to the PCM for shift management.

I just found a note on page 30-3 of the Wiring Diagrams associated with the OSS that reads:

"The frequency from this sensor supplies the PCM with output shaft speed information. This information is used in determining shift scheduling, torque converter engagement schedules and EPC pressure."

That is in reference to the 2WD vehicles. The Variable Speed Sensor (VSS), located on the rear axle, is input for the PCM apparently only on the 4WD vehicles.

I would like to thank all on this forum that helped me over the past 3 years with my adventure in computer controlled engine/transmission systems. The end result is that my long term engine swap from a '00 Explorer to an '82 Volvo wagon is now complete and on the road. After another 6 months from the last post the car got an all parts, including glass, off paint job and is now ready for another 30 years of service.

IPD, a supplier of Volvo performance parts, featured the car in their monthly blog on restoration/performance projects. Here is a link: http://www.ipdusa.com/blogs/311/customer-feature-tom-porter-1982-245

Just in case anyone is interested in the hundred or so page build thread it can be found here: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=250257

Again thanks! I won't go away since I am still half Explorer.

I found these online so I thought I would add them. 1997 C115 and C116, 1999 C115 and C116, and 2000 C115 and C116. I couldn't find 1998 or 2001, but I thought these might help someone doing a 5.0 or 4R70W swap.

Celebrating 2000 miles on the engine swap

I have been able to put 2000 miles on the Volvo/Explorer in the past year without anything falling off . . . or at least anything that I have missed. The low end torque of this engine and the fact that the Volvo weighs nearly a thousand pounds less than the vehicle it came out of make it easy to smoke the right rear tire without meaning to. Getting 18 mpg in mixed driving which is less that I had hoped for but OK.

Very pleased with the results but probably wouldn't want to do it over again.

I have been able to put 2000 miles on the Volvo/Explorer in the past year without anything falling off . . . or at least anything that I have missed. The low end torque of this engine and the fact that the Volvo weighs nearly a thousand pounds less than the vehicle it came out of make it easy to smoke the right rear tire without meaning to. Getting 18 mpg in mixed driving which is less that I had hoped for but OK.

Very pleased with the results but probably wouldn't want to do it over again.

Well done and enjoy it now.

BTW, did you fix the VSS issue, controlling the shifts, by routing the OSS directly to the VSS input from the ABS(the pin that stock received the VSS from the ABS)?

I need to decide on which PCM to begin with for my 91 Lincoln.

The 96/97 302 PCM can use the straight VSS signal from the 4R trans, but it needs to have the 96/97 trans range sensor, not the 98+ DTRS range sensor.

Ok swapped the ABS with no change ( I knew it was a long shot) so now the only thing not 97 that's tied in is the cruise control its a 99 unit and the only other one I have is the 97 sohc one that came in the truck

Did you finish your swap yet?

I just skimmed through the thread again, and you needed the 96/97 GEM, matched to the transfer case(2WD or 4WD).

I don't think you needed the 98-01 ABS, your 97 PCM should take the VSS signal directly. Do you still have any shifting issues?

You likely need the 96/97 trans range sensor, instead of the 98-01 part, as TestPoint noted several times.

I got a 97 tranny and harness and a late 97 pcm to match my egr p head setup, It shifts and runs but it has been sitting for a while, I did the 4406 and AVM hubs on my wife's 99 mounty and i have all the parts to do the same to the sport, but I also need to get a new cam syncro and range sensor,the syncro I have was used and came from turdle and squeeks and I am getting a low input code from the range sensor , its the early style that had problems ,oval shaped plug with eight pins, so basically my 97 sport is now a late 97 v8 with external egr p heads with early style manifolds and return fuel system,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great, it drives. So do you mean it has the older trans range sensor(pre-1998)? Those are not expensive fortunately.

BTW, what's an AVM hub, is that a selectable hub for the 95-01 trucks?

I have custom long ARP studs in mine, and that was a pain to have done. I need to find a source for the AWD hubs that I can get the long studs installed with them when new.

Back