The Ever-Popular Subwoofer ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Ever-Popular Subwoofer ?

B

Big Worm

I , like most people, am interested in replacing the factory sub on my 92 EB with premium sound. I already have a 100W Mono amp and a getting a JL or Punch 10. What I'd like to know is: 1) Can you make an aftermarket amp work with the factory CD Player and 2) Has anyone ever removed the factory sub and "modified" it to hold an 8" or a 10" instead of shelling out the cabbage for a Q-form or JL box? I'm just looking to save a little time with this project and any help/info. would be greatly appreciated.

I was told that if you cut back the factory box, you can mount an 8 there with no problem. Let us know what you do. Anyone done it?
Good Luck

I'm pretty sure you could hook up an amp with your factory head unit. You have two options: One, buy an amp that has speaker level inputs and then splice the speaker wires to the amp's speaker level audio inputs. Two, buy an amp with RCA inputs, and also buy the line-level converter (shouldn't run more then 20 bucks at the very most). The line level converter is just an in between, meaning you'll still have to splice your speaker wires, but it then converts the connection to an RCA connection you can use on any average amp. I would say go the second route. The most difficult thing will
be finding which wire is the remote turn on lead (if it has one) if you're installing it yourself. Good luck, though, it's not that difficult with a factory head. Check out www.crutchfield.com for more info on upgrading factory stuff. Jon

Back